Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bad BFing experiece with #1...Advice please!!

I am not currently breast feeding. We are working on our second baby though and I would like to BF with him/her (and any other children). Our son is now 9 months old. I BF him for a little over a month after he was born then quit b/c of lack of support/help from the better part of the family, going back to work, a breast pump I hated using b/c it was so loud and woke him everytime, pads that left my shirts soaked EVERY time, as well as watching what I ate and not having money to buy nursing shirts/bras. That and the hospital really pushed formula on me. I had a great supply and loved that I could feed my son from me and it was something that only he and I had together. So I had a bad experience but loved the actual BFing part. I am now a SAHM and would LOVE to BF the rest of our children. Any advice on user friendly, quiet, breast pumps to build a freezer supply with (for when we go out on dates and other such things), pads that actually keep your clothing dry (I was a very heavy leaker even within an hour of pumping/feeding), places to buy nursing shirts that won't break the bank and any other advice pertaining to my bad experience? Thanks Mommas.

Advertisement

Dani_Phen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Re: Bad BFing experiece with #1...Advice please!!

I would suggest 4 nursing tank tops from walmart with the built in bra, its nice to have the coverage of your abdomen and you can wear them under almost anything. $8 for 2 I think is what I paid for nursing bras at walmart. I never leaked but I imagine something cloth would eventually be cheaper and more absorbent for you. When you're in a bind and you're leaking everywhere, some of my friends have cut disposable menstrual pads in half (purchased on sale with a coupon of course!) and said that worked really well to stop big leaks in a pinch. What pump do you have? My medela Pump in style really wasn't that loud, I have a purely yours now, and its a little louder but even the hospital grade pumps I've used really weren't too loud. I would also suggest that you avoid pumping until at least 5-6 weeks so that your breast have time to establish supply and avoid bottle until 6-8 weeks (again if at all possible) so that your baby is well established at the breast.

ETA- did your son have allergies? why did you have to watch what you ate?

Last edited by gingerpeachee; 04-04-2012 at 06:42 AM.
gingerpeachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks. I don't remember seeing any at the wal-mart we lived near. I am keeping a look out throughout this pregnancy though on here and other places for nursing clothing. I leaked right through any cloth pads I had. I tried cutting the disposable menstrual pads in half they usually worked for a little bit but not much...I leaked ALOT. I'd use 2 breast pads at a time (1 disposable and 1 cloth normally) and still would leak through an hour after pumping. I started pumping right away though...maybe why I had so much of a problem with oversupply? We had a coupon for i think $50 off a lanisoh (sp) pump so that's what we got. It worked fine but was so loud.
I like spicy foods and I couldn't eat them which was fine. Anything that could make him gassy (and very fussy) would...broccoli, beans, a lot of veggies, chicken...He had no allergies. It was just either eat only a handful of things or listen to a baby cry and try to console him while he had gas pain and try to help him work it out. If I kept from eating a lot of veggies (which we eat A LOT of in our house) he was fine. Even now that he's on solids he gets gas from veggies and prefers to eat fruits or cereals to them.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
Raelynsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Use Lansinoh pads - they are by far the cheapest and I have never leaked through. They are also sticky on one side to adhere to the shirt or bra you are wearing so you don't lose one somewhere! I have a Madela pump and love it. I have been breastfeeding/pumping for 10 months with no problems and work full time. I truly want to say give it the best shot you can as it is very worthwhile! I did not have to watch what I ate much except for peppers as they make her gassy still. Also I did not start pumping until 5 weeks or so and currently am getting set up to donate all my extra milk like 400 ounces to a milk bank. Good luck!
Raelynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sounds like you may have pumped too much in the early days and developed an oversupply - which is another thing that can cause a fussy/gassy baby.

If you're a SAHM I would hold off on pumping for at least the first month this time around and would probably just go with a manual pump. I used the AVENT isis (while working full time) it fit me just right. If you're using a manual pump you can afford to try more.

Hopefully not pumping too much would reduce your leaking but there are lots of breastpads out there. I never really leaked so I can't help you there.

For the nursing tops and bras - Walmart and Target have them, they are just usually hidden off in a corner somewhere. I made my own nursing shirts by buying shirts tighter than I would wear in public, cutting slits in them, and wearing them under normal clothes. I'm on the app so I can't see your sig but if you're crafty at all you can probably find some tutorials on how to convert your old clothes into nursing clothes.

Aside from that - start educating yourself and family. I went into my first thinking I knew it all - I was wrong. There are a lot of "booby traps" out there and if you're not doing your own research it can be easy to fall for them.

Good luck - it's not guaranteed to go better the second time around but it usually does
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).

Last edited by cacasey1981; 04-04-2012 at 07:53 AM.
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelynsmom View Post
Use Lansinoh pads - they are by far the cheapest and I have never leaked through. They are also sticky on one side to adhere to the shirt or bra you are wearing so you don't lose one somewhere! I have a Madela pump and love it. I have been breastfeeding/pumping for 10 months with no problems and work full time. I truly want to say give it the best shot you can as it is very worthwhile! I did not have to watch what I ate much except for peppers as they make her gassy still. Also I did not start pumping until 5 weeks or so and currently am getting set up to donate all my extra milk like 400 ounces to a milk bank. Good luck!
Thanks. Knowing what I do know now, I wish I could go back and tried harder to stick with it. I got a few of them with a free bag of stuff I got when I set up my baby registry and they worked pretty well but I still had to double up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacasey1981 View Post
Sounds like you may have pumped too much in the early days and developed an oversupply - which is another thing that can cause a fussy/gassy baby.

If you're a SAHM I would hold off on pumping for at least the first month this time around and would probably just go with a manual pump. I used the AVENT isis (while working full time) it fit me just right. If you're using a manual pump you can afford to try more.

Hopefully not pumping too much would reduce your leaking but there are lots of breastpads out there. I never really leaked so I can't help you there.

For the nursing tops and bras - Walmart and Target have them, they are just usually hidden off in a corner somewhere. I made my own nursing shirts by buying shirts tighter than I would wear in public, cutting slits in them, and wearing them under normal clothes. I'm on the app so I can't see your sig but if you're crafty at all you can probably find some tutorials on how to convert your old clothes into nursing clothes.

Aside from that - start educating yourself and family. I went into my first thinking I knew it all - I was wrong. There are a lot of "booby traps" out there and if you're not doing your own research it can be easy to fall for them.

Good luck - it's not guaranteed to go better the second time around but it usually does
I did not know that pumping too early could cause that!! I really wish I had had the support and knowledge then that I have now.
I was afraid to use a manual pump b/c I was afraid it would become too cumbersome and take longer so I didn't but I might try one this time around along with the electric one I have already.
Like I said before, I could never find any at the Wal-marts in the area but I found some at target. I bought one from there but paid $17 for it. I have a a lot of old shirts in storage that are tight or were given to me by people who thought they'd fit me but didn't...I might have to try that! I'll get online and look up some things. Thanks.
I've heard that it is easier the second time around too for a lot of things so I hope it does. Thanks so much for the ideas!
Old 04-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
porky
Registered
seller

I had some old tank tops that I cut slits in at the side seams. I started a few inches down from below the armpit and cut along the seam towards the bottom of the shirt but didn't go all the way down. I wore this under another shirt. I've seen some really neat tutorials on how to make nursing shirts from old shirts.
I also wonder if pumping so soon makes you have such an over supply. Btw, I used Lansinoh breast pads. I have an evenflo breast pump and that is really loud. Breast milk is so good for your baby. And no making formula bottles! I used to have to supplement a little and having to make them bottles was so time consuming.
porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
mamably15
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Everyone else has already given some great ideas, but I would say check to see if the local hospital has a lactation consultant on staff. The one at our hospital is AWESOME and is supportive of any concerns we had or problems. The hospital also offered a class on breastfeeding to educate me and DH before baby came (we ended up being the only two in the class so it was even better!). Definitely check and see if there is someone available, because knowing what to expect before hand and having someone to support you and help you with any problems has been the biggest help to me in the first 3 months of Bf'ing my son. HTH good luck to you!
mamably15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
mamably15
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Everyone else has already given some great ideas, but I would say check to see if the local hospital has a lactation consultant on staff. The one at our hospital is AWESOME and is supportive of any concerns we had or problems. The hospital also offered a class on breastfeeding to educate me and DH before baby came (we ended up being the only two in the class so it was even better!). Definitely check and see if there is someone available, because knowing what to expect before hand and having someone to support you and help you with any problems has been the biggest help to me in the first 3 months of Bf'ing my son. HTH good luck to you!
mamably15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
lilmomma83
Registered Users

I would agree with attending a hospital breastfeeding support group and/or la leche league meetings to meet other breastfeeding moms for support. I also think you may have caused over supply, so maybe if you pump less you will leak less! I’m not a big leaker, but, I like the Lansinoh nursing pads, and actually the new Gerber Nuk pads are nice too….very similar to the Lansinoh but much cheaper. The old Gerber ones are awful…not sure if they are still sold – I just know the box I bought in February was one kind and the box I bought last week was another! Most electric pumps are noisy. My manual Avent pump works REALLY well for a manual, and it is quiet. If you are a SAHM, you can probably get by with a manual – plus you still have the other electric if you need it! I got nursing tank tops in every color available from Target – they have built in bras and cover my tummy, so then I just where a regular shirt over and lift that to nurse. I also use the one size (stretchy) maternity tanks from Motherhood Maternity over a nursing bra (again I buy from Target) and just pull the neck of the tank down to nurse (and pull regular shirt up). Mmm! Also with the leaking, you can fold your arms (very tightly) across your chest to stop the flow if you feel a letdown…I work out of my home and at least once a week I have a long meeting and no pumping break so I end up sitting there with crossed arms lol!
I really think you will be successful this time! Good for you to try again, a lot of people don’t! :-)
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote