Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #21
ruvalokiteshvara
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Basically it's Tuesday!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgirlsmama View Post
My neighbor had thought her dd was dyslexic and took her to an eye doctor. Her 2nd grader is doing much better with her bifocals now. I think E was similar with his writing not matching his reading level, but huge changes with glasses
This is true. E's handwriting improved by leaps and bounds once we got his glasses on him. And he didn't have any of the tell-tale signs that he needed glasses, since he was born with his astigmatism. Well, he did get close to the TV, but we just thought he liked TV. And he wasn't very adventurous about climbing/running/jumping. And now that I think about it, all that time he took cruising along furniture might also have been an indicator. But when your kid is like that from the beginning, you just think "Oh, that is his temperament" instead of "Oh, I bet he can't see anything"!

Advertisement

Freethinker - Free Ranger - Free for All
ruvalokiteshvara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #22
ruvalokiteshvara
Registered Users

My Mood:

Actually, Steph, based on those examples, I might think dyslexia as well. It looks kind of like she has learned the basics of sight-words, but can't quite make her recollection of the letters behave with her understanding of them.

Freethinker - Free Ranger - Free for All
ruvalokiteshvara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #23
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

The Owls paper was done at school. The journal entry was made one evening at bedtime. I know people say dyslexia is worse when you are tired, hurried, etc. The journal was also a "rough draft" where I'm sure the Owl paper was a "best" copy.
I am worried that she will continue to get behind, as her teacher already reports that she completes work slowly. She is in IEP for her reading. I was planning on trying to homeschool again for 2nd grade, but I don't know if that would be better or worse, if she is in fact dyslexic.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #24
redgirlsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think it looks pretty good
I am no expert though. Dishes done, laundry rebooted, one load folded and put away. I have another to fold once I get refried beans started in the cp.
Ru how are you holding up?

"Oh, dear. I really ought to do something. But I am all ready in my pajamas."
redgirlsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #25
yaylucy
Registered Users
seller

Location: I live in Arlington, Texas, but travel for work. Currently located in Morgantown WV
My Mood:
Morning drowning myself in books right now

Sent from my iPhone that thinks it can read minds, using DS Forum, pardon any auto corrects or mistakes
Old 05-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #26
redgirlsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Refried beans in the crockpot. Time for granola bars. It goes *so* much faster with my cooking assistant, Lydia

Old 05-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #27
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
Formerly: whitehologram
seller

My Mood:

It looks good to me too, for first grade. Derry makes those same mistakes, Shannon did too and she was tested for Dyslexia and doesn't have it.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #28
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for your input Janine. I have been looking at writing samples online, and some are similar, some are much better...I guess I will just meet with her teacher/the school and see what they have to say. I have always kind of wondered if Avery was dyslexic, since she is a terrible speller, can't remember a list of several things I ask her to do, is very disorganized, is a daydreamer, etc. But, I always dismissed it as her just being a kid. I have no idea how to go about getting an official diagnosis, but I guess I need to have them tested, so if they are I can help them in whatever specific way I am supposed to.
Lunch time! And I'm only on load 2 of laundry, and the dishes are still not done. Baby is napping though, so we are going to have some lunch.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #29
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
Formerly: whitehologram
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephcrouse View Post
Thanks for your input Janine. I have been looking at writing samples online, and some are similar, some are much better...I guess I will just meet with her teacher/the school and see what they have to say. I have always kind of wondered if Avery was dyslexic, since she is a terrible speller, can't remember a list of several things I ask her to do, is very disorganized, is a daydreamer, etc. But, I always dismissed it as her just being a kid. I have no idea how to go about getting an official diagnosis, but I guess I need to have them tested, so if they are I can help them in whatever specific way I am supposed to.
Lunch time! And I'm only on load 2 of laundry, and the dishes are still not done. Baby is napping though, so we are going to have some lunch.
Talk to their teachers. They will tell you if they have been thinking the same thing and will have them tested in school if you want them tested.

It's good to get them tested, even if it turns out not to be dyslexia....better to get checked and find out you dont need help rather than find out they needed help and have been struggling all their lives.

Last edited by ~whitehologram~; 05-01-2012 at 10:10 AM.
~whitehologram~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #30
redgirlsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think eye doctors have a way of testing that.
I just screamed (several times) like I was being murdered. Henry dropped a dead robin at my feet.... on the carpet. I don't like living birds in general. They scare the crap out of me. I was so scared that it was stunned and would all of a sudden start flying around the house. But I was simultaneously frozen in fear and could only stare at it and scream. With the door open an d recess going across the street I need a cocktail.