Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #21
silver
Registered Users
seller

Re: I don't know what to do, 4yo leaving the house

Key only lock.

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #22
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I agree keeping her locked in her room is not a good idea. I would get bells for her door, and a gate to keep her either in her room, the hallway, or your room. I would also put a key only lock on the doors leading outside.

What time is she waking up? This is a great opportunity to start working with her on time, as a pper mentioned you could put a clock in her room and tell her to play in her room until a certain time, then come get you.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #23
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Really? I have a incredibly large network of children in my life (not from message boards) and the only children I've heard of to do a thing at such an old age are on spectrum. The inability to grasp the extreme danger of leaving the house. Especially with a sibling. Now, younger kids.. Yes.. But 4 is when some children start kinder here. No Ill went with my question, it's just been my experience. I know quite a few autistic children and it's certainly a few of their MO's.

I don't think all four year olds have the same fear as other kids. Some kids can be told "it's not safe, a coyote could kill you" and they'd be terrified to open the door. Other four year olds will say "No.. I'll kill the coyote" and even give you a visual of their ninja skills.

BUT, I do expect that a four year old would understand "Do not EVER open the front door again!!" <--not in my optional sweet voice either......then i'd have a severe consequence. (I can't even think of an appropriate severe consequence though...LOL)

If there's no consequence, and only sweet lecture, she has no reason to learn anything. She might comprehend it, but doesn't really care. It's like a speeding ticket. If you were only going to get a letter in the mail saying how it's dangerous to speed, you would probably still speed...but, since you are going to get an expensive ticket, and points on your insurance, you tend to be more mindful of it.

I still think she just needs a little lock. I understand money being very tight...so, I would never suggest an expensive lock right now. But, I do think a .75 lock will at least slow her down.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #24
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Dollar tree in my area has door alarms. You can put it high up on the outside. Set it when she goes to bed and if she opens her bedroom door ... the alarm will sound. I would not lock a 4 year old in her room because that will lead to lots of peed pj's!

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #25
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh and I would also clean your house. Most people would report to CPS if they found a small child wandering around alone. ( Just in case)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #26
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I would get the hook and eye metal locks and install them up high where she can't reach.
Yep. And a key lock for the door DH leaves from in the morning.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #27
KB'sMama1031
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I would get the hook and eye metal locks and install them up high where she can't reach.
we have these, they are great! very cheap and easily found at any hardware store, you dont even need tools to install them, they just screw right in (although it is easier if you put a screwdriver through the eye-hole and use that to spin it) we have them on all of the closet doors throughout the house that I do not want DS to get into, including his bi-fold closet doors in his room
we also have a gate on his room and if we had stairs, they would be gated as well
I think you should either get a double keyed deadbolt, so that your DH can lock up behind himself or just invest in a couple of baby gates, you can usually find them on your local craigslist!

I personally would not want my DS running all over the house while I was sleeping, I would much rather him be stuck in his room and have the peace of mind that he is safe... I couldnt imagine if he actually got out of the house!
the cheapest option is probably just latching your kids door on the outside (way up high) so they cant leave in the morning
but as other mamas have said, its a good idea to have multiple safety features in use at once for the best result

Last edited by KB'sMama1031; 05-02-2012 at 05:29 PM.
KB'sMama1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #28
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My SIL's DD did this, she even made it accrossed the street to my MIL's house. I was there it was scary because they live on a busy street. My SIL did the eye bolt or even a slide bolt on the top of the door.

But because it was when hubs went to work I would add a deadbolt. He needs to be dilagent about locking it when he leaves. It will need to be habitt for this my SIL put in one of those touch key locks. It was the best thing for her. HTH.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #29
hiding57
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs

Not safe in case of fire. I'd use a door knob cover or baby gate.
Seriously? People expect a kid who can't remember not to leave the house for safety to be able to safely leave the house alone* in a fire? I just don't follow that.

*if they're not alone then someone else is there to open the door.
hiding57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #30
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

we have locks at the top of doors we don't want him using without us as well as an alarm system that beeps when windows or doors open. If those are out of the question I would probably attach really loud bells to the door at night for the mornings? lol