Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
5littlesweeties
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pushing Breast Away While Nursing

My ds is 9 months old and he's been pushing my breast and pulling his head back while nursing? Is that normal, is it a symptom of reflux maybe. It's making for some painful nursing.

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pushing Breast Away While Nursing

My 8 month old is bad for that! She has had reflux since the beginning, but I think it is more them being nosy and busy, they pull around to see things, always want to keep their hands busy too! Also, the pulling and pushy is often if they don't think there is enough milk/it isn't coming fast enough! They tend to be impatient :P (And given baby's age, if your period has recently come back or is coming soon, your supply can be a bit lower which can make this behaviour more noticeable)

I'm with you, sore nipples from the pulling, ow!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
5littlesweeties
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
He nurses like a little puppy or kitten trying to push the milk out
Old 05-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Connor
Registered Users
seller

My DS tried to do that when he was younger. It will prob cause you a good bit of soreness if it hasn't already. My DS would latch on well then push back making his latch shallow. I would put my arm behind him and be ready to apply pressure if he tried to push back. He didn't like it but eventually realized that was the only way I would allow him to nurs
Old 05-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
ikitakunai
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My baby girl sort of does this, but for us it is from overactive letdown. The milk comes too fast, so she pulls back.
BF #1-31mos / #2-29mos & counting
ikitakunai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

My first guess would be that he's wanting to look around. DD became way too busy to nurse quietly around that age
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5littlesweeties
My ds is 9 months old and he's been pushing my breast and pulling his head back while nursing? Is that normal, is it a symptom of reflux maybe. It's making for some painful nursing.
He's distracted, bored and obviously doesn't want to nurse. It can get very tiresome, do when it starts like that with my LO's, they are gone nursing. I can't always be at their leisure with other kids. It's absurdly common and not really an indication of something worrisome. Sure if he gulp, pulled away and cried, reflux. But otherwise, it's a really common routine breastfed baby action
Old 05-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981

He's distracted, bored and obviously doesn't want to nurse. It can get very tiresome, do when it starts like that with my LO's, they are gone nursing. I can't always be at their leisure with other kids. It's absurdly common and not really an indication of something worrisome. Sure if he gulp, pulled away and cried, reflux. But otherwise, it's a really common routine breastfed baby action
When my DS went through it, it wasn't when he was done nursing. He did it right after he latched on and wanted to do it the entire nursing session. He didn't want to come off the breast, he wanted to be on really shallow with his latch, which hurt!! He'd latch on good then push against me and pull back until he was basically only on my nipple. It was just the way he wanted to nurse. After only a few sessions I started doing what I posted above.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
stolpkm
Registered Users

When my LO did that, she was normally just playing, not really hungry.
stolpkm is offline   Reply With Quote