View Poll Results: Education/self-support
The wage earner(s) are college educated and we are self-sufficient 51 62.20%
Whe wage earner(s) have specialized, ie. trade school, education and we are self-sufficient 5 6.10%
The wage earner(s) do not have post high school education and we are self-sufficient 15 18.29%
The wage earners do not have a high school diploma/GED and we are self sufficient 2 2.44%
The wage earner(s) are college educated and we are NOT self-sufficient 8 9.76%
The wage earner(s) are trade/specialized educated and we are NOT self-sufficient 1 1.22%
The wage earner(s) have a HS diploma/GED and we are NOT self-sufficient 0 0%
The wage earner(s) do not have a high school education and we are NOT self-sufficient 0 0%
Other - because there always is 0 0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #21
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have a phd, dh has an ma, actually, I think it's an mme, or something (music ed). We are self sufficient. I do not think college is for everyone. I know many keenly thoughtful, intelligent people who have done well without it, especially those who have gone to some kind of trade school or apprenticeship.

That said, as Carrie mentioned, the studies are pretty clear and it isn't about "opinion." people with college degrees earn more over their lifetime on average.

Also, I personally think college can be deeply enriching as a person. So as proud holder of a "useless" BA/BFA in theater, I am not against impractical majors either. There is something wonderful about being able to spend time learning and doing something you love... If you aren't loving it, yeah, maybe do something else at least for a while. I hope my girls all go to college. If its not for them, I hope they find other things to do that enrich their minds and their lives.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #22
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Both dh and I have a college degree and are self sufficient and always have. We have no CC debt (never have), put away every month for retirement, personal savings, and each of our 4 children have a college advantage account that we put in every month.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #23
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: s/o College and employment

I have my MS and support my boys. Ds2's treatments cost more than my house payment each month so I have always been grateful for my degree/job
Old 05-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #24
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Neither DH or I have a college degree and we are self sufficient. College is not for everyone. I hate that it is pushed on children and I hate that people make you feel like you are somehow less for not going. Something like 80% of college degrees are not even being used.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #25
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5PrincessMommy View Post
So, I work as a teacher at a public school, pay my own bills, but still get EIC when I do my taxes. You're telling me I don't support myself and my family?
I agree. Just because you qualify for eic doesn't mean you are not self supporting. Before my last baby we managed to pay all our bills and still qualified for EIC. We expect to be able to so again in about 2 years. Until then we will use the link we qualify for to help us out. We both paid into for many years. My husband still is and we will continue to pay into it for many years after we no longer need the assistence even if we happen to qualify for EIC.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #26
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

I have a degree, DH does not. Through a combination of good luck and very hard work, he has a career that pays pretty well and is secure, but we are both aware how increasingly rare that is becoming.

We are self sufficient.

Having dropped out midway through my college freshman year, and subsequently taking 12 years to complete the degree, I hope my kids will realize how much easier their lives will be if they go straight through.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #27
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

My dh is a pc programmer in an extremely sought after programming field. He does not have a four year degree and we are self sufficient. I do not think college should be attended to just go for the experience unless you can do it with no loans. Go to college if you need it to achieve your career goals.
Not everyone needs a four year degree to achieve a good solid career.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #28
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DH and I both have masters degrees in engineering, I SAH, and we are self-supporting.

I'm not sure how I feel about college, but DH thinks college has gotten out of hand. The market is saturated with graduates in so many fields, and then those that can't find jobs in their field are deemed 'over-qualified' for a job the could find. He hopes our kids will skip college and be entrepreneurs, but knows it's probably not likely.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #29
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am college educated and my husband graduated high school and a tech program but does not work in the field he graduated in. He did specialize and become certified in a landscaping trade, though. We are self sufficient and do not receive any government assistance or EIC (sadly, we pay what I consider a lot in taxes and we live in a high cost of living area).
Old 05-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #30
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
I also don't think college is for everyone. I think there's a difference between college and a four year university, too - not everyone can handle moving out at 18.

I expect my child will attend a trade school or a two-year college. Military or a four year degree is an option if he chooses.

DH has a 4-year bachelor of science in business.
I have two 4-year bachelor degrees: 1 in social science and 1 in education. I have a masters degree in educational technology. We have self-supported since we married (and began living together) in 2005.
I think, technically, a University is made up of many colleges. I went to a very good four year school (also offered advanced degrees), that was not a university.