Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
kts1120
Registered Users
seller
seller

Need help choosing milk UPDATE POST 17

DD2 is ready to start having "real" milk and I'm undecided what to give her. Some things I've read about soy and other milk substitues indicate that they don't provide enough good fat and protein.

DD1 drinks organic cows milk, but some things I've read said that milk can lead to iron deficiencies and can affect the flavor of food. She a super picky eater. I'd like both of them to drink the same thing if possible.

What do you ladies give for milk?

Advertisement

Last edited by kts1120; 05-05-2012 at 07:52 PM.
kts1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
lilangel8185
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need help choosing milk

I use 1% but ialso use whole milk for the little two, I dont worry bout it if they drink 1% or the bigger kids drink whole. We also drink soy when its on sale & I have coupons, however I have also heard that some soy doesn't have as many good fats or vitamins. I would say if both of the kids are younger just use whole milk, since its reccomened till 2 anyways b/c of the fats and protiens.
lilangel8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have a lactouse intolerant toddler, so we have gone back to lactouse free, but both my girls can tollerate upto 2% before it starts to give them gassy. Now my youngest eats yogurt, and hard cheeses. I try and supplement the fat in yogurts, cottage cheese, and hard cheeses (I don't buy low fat or fat free, I get full fat). That way they can get the bennifits and I have found it helps them tollerate milk lactose. If they get a bad intestinal virus, I have to start all over again. Its a cycle, but they benifit from it. I also found hummus makes a good stuffing in stuffed shells.... who knew.

HTHs.
~ Enne
Old 05-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
OurAllenBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first choice is always grass fed raw cows milk but that can be hard to find so..
I would say organic whole milk if you can find one that is not UHT or ultra-pasteurized. There is only one brand in my area that come in a regular gallon and is just regular pasteurized and not UHT, but it is almost always sold out.
If you can't find a non-UHT organic than I would go with a milk that at least has the no bovine growth hormone pledge on it. Here our regular store brand milk is rbst-free.
The iron issues really only come into play if your child is drinking 3 or more cups per day (which they shouldn't be drinking that much).

I would not give my children soy milk for a multitude of reasons, the primary being that soy is only fit for human consumption after fermentation, and the phytoestrogens.

I would not give my children any reduce fat milk options, nor will I drink it myself. Reduced fat has powdered milk added back into to improve the flavor. Powdered milk is a carcinogen.
http://www.bodyearth.net/milk/worth-...-low-fat-milk/

I do on occasion use rice, almond or coconut milks, as long as I can find one without a crazy amount of sugar and with very limited ingredients.
ETA: These options do not however, contain the fat the growing toddler brain needs. So, I use these for myself and cooking. Not for the kids to drink. Children need saturated fat and cholesterol! Did you know that breast milk is one of the highest sources of cholesterol?

Last edited by OurAllenBaby; 05-02-2012 at 12:47 PM.
OurAllenBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
kts1120
Registered Users
seller
seller

It seems like milk is a touchy subject lately. DD1 does drink organic whole cows milk. I will look for the non-UHT-didn't know about that. We used to buy our store brand, but it hasn't been available so we've been using Organic Valley. I just looked at the carton and it does say ultra-pasteurized. Raw milk is probably not an option for us, anyway, but I may have to research that a bit. There's so much conflicting information out there!

DD2 just turned 1 last week and is still nursing, but we are starting to just have 2 sessions a day, morning and bedtime so that I can stop pumping at work. I've also considered just keeping her on formula during the day a bit longer, but not sure if that's necessary or has a benefit over milk at this point. She eats a wide variety of solids.
kts1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
OurAllenBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, milk always seems to be a touchy issue for people. We all want to do the best for our children and often when people debate food issues it can seem like we are being judged for our choices.
I've noticed this is particularly true among the "green" crowd. They are two distinct groups. Those that prefer raw milk because it is natural and those that prefer non-dairy milk alternatives.

Here's a link that has some good info about UHT milk. I personally will not touch it with a 10-foot pole.
http://www.foodrenegade.com/just-say-no-to-uht-milk/
Old 05-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
hiding57
Registered Users
seller

We use different all the time, my kids don't drink it straight but I try to expose them to different milks so they get used to it. So we use soy sometimes organic cow most times and plain coconut sometimes. Coconut ends up in smoothies mostly.
hiding57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:

We use almond milk. We've used raw in the past, and I really liked it, but honestly I'm torn in all of my research. Most of me thinks that all dairy probably isn't the best choice, and we did recently have an outbreak (ecoli I think?) at a raw dairy nearby. After everything I read, I do think that most of the benefits of dairy are completely nullified by the pasteurization process, and that the things such as protein, calcium, A & D are better off coming from other foods, mainly vegetables.

So... for now I think almond milk is the best choice for us, though I did just read this big taste test comparison for non-dairy milks, and flax milk scored the highest for flavor. As soon as I find that I'm going to try it... I hear some Walmarts even picked it up.
Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
blackflaggirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMama
We use almond milk. We've used raw in the past, and I really liked it, but honestly I'm torn in all of my research. Most of me thinks that all dairy probably isn't the best choice, and we did recently have an outbreak (ecoli I think?) at a raw dairy nearby. After everything I read, I do think that most of the benefits of dairy are completely nullified by the pasteurization process, and that the things such as protein, calcium, A & D are better off coming from other foods, mainly vegetables.

So... for now I think almond milk is the best choice for us, though I did just read this big taste test comparison for non-dairy milks, and flax milk scored the highest for flavor. As soon as I find that I'm going to try it... I hear some Walmarts even picked it up.
Almond milk here as well. I love it. I used to be a big soy drinker but not anymore. My daughter loves the vanilla one. Also hemp milk is pretty yum.

Melissa Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using DS Forum
Old 05-03-2012, 01:00 AM   #10
ecocentric
Registered Users
seller

I also mix it up. I most like to make my own nut/seed milks, but sometimes I get out of the habit and buy hazelnut or coconut milk. There is raw goat milk available in my area that is awesome, I splurge on it occasionally.

Its fairly easy to make your own from nuts seeds coconut or oatmeal:

DIY nutmilk:
http://www.fortheloveoffoodblog.com/...-nut-milk.html

I usually use a combo of hazelnuts and sunflower seeds, ds likes to eat the leftover pulp with a bit of vanilla mixed in.

The wondrous crunchybetty on making coconut milk:
http://www.crunchybetty.com/homemade...pe-to-remember

Oat milk:
http://chocolateandzucchini.com/arch...e_oat_milk.php
Probably the cheapest. When I lived in the woods we would just soak thick cut oats in a big jar overnight and pour the milk off the top, without blending or straining or anything.
I do like most diy milk with a pinch of salt and a dash of vanilla and a bit of honey or dates or other sweetness.
ecocentric is offline   Reply With Quote