Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:08 AM   #11
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Basically it's Tuesday!!!

Girls are off at school, 1 of 6 loads of laundry started, before I unload the dishwasher. Sully has to be in his highchair or he will "help", and it's almost time for some breakfast!

I have to meet with Elli's teacher re: my concern that she might be dyslexic. I'm no expert but something just seems off with her end of first grade reading/writing/spelling skills.

Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #12
jacksmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hope it goes well steph and you can get some answers. I can't believe how far jacks fine motor skills have come. Of course he is receiving 4x per week help...
Old 05-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #13
slaloms
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Morning At the gym
slaloms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #14
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Steph, what always helps me is to compare the writings of other kids in the class. At the girls school now they usually post stories/essays written by everyone in the class on the walls outside the rooms. So you can see what is typical for each grade fairly easily. I was REALLY worried about the girls' handwriting last year, until I volunteered in the classroom and saw what everyone else was doing. Ginger's is still very rough but not really out of the range of normal, just the low end of normal. But transposing letters, spelling phonetically instead of the proper way, etc is very normal at that age. In fact they encourage the kids to spell it like it sounds instead of look it up like I taught my kids. That is apparently the norm in teaching at that level now.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #15
redgirlsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hi everyone! I don't have plans to be anywhere today so I am on my own agenda I have a ton of stuff to do though, don't get me wrong
I will try to do 6 loads like Steph, I need to return a library book, get milk, make salsa, clean the fridge, call the dentist and deep clean some bathrooms.

"Oh, dear. I really ought to do something. But I am all ready in my pajamas."
redgirlsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #16
redgirlsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My neighbor had thought her dd was dyslexic and took her to an eye doctor. Her 2nd grader is doing much better with her bifocals now. I think E was similar with his writing not matching his reading level, but huge changes with glasses

Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #17
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also need to do six loads of laundry and return some really overdue library books. Gah.

I've been trying to do laundry, then take the clean stuff to the new house. Which makes for some interesting clothing choices here with what is left.

I also need to think of dinner ideas. You know, the whole reason for not living in the house while the kitchen was being renovated was to avoid being slaves to takeout and convenience meals. But it seems we have been anyway, because I spend so much time going back and forth.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #18
redgirlsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cheryl we had a really good rice cooker meal last night. Brown rice cooked in chicken broth while green beans steamed then when done you mixed in shredded Cheddar cheese. I had just that, the rest ate it with fish.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #19
mom2sadieandbean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We don't do phonetic spelling here. Kids are taught rules for spelling words as they need them and encouraged to ask if they don't know.
mom2sadieandbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #20
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Mmmm, that sounds good Jess.

I guess I need to look at some other first grade writing samples. I don't really have an opportunity to see her classmate's work, until I go to speak to her teacher about the issue. Here is a paper she brought home from school recently, and here is something she wrote in her journal a few weeks ago. Do either of these things look a bit off for the end of first grade to you? I mean she does spell phonetically, but she leaves out vowels. And she does transpose, but not just b and d (she used to do 2s and E and 3, but has started getting those right), she gets the letters in words mixed up. She also has a lot of trouble with math facts.