Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #11
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I don't know what to do, 4yo leaving the house

We have a chain lock at the top of our doors leading to the outside. Its at the top so there is no way they can reach it unless they are standing on a ladder.
I would seriously consider using an eye hook on the outside of her bedroom door as well so she couldn't get out on her own.

Advertisement

Last edited by Kimmyann; 05-02-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

Are locks that expensive to install? I donno, as Im in India and locks are there on almost all doors. With two keys between the you and your DH, you should be good to go..unless your dd figures out where you've kept the key and manages to open that also.

However,if it were me, no matter how cash-strapped Im, for the sake of my kids' safety, I would install locks. I dread to think of the things that may happen to her. When little girls are being lifted out of houses at night, I wouldnt for a second more risk her going out of the house without me knowing. Should something happen to her, wouldnt you give an arm and a leg to have her back safe? Might as well spend for a lock now and be safe.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

And as Kimmyann suggested, an eye-hook OUTSIDE of her door, will also keep her safe.

Last edited by Bhavana; 05-02-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Bhavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
mommyfrog
Registered Users

When my kids were doing that, I did three things. I put door knob covers on the knobs, chain locks at the top of the doors, and door alarms. I wasn't going to mess around even though we lived in a fairly safe neighborhood on a dead end road. Something can happen in an instant and nothing can bring them back. We lost my youngest brother when he was 18. He was missing for three weeks before his body was found and it is the most terrible feeling in the world. Keep those babies as safe as you can.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #15
topazdodge
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think something that no one has mentioned is that putting a lock on your dd's bedroom door or a gate so that she can't get down would be a fire hazard and unsafe if there were an emergent situation. Even if they were getting out of their rooms too early in the morning, I would never want to lock my kids in their rooms for fear of what might happen if they really needed to get out and couldn't. I would think that maybe the alarm on her bedroom door would be the best so that you know when she is getting up. Maybe also a different clock in her room and work with her on knowing when it is ok for her to come wake you up and when it's too early. Does she have toys, puzzles, books, etc in her room to occupy her quietly in the morning when she wakes up? A sippy cup of water or something? Maybe she is just going to be an early riser. Maybe also you could leave your bedroom door open or even use a baby monitor system so you can hear her better.

Free Crochet Longies Instructions Here
topazdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #16
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by topazdodge
I think something that no one has mentioned is that putting a lock on your dd's bedroom door or a gate so that she can't get down would be a fire hazard and unsafe if there were an emergent situation. Even if they were getting out of their rooms too early in the morning, I would never want to lock my kids in their rooms for fear of what might happen if they really needed to get out and couldn't. I would think that maybe the alarm on her bedroom door would be the best so that you know when she is getting up. Maybe also a different clock in her room and work with her on knowing when it is ok for her to come wake you up and when it's too early. Does she have toys, puzzles, books, etc in her room to occupy her quietly in the morning when she wakes up? A sippy cup of water or something? Maybe she is just going to be an early riser. Maybe also you could leave your bedroom door open or even use a baby monitor system so you can hear her better.
Most times, I would agree. But in this situation, I think the risk/benefit is worth it to put in the locks. This child has escaped numerous times, even during the day.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #17
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyIvy
Last week, my husband left early to go job hunting and didn't say goodbye to anyone because we were all asleep. My 4yo wasn't, and got out of the house to chase him. I woke up to a stranger knocking on my door returning her.

Three days ago I woke up to find my kids gone. Door open, nowhere on site. My daughter had woken up early, got her brother up, and they left the house. We found them at the neighbors playing with her 3 year old.

This morning we woke to another knock on the door with yet someone else returning her.

I'm at a loss. She does not understand she did anything wrong. Any time I ask her a question, she just repeats what I say and we get nowhere.

I'm just so stressed about this, I have no idea what to do. Also, my husband was leads of three Weeks ago, the car died, and we got a notice today about or mortgage not being paid. So I'm a little stressed lately, so this isn't helping
I'm concerned about your 4yr old.. Honestly. At 3, especially 4, the concept SHOULD hit home. Forgive me for asking, but is she on the spectrum?

For one, get a pool alarm. It attaches to a door, any door and will wake up EVERYONE if the door is opened. A mama on here, lost her 17 month old baby from a tragic accident and it is NOT safe to have your children out of your sight, obviously.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #18
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhavana View Post
And as Kimmyann suggested, an eye-hook OUTSIDE of her door, will also keep her safe.
Not safe in case of fire. I'd use a door knob cover or baby gate.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #19
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
I'm concerned about your 4yr old.. Honestly. At 3, especially 4, the concept SHOULD hit home. Forgive me for asking, but is she on the spectrum?

For one, get a pool alarm. It attaches to a door, any door and will wake up EVERYONE if the door is opened. A mama on here, lost her 17 month old baby from a tragic accident and it is NOT safe to have your children out of your sight, obviously.
I know a lot of kids like this and it has nothing to do with autism.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #20
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs

I know a lot of kids like this and it has nothing to do with autism.
Really? I have a incredibly large network of children in my life (not from message boards) and the only children I've heard of to do a thing at such an old age are on spectrum. The inability to grasp the extreme danger of leaving the house. Especially with a sibling. Now, younger kids.. Yes.. But 4 is when some children start kinder here. No Ill went with my question, it's just been my experience. I know quite a few autistic children and it's certainly a few of their MO's.