Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Prioritizing what to buy organic?

We have slowly but surely eating more organic foods and buying more natural products. But, we do have a budget and sometimes I struggle with knowing what should take priority.

We buy the "dirty dozen" organic. Items on the "clean 15" I generally don't unless the added expense is minimal.

I buy most prepackaged items organic. Mainly this is cereal, pasta, granola bars, chicken nuggets, and chips for us.

I buy milk organic but I think the brand we have is only marginally organic, Horizon

I buy 2 pounds of organic ground beef a month, this is not all of the meat we eat but I'm making a step. Its 3-4 meals worth of beef for us.

Are there certain foods it is more important?

And what about body products? My unresearched thought that is if it coats my whole body then I want it organic. So our soaps, lotions, sunscreens are the safe brands. Toothpaste is too. Deodorant depends on the day.

Cleaners-we do use safe cleaners, this isn't too much of an added expense so I don't have a hard time keeping that up.

That's a brief summary of us. Am I on the right track? Any tips on what is more important to get organic or not?

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Prioritizing what to buy organic?

Sounds like you're on the right track to me I buy all my food organic, and I think when I first started out I also made sure my grains were organic (so organic whole wheat bread, etc). That is of course if you eat grains.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
We get a half a grass fed local steer (not organic per se) and do what you do with a few additions/exceptions.

We avoid Horizon and go for Organic Valley. We recently started farm milk and egg shares.

We belong to an organic produce CSA that runs June-November.

We are 99% plastic free with regard to food storage and we do not eat from plastic.

We just use vinegar and castile soap for cleaning.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It is recommended to buy all fresh soft skinned fruit organic. So, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, etc. We buy organic milk.

What is wrong with Horizon?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 05-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Grass-fed milk is more important than organic; I would get natural by nature brand if it's available where you live. Most grass-fed is organic, but most organic milk is not grass-fed, if that makes sense. Horizon is better than some, but make sure that you're not getting UHT pasteurized- it pretty much negates the value of the "organic" label.

Grass-fed meats are what focus on, also. I also make sure that I buy organic potatoes, and corn. Organic potatoes just taste a lot better and don't cost a whole lot extra, and most of the corn in the US is GMO, so I make sure to buy organic because it's the only way to be sure that it's not GMO.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
Grass-fed milk is more important than organic; I would get natural by nature brand if it's available where you live. Most grass-fed is organic, but most organic milk is not grass-fed, if that makes sense. Horizon is better than some, but make sure that you're not getting UHT pasteurized- it pretty much negates the value of the "organic" label.

Grass-fed meats are what focus on, also. I also make sure that I buy organic potatoes, and corn. Organic potatoes just taste a lot better and don't cost a whole lot extra, and most of the corn in the US is GMO, so I make sure to buy organic because it's the only way to be sure that it's not GMO.
Actually, I've heard the opposite. They can be fed grass ONE TIME in order for the food to be labeled grass fed. It's organic AND grass fed that really matters. Grass fed and "natural" or some other labeling basically is nothing.

TO OP: The dirty dozen in fruits and veggies, meat/eggs, and dairy is what we focus on food wise. If you need to save, pre packaged items like cereal and granola isn't quite as important (though nice if you can afford it.) I just make sure and read labels, especially with non organic.

Last edited by bigmamakelsey; 05-01-2012 at 02:33 PM.
bigmamakelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
Elijah'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post

TO OP: The dirty dozen in fruits and veggies, meat/eggs, and dairy is what we focus on food wise. If you need to save, pre packaged items like cereal and granola isn't quite as important (though nice if you can afford it.) I just make sure and read labels, especially with non organic.
Elijah'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, I'm not doing too bad then. I think I will keep trying to get more grass fed organic meat. The 2 lbs we get now is grass fed. I do good with organic milk and yogurt but not cheese. I like all the convenient varieties you can buy cheese in, lol. Grading and slicing my own sounds like tons of work, but I suppose I can handle it

I remember reading somewhere that Horizon pushes the limits of what is organic but that is my only organic option unless I go to walmart and get their brand. I was thinking the organic status is state by state defined too???

What is UHT pasteurized? Will it say that on the package?

We still eat from plastic I'm more conscious of it and the types of plastic, but plastic is still very much a part of our lunch packing lives. We'll get there. The boys' thermos's are stainless I wish I could find more small stainless containers. The reusable bags just aren't working out like I'd hoped.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Off the top of my head I don't know what UHT stands for, but that is milk that has been treated at a higher temperature (maybe that is the HT?). I think it is heated to 190 degrees vs 180 for regular milk. Those milks (and other dairy products) have a longer shelf life. I believe Organic Valley is a UHT milk. In my experience the ones on the shelf with a long expiration date at UHT.

We buy directly from the farm/creamery. Our milk is good for 17 days from when it is milked.

I would also say that ALL dairy products should be bought organic.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

We still store and heat in plastic, I need to get more glass. But the only thing is we buy water because all our taps are hooked up to the water softener. But all the water you buy comes in plastic (we get a big jug with a spout built in). Is there any other option?

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote