Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
aimeeturd
Registered Users

My Mood:
Severe ankle swelling after c-section

Did anyone have severe swelling in their ankles about 5 days post c-section? I'm just wondering if this is normal and what I can do to make it go away. I also had mild preeclampsia so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

aimeeturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
dmj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Severe ankle swelling after c-section

I would contact or go to your dr. asap (not the er, but an appointment). Swelling can mean so many things that it is difficult to tell what the issue is. If you get any pain in your leg that feels like a charlie horse, red streaking down your leg, trouble breathing or your leg is red and feels hot to the touch get to the er right away! If you have of those signs you could have a blood clot! If the blood clot travels to your heart, lungs or brain you can have a serious problem.
I had 2 blood clots in my leg after knee surgery and a 3rd one moved to my heart. The 3rd one broke up when it hit my heart, so it only had about 100 tiny blood clots when they hit my lungs. I am fine now. I had to spend almost 1 week in the hospital, 6 months on blood thinners and now I have to wear a compression stocking. Blood clots can be common after certain operations (knee surgery) as well as child birth and c-sections as well.
Just keep an eye on it. Keep it elevated and try to stay off of it as much as possible.
dmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

pre-e can get worse after birth. I'd call your OB asap.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ankles and leg swelling can occur after iv fluids. Mine were like sausages for about a week. Call your dr if your concerned but i bet it could be from that.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:59 AM   #5
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

-Because you had pre-e, I would call the doctor. It could be related to that so you better check in just to rule that out.

-It also can be normal (all the iv fluids they pump into you during and after the c-section can cause swelling for the first week... I had it with all 3 of my c/s recoveries).
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

I'd call the doc, just in case. I always leave the hospital incredible swollen. Can barely bend my ankles. And for weeks I hold all the IV fluids and stay as heavy or heavier as when I checked in. So it COULD be normal, but I would call to make sure.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
CM6755
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
Ankles and leg swelling can occur after iv fluids. Mine were like sausages for about a week. Call your dr if your concerned but i bet it could be from that.

I had frankenfeet, sausage toes, and cankles for about a week AFTER I GOT HOME, spent 4 days in hospital.
That being said...I agree with PP who said: "I would contact or go to your dr. asap (not the er, but an appointment). Swelling can mean so many things that it is difficult to tell what the issue is. If you get any pain in your leg that feels like a charlie horse, red streaking down your leg, trouble breathing or your leg is red and feels hot to the touch get to the er right away! If you have of those signs you could have a blood clot! If the blood clot travels to your heart, lungs or brain you can have a serious problem."

When in doubt, call the doc...always. Sometimes insurance co's have a nurse line, mine has a healthy preggo program and it's own line (United Healthcare).
Old 07-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My feet and ankles didn't start to swell until after I'd been home for several days. For me, it was normal (but baffling), and it went away after about a week or so.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
maramarrie
Registered Users
seller

I would call, just as pp suggested. I don't know enough about pre-e and the effects.

That said, I had an unplanned c/s after being pumped full of IV fluids all day during labor. In the days following, my feet and ankles swelled tremendously as the fluid settled there. My skin was stretched so tight I could feel it pulling when I lifted up on my toes. I called the nurse, it was just fluid, and in my case nothing serious. I hope this is the same for you, but it can't hurt to call, especially with your history.
maramarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
tats1984
Registered Users

I would check with your doc but I was VERY swollen before baby, and after for about a week, but I just tried to keep my feet up as much as possible and it went away on it's own. Good luck!
tats1984 is offline   Reply With Quote