Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
could there be a reflux problem?

DS is 13 months and has NEVER napped decently, unless I wear him or let him nurse the whole time. If I DO get him down for a nap, like clockwork, at 30 minutes, he is awake and crying. He doesn't take a paci or thumb or anything. I was talking to a friend who said her baby had some reflux issues and had similar napping problems. I always nurse before a nap, so could that be causing a problem? He doesn't sleep great at night either, usually 4 hours is the best I'll get.

Should I ask his ped about it or is it just that he's a terrible sleeper and needs me as his pacifier?

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I'd talk to the pediatrician. I'd assume there were other reflux symptoms, but I don't know a lot about it.

In general my daughter is a crappy napper. But she sleeps great at night.

There is a 13month spurt/regression, but it's typically a short one and not entirely applicable if he's always been this way.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
melyndie
Registered Users
seller

Re: could there be a reflux problem?

My DD is 23 months, and I first noticed some reflux symptoms a few months ago. Sometimes, after putting her down asleep for the night, she would wake up again within an hour and sound really upset. But after holding her upright (often she'd burp), she would settle down again. So I started holding her upright (head on my shoulder) after nursing her before naps and bed, and that seemed to help a lot. If she was awake when I was holding her upright, sometimes I could her her gulping as if food or milk were trying to come up.

The doctor said it sounds like she does have reflux but that almost all reflux is allergy related, so we're continuing to work on helping her allergies and eliminating allergens instead of giving her reflux meds. Since she's been having fewer allergic reactions, I haven't noticed any reflux problems (even if I don't put her vertical after nursing and before putting her in her crib).
Old 05-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Does he have any symptoms of reflux, or silent reflux? DS2 had/still has severe reflux, and DS3 has GERD... DS1 was a crappy sleeper, but didn't have reflux at all.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, I wouldn't know what any symptoms would be. He was never a fussy baby when small. He's always been pretty laid back, but at the same time persistent/determined. He had what I would consider normal baby spit up that tapered off once he was able to sit up on his own. I'm thinking he's just a crappy sleeper. Actually, I felt like he was a fairly decent sleeper (for a newborn) up until 3.5-4 months. Then it seemed to all go to he**. I kept hearing about the 4 month sleep regression, then other regressions, but it's never gotten better to then again "regress". I co-slept all the time until about 8 weeks when I would start him in his crib, then upon the first wake up co-sleep after that. It's still that way, but I feel like he *should* be able to sleep all night. He just expects my boob to there. I'd like to night wean, but DH has a crazy schedule this month and needs all the sleep he can get, so asking him to help settle the baby or having to hear him fuss doesn't seem like an option right now. I tried co-sleeping and not nursing last night but ds just kept fussing and saying "na-na!!" "na-na!" I gave in just we could get some sleep. I'll never night wean at that rate!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, it doesn't sound like reflux to me. But my reflux and GERD babies have it pretty severely, so I'm not sure what a mild case would look like, or if it would affect sleep.

DS1 didn't have reflux issues, but he didn't sleep more than 3-4 hours at a time until almost 15 months old. I know it sucks, but it will get better! .
Old 05-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Babies will arch their backs when eating or stretch their necks if they have gerd.
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
ChelseaGirl7
Registered Users

Unfortunatly it does sound like he is just a lousy sleeper. If you are really desperate for him to STTN you can try searching for dr gordons night weaning method, but it is really very normal for a breastfed toddler that age to not STTN.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
pcjs
Registered Users

We had reflux and it sounds more like gas to me. My son does that and I just use some mylicon when we go in spurts where that happens. The gas can easily build up if you don't allow time after feeding.

At 13 months, some kids need those night feedings. At 2, my son has to bulk up right before bed or he wakes up hungry. He can easily have 8-16-24 oz before bed still.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Doesnt sound like reflux to me. Reflux (even silent) makes kids very unhappy and very uncomfortable most of the time, plus other obvious symptoms. If it is just a sleep issue, I wouldnt think it is reflux. My second had silent reflux BAD and I have had another daycare kid with bad reflux too....I really think you would notice more symptoms if this is it.

I know you are having a tough time with this little one though, I remember seeing some other posts. I hope things get ironed out soon.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote