Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #91
estradaamyl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: August 2011 - May chat

Stripes behind the bars, love it!

I have a question for you ladies. I was watching my 2 day care kids today. Izzy comes and tells me that she asked the little girl if she wanted to play with her and the girl said no. She asked why and the girl said "I wish you would DIE!" Izzy came to me in tears. I sent the girl to time out and had a long talk to her about it. She is 3 and I'm not sure she even knows what death is. I just didn't want it repeated. She constantly tells my kids she hates them, they are boring etc. again she's 3! I talked to Mom about it today and she blew it off and said, "Oh, she is just so dramatic." Did I handle this okay, or is this normal behavior? Am I just sheltering my kids here, or is this kinda crazy?

Advertisement

estradaamyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #92
sblakeley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by estradaamyl
Stripes behind the bars, love it!

I have a question for you ladies. I was watching my 2 day care kids today. Izzy comes and tells me that she asked the little girl if she wanted to play with her and the girl said no. She asked why and the girl said "I wish you would DIE!" Izzy came to me in tears. I sent the girl to time out and had a long talk to her about it. She is 3 and I'm not sure she even knows what death is. I just didn't want it repeated. She constantly tells my kids she hates them, they are boring etc. again she's 3! I talked to Mom about it today and she blew it off and said, "Oh, she is just so dramatic." Did I handle this okay, or is this normal behavior? Am I just sheltering my kids here, or is this kinda crazy?
I'm voting not normal.... I mean DD at 4.5 loves to watch murder mystery shows like castle and bones and she doesn't use those words even though she sees it. And yes I know not the best choice in TV she loves the 'sciency' part.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #93
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Amy--I think you handled it well. Are you sheltering your kids--I do not think so at all. I am not sure I would want my children to say those things or be told those things. They are hearing it from somewhere though. Could be other children, could be tv, could be parents, maybe cousins. I think though you just let Izzy know that she did the right thing to come to you and that she should always come to you. That how dc child acted is not how they they should act and nobody is allowed to treat her that way.

As for dc child, If you haven't already just let her know certain behaviors are not allowed in your house.

So sorry you had to deal with this. I get children not sharing and wanting to play by themselves or even being bossy--but telling someone to die or wanting them to die I don't think is normal.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #94
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I don't know what I would do in that situation. I think you did what you could. I do think it's strange that a 3yo knows that word and used it correctly in context. I'd be wondering what she is watching/listening to at home. If it were continuing though, those kinds of words and just general meanness everyday, I don't think I could keep watching them. I wouldn't want my kids to ever feel like they are bullied in their own home kwim?

I don't think your too sheltering. Obviously this little girl has seen/heard some adult stuff.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #95
heyuitsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You did just fine Amy. I think you can try and explain to the little girl that she cannot talk like that in your house. Kids can adapt to different rules at different places.
It should not be normal for kids to talk that way, in my opinion, but it sounds like the mom has heard her talk that way before and is not concerned, which is too bad. Like others said, likely picking it up from tv, or parents.

oy, kids pick up the worst stuff. sydney has picked up "what the heck" (from me ) and "what a jerk" (from looney toons...trying to "lose" those dvds for a while.) eh, such little mirrors to my life.

and off to sew some more...dah! I'm going to be up forever.
heyuitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #96
estradaamyl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks you guys, I really do appreciate it. They really don't allow her to watch tv. They told me they don't want their kids to watch anything, but I told them that we just don't miss Ellen around here. Either way, I let Izzy know she did the right thing. I'm super proud of the big girl she is becoming before my eyes.
estradaamyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #97
Lifeisjoy
Registered Users
Formerly: Chatt-townmommy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Amy, i have taught babies to 4 yr olds and that is not normal dramatic stuff. Also that would upset me if the mom blew me off and said she was just being dramatic. She must have heard it from home or whatever alot to use it in context too! Most kids just say go away! But not i wish you would die! If it happens again or general over the top meanness i woould talk with the mom again and makee ssure she is serious about it, telling the kid that is not what we say etc...yes your kids should not have to deal with that in their own house. And before you know it they might pick up that behavior too! Yikes.
Mama to Malachi(12/31/08) and Micah(8/13/11) and with #3!
Lifeisjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #98
sugar_crystalz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Morning girls! Looks like a gorgeous day today! Anyone doing anything for Mother's Day? I'm super excited to see what the girls made me- there's a pile of stuff in my dining room from them. Other than that, just having a chill weekend. We have a housewarming cookout to go to tonight so that should be fun.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #99
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Hello all!!

Dh is gone all day to a softball tournament in St Louis so me and the kiddos are just doing whatever. Had planned to see a movie with them but our theater is small and we only get a select few, those few are not child friendly so instead we had sonic for lunch and now were at the YMCA swimming. I expected the child watch to be open for dd so I could enjoy some big kid time but their closed. So dd and I are siting on the deck hollering the boys!

I have the Indian in the Cupboard DVR'd so when everyone is tuckered out maybe they'll be persuaded to let me nap with dd

Tomorrow dd is being dedicated at church and then were having lunch with my grandparents. That's it for mothers day. I'm getting the feeling Dh hasn't done anything.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #100
Lifeisjoy
Registered Users
Formerly: Chatt-townmommy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Happy mothers day to mee! Lol my MIL is here for 2 weeks in my house.. she is ok mostt of the time. And then my mom and dad are MOVING here thurs!! Yes they bought a house a few mins down the road and are moving from vermont to mississippi!! So pray for me this week yall! They will be in my house for a few days together... :/
Mama to Malachi(12/31/08) and Micah(8/13/11) and with #3!
Lifeisjoy is offline   Reply With Quote