View Poll Results: Education/self-support
The wage earner(s) are college educated and we are self-sufficient 51 62.20%
Whe wage earner(s) have specialized, ie. trade school, education and we are self-sufficient 5 6.10%
The wage earner(s) do not have post high school education and we are self-sufficient 15 18.29%
The wage earners do not have a high school diploma/GED and we are self sufficient 2 2.44%
The wage earner(s) are college educated and we are NOT self-sufficient 8 9.76%
The wage earner(s) are trade/specialized educated and we are NOT self-sufficient 1 1.22%
The wage earner(s) have a HS diploma/GED and we are NOT self-sufficient 0 0%
The wage earner(s) do not have a high school education and we are NOT self-sufficient 0 0%
Other - because there always is 0 0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #11
hiding57
Registered Users
seller

B.S. here, work part time, dh has A.A works full time. No assistance of any kind. And neither of us want our kids to go to college just because. So many people have bachelors and are either unable to support themselves or doing something they don't need a college degree to do.

Advertisement

hiding57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: s/o College and employment

Dh is the primary wage earner in our home (I work random part time for fun not truly for the money) and has a private school education from a school that isn't even accredited in our state. Neither of us chose to continue our education past high school level (I am technically a drop out though I did GED as it was the only way I was allowed out of school at 17 and I have some college credits from before I went "off the rails" so to speak). We are self sufficient though our oldest son receives some disability benefits. I am in the "college isn't for everyone" group. While I enjoy learning more than anything I do not enjoy the way the education system is run. College is not the only place to learn.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #13
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Neither of us have degrees and we are self sufficient and have always been. I don't believe college is for everyone, my husband is a trade worker and a degree would do nothing for him. We have plenty of savings and are totally fine without college (more so than every single one of our friends with a degree)
Old 05-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

DP & I both have Master's degrees...I got my BA at a 4-yr college, DP went a more circuitous route (state uni, community college, then 4-yr college), but we ended up at the same place at the same time. We moved in together & both worked after graduation, putting in a few years in the field prior to returning for our respective Master's programs. We both now are employed, utilizing our degrees, generally enjoying our professional fields & jobs, & living a moderately comfortable life. Neither of us have ever received any formal assistance services, & we were both out of our respective parents' homes by the time we graduated college & haven't been dependent on them since that time. We both value learning and formal education, both for the career advantages that come with it, as well as for the personal development aspect. You may be able to do okay in the short term w/ no college degree, but the studies are pretty clear that the more education one has, the more money s/he will earn over the course of his/her lifetime...and money's not everything, but it's a lot easier to be happy when you don't have to struggle nearly as much & worry about everything. I would hope that DD wants to do at least some sort of trade school or community college, though really, my expectation is that she do better professionally than both of us have done...that will likely require minimally a Bachelor's & more likely some sort of post-graduate study. And that she will share our love of arcane knowledge.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #15
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't vote. We may be an "other."

I have a B.S. in music ed. I have been a SAHM for almost 6 years now.
DH has a bazillion MS certifications but no actual degree. He is the breadwinner.

We would fall into self sufficient.

While I do hope that all of my children choose to get a well rounded college education, I realize that it may not be the best thing for all of them. At this point, I couldn't imagine any of them just not going to college, but it has occurred to me that a trade school or military may be where they are lead.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #16
alyssa&rylan's-mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

We both were pushed to university, he finished one year and I finished two. It just wasn't for him, but I do intend to return and finish my degree someday- I stopped to stay home with my kids. He is the primary breadwinner, and we are self-sufficient.
alyssa&rylan's-mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #17
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Neither my dh or I have college degrees. Dh has a GED and I have my HS diploma. We're self-sufficient and while we're not rolling in the dough, we pay our bills and can have fun sometimes. We make about $75k/yr but for our area that isn't living large like if we lived in some states. My step-dad lives outside Pittsburg and they rent a house probably twice the size of our's for $350/mo! We pay about 5x that much for rent. Groceries are more, gas is more, etc so the wages go with the COL.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #18
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

I have a PhD and DH has a masters. We are both employed in our fields of study, and very much self-sufficient. We did take out some loans, but the monthly payment is less than 5% of our net income. We don't even notice it as a real expense. Most importantly we both love our careers. If you love your job you never have to work a day in your life.". That's what I want for my kids.
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #19
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dh has a 4 year degree but he's a sahd. i got my ged and went to vocational school. i am not working in the field that i trained in though. the type of job i work at they hire anyone without experience. we are low income but we do not get any kind of assistance although we do qualify
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #20
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Well, I voted that we both have college degrees and are self sufficient...but that's not really the whole story.

I have a BA in elementary education. I taught for 6 months and then never again. I have worked various jobs that require no degree since then, and every single one of them made me more money than teaching did. I am not currently working a regular paycheck job-I am a SAHM, but I also do some photography work "on the side."

DH has a BA in Mechanical Engineering, however he JUST got his degree in December. He JUST started the new job a month ago. He spent 9 yrs getting his degree. During those 9 yrs, he also worked a number of jobs that didn't require a degree. About 4 yrs ago he moved into a job in the field he was working on the degree in, trying to get his foot in the door, and THAT is actually when we took the biggest pay cut. It was the only time we qualified for WIC (we no longer qualify.) He made more money doing inbound call center sales and customer service than is currently making with his degree. We do however anticipate that it won't be long before he's back up at that income level.

also, while we get EIC back on our taxes...it's not like we can NOT take the credit, you have to do the taxes according to the tax codes...we don't depend on that refundable credit to live so I would never count that as "not self sufficient."
So, while we are currently self sufficient, we were at a much better income level 4 yrs ago, working jobs with no degree requirements.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote