Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
BuggaBuggaBoutique
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many "pees" per diaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi4jc View Post
I check religiously and change as soon as he is wet or dirty. Unless he is sleeping, of course.

Daycare rule of thumb is check every hour and change when wet. Maybe she could try that.

Sent from iPhone which is out to get me for some reason that is unbeknownst to me. ISO YN Munki Sushi, AhMay sets, Small BG AIOs in blossom, twilight, grasshopper, butternut, zinnia, moonbeam, ribbit, clementine
ditto

Advertisement

Momma to 4 girls and one boy! Smoke Free, Pet Free Home!
BuggaBuggaBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
PerfectFifth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS is pretty sensitive to moisture, so I try to change with every pee. I have a friend with a 1yo who is thinking of switching to cloth, and we were discussing how many she needed for a stash. She said, "Oh, my kid only goes through four diapers a day now..." and I thought, ohhhh, boy, that is NOT going to fly with cloth diapering!
Old 05-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
clover
Registered Users
seller

I think it's such a huge mental step for most parents to take, going from changing by the clock to when the baby needs to be changed. I mean, depending on the age of the baby in 3 hours that diaper has probably been peed in like 4-6 times or more! Newborns can pee every 15-20 minutes or so! But most parents don't realize that, because babies pee in such small amounts and disposable diapers are super absorbent; you usually can't tell until after 2-3 pees when the SAP starts turning more squishy from all that liquid. When you use cloth diapers and especially if you go coverless at all with flats, prefolds, or fitteds it can be a huge shock to find out how often your baby is peeing.
Personally, I feel like even 2hrs in a diaper can be a stretch, but I definitely come from an EC mindset and really dislike leaving my babies to sit in used diapers. So, I usually check every 30 minutes or so and change them if they are wet. At night I am a little more lax and tend to let the baby sleep if they are sleeping, but if/when they get up to nurse I usually check their diaper and change if necessary.
clover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #14
BirthdayMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I try to change as soon as the diaper is wet. I check basically every time I pick up baby, which tends to be as often as every 10 minutes, unless baby is sleeping. One of the things I've always hated about sposies is that it's hard to tell right away if they're wet. I do think this contributed to DD's earlier PTing. We were done with diapers during the day by 21 months.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I checked every hour, but we touched so much that I knew if he peed even if it was 20 min later. Change ASAP!!
Old 05-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #16
SheriJay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow. Even when I was doing disposables I would change my daughter every 1-2 hours! Who leaves their baby in the same diaper (regardless if it's disposable or cloth) all day? Seems weird to me. That being said, I change her before and after her three daily naps, which is usually every 1.5 - 2.5 hours. (Although I check her and if she poops, I change her right away, or if her diaper seems heavy sooner, etc. In other words, I use good judgment.) And when she goes down to only 1 nap, I think I'll still probably change her every 2 hours. I wouldn't want to be wet all day. Poor babies...

Last edited by SheriJay; 05-02-2012 at 04:28 PM.
SheriJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #17
Abbaloosa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I change as soon as he pees. I was one of those who left them in the sposies for several hours...one thing I love about cloth is I can change so often without feeling guilty for "wasting" a diaper. And my LO's skin is much healthier as a result.
Abbaloosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #18
Señora Rita
Registered Users
seller

Every 1-2 hrs or when they are wet/soiled. When DH checks diapers I always ask I'd she wet? He's like not that wet. Lol! I remind him that wet is wet and ask him if he'd like to sit in his own pee... Ha! No complaining. He is the best hubby and so supportive of cding and any other crazy crunchy thing I decide to do. He is just such a dude.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #19
Zepp
DS Addict
Formerly: K*B*T*M*
seller
seller

My Mood:

we do 2 hours or so here- he's potty training so it varies.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #20
Kindermama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808mamaof2 View Post
Even in sposies I change as soon as it gets wet. (1-2 1/2 hours- Depending on age of child).
Same here! I check often. I do not wake him up to change him though. I change just before he sleeps and very soon after waking up, if wet. Poop gets changed right away.