View Poll Results: Education/self-support
The wage earner(s) are college educated and we are self-sufficient 51 62.20%
Whe wage earner(s) have specialized, ie. trade school, education and we are self-sufficient 5 6.10%
The wage earner(s) do not have post high school education and we are self-sufficient 15 18.29%
The wage earners do not have a high school diploma/GED and we are self sufficient 2 2.44%
The wage earner(s) are college educated and we are NOT self-sufficient 8 9.76%
The wage earner(s) are trade/specialized educated and we are NOT self-sufficient 1 1.22%
The wage earner(s) have a HS diploma/GED and we are NOT self-sufficient 0 0%
The wage earner(s) do not have a high school education and we are NOT self-sufficient 0 0%
Other - because there always is 0 0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #31
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:
Re: s/o College and employment

My DH and I are both college educated but have been unable to be self-sufficient for the last 3 years. Prior to that, I was married to and living with ex-h (also college educated) and we were self-sufficient, he owned his own computer consulting company despite having a B.A. in History. When ex-h and I divorced I had to get assistance to survive as a single mother, and then when my current DH became a part of the picture things didn't improve much financially because he was unable to find work. He had a B.A. in History and a Secondary Teaching Credential. He was unable to find a teaching job in California for 3 years and ended up looking in Arizona and getting hired just this past year. However, we still qualify for assistance and still need it to survive because the kids and I are living in California while he lives in Arizona and an Arizona wage just doesn't cut it in the HCOL area that California is! However, we are all moving to Arizona in the next few months and in that state, we will be able to be self-sufficient.

I should add that I have a B.A. in Women's Studies and have mostly been a SAHM since graduating from college. However, I did work for a short time as a receptionist and most recently when I was looking for work I was unable to even get interviews after sending my resume out to probably 12-20 positions a month for 10 months!

Because of my experience with having a college education but being unable to find work, I don't think that it is 100% necessary for success in life. While I will encourage my kids to go to college if they feel it is right for them, I would never be upset if they decided not to go that route. However, if they weren't going to go to college I would still expect them to do some kind of job training (apprenticeship, vocational school, etc...) so that they would be able to support themselves. In fact, I think that some trades are more in demand than some college degrees! My DH became a truck driver when he was unable to find teaching work and that is how we survived in the mean time. Granted we still qualified for assistance during that time because we just have a larger family size and live in a HCOL area.

Advertisement

*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #32
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
No college for dh or myself. We have been self supporting our entire marriage until 2 years ago when I lost my high paying job. (company went bankrupt) We needed fS and medicaid but not tanf. We used the program for almost 2 years and are finally self supporting again now that DH has a job.

My husband now makes more money than any of our friends with college degrees and my previous job I did as well.

I want my kids to attend college but wouldnt demand them to.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #33
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

that was me that started that thread My husband supports us and we just bought a house and have savings and are in ZERO cc debt. The only debt we have right now is our house. We both are high school drop outs and got our GEDS. The only assistance we get is WIC but honestly we could survive w/o it. The income requirement for WIC is so high that pretty much everyone I know that has kids get WIC. My husband is a meat cutter/manager at a grocery store and makes a good living doing that. I don't think college is really important, honestly I just don't. Most people I know that have degrees can not use them. My husband agrees with me on this 100% that for the most part, college is overrated and is not needed for most professions. And most importantly, I just want my kids to be happy so if that means that college is not right for them, that's fine! But if they choose to go to college I will support them but not financially

Last edited by SillyEllie; 05-02-2012 at 11:42 PM.
SillyEllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:39 AM   #34
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

You can most definitely turn down the EIC.

We are self sufficient and both have 4 year degrees and both plan on getting phds before we retire from the military.

We are also less than a year from paying our house off and that will be it for our debt.

We're saving for our kid's college but if he picks a useless degree or decides not to go, he'll be on his own and tbe money will be used for something else he'll need as an adult.

I do think it's valuable but do not think it's for everyone and would be disapointed but not devestated if he chose another path.

Last edited by wlillie; 05-03-2012 at 05:43 AM.
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:19 AM   #35
hiding57
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieism
I have a phd, dh has an ma, actually, I think it's an mme, or something (music ed). We are self sufficient. I do not think college is for everyone. I know many keenly thoughtful, intelligent people who have done well without it, especially those who have gone to some kind of trade school or apprenticeship.

That said, as Carrie mentioned, the studies are pretty clear and it isn't about "opinion." people with college degrees earn more over their lifetime on average.

Also, I personally think college can be deeply enriching as a person. So as proud holder of a "useless" BA/BFA in theater, I am not against impractical majors either. There is something wonderful about being able to spend time learning and doing something you love... If you aren't loving it, yeah, maybe do something else at least for a while. I hope my girls all go to college. If its not for them, I hope they find other things to do that enrich their minds and their lives.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Actually it is an opinion because very few people with college degrees make more money than those who don't, the number are hugely skewed and overinflated by the top earners.
hiding57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:19 AM   #36
isaacsmum
Registered Users

DH and I both have PhDs (well, I'll have mine in another month) and we're self-sufficient. I definitely value education, and I'd want my kids to go. I tend to think the Bachelor's degree has become the base level of education for a good paying job these days, a Master's or higher is optional. Thinking about our family and friends, I can't think of anyone not currently using their college degree other than those still in school or chose to be SAMH. Neither of my parents finished college, and both work - my mom has a great career - but I think times have changed a lot since then. I would say that while I feel strongly about my kids going to college, I feel more strongly about them not going in to debt to do so.

Just wondering about your definition of "self-sufficient": why pick EIC but not other tax credits or deductions? How is it any different than the child care or home mortgage interest credits? I'd think those would have to disqualify someone as self-sufficient under your definition too.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #37
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
How on earth would you do that? If you didn't take the credit on your tax return and sent it in without it, the IRS would "correct" your return for you. I missed one of the extra child tax credits by accident one year and they "corrected" it for me and sent me more money.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:24 AM   #38
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlillie View Post

We are self sufficient and both have 4 year degrees and both plan on getting phds before we retire from the military.

We are also less than a year from paying our house off and that will be it for our debt.

We're saving for our kid's college but if he picks a useless degree or decides not to go, he'll be on his own and tbe money will be used for something else he'll need as an adult.

I do think it's valuable but do not think it's for everyone and would be disapointed but not devestated if he chose another path.
I am almost afraid to ask, lest it turn into a poopstorm, but what, IYO, falls into the useless degree category? I have my own ideas about it, but then I think about it and realize that I know someone making 6 digits with his useless degree.

My degree is in music ed and I hung out with all of the other music majors of various kinds so I was accustomed to hearing about how useless music degrees could be.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #39
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I tend to think the Bachelor's degree has become the base level of education for a good paying job these days, a Master's or higher is optional.
Now see, it's my opinion that this type of think is actually just a skewed vision of the "professional class" (for lack of a better term.) I think it completely discounts the massive amounts of "manual labor" type of jobs that for sure pay good money. I think it also completely discounts the wage earning aspects of experience. For example, car mechanics. You can start out making fairly good money (of course, depending on where you get your mechanic's job, which is really true for virtually any job) and get more on the job training and certifications, which very often come with additional raises and opportunities. And personally, I would much rather that the guy repairing my transmission have 10 yrs of experience working on transmissions than any 4 yr degree in the subject.

There are also a LOT of front line/working with the public positions that might start out at only $10 to $12 an hour, but often use plenty of raises and incentives to try to keep people on because they are such high turn over positions. From years of personal experience in these types of jobs, degrees are rarely even considered, unless you are trying to move up to like managing an entire store or something. But there's still plenty of money to be had just putting on a headset and being the person to write things down when someone calls to complain about something.

And, please, don't think I am picking on you specifically, I just think that particular sentiment, a common one, doesn't really look at the whole picture and is kinda limiting in terms of what a "good paying job" really is.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #40
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Also, I just HAD to comment on the concept of "useless degrees."

When my sister got married on the 21st, my aunt from Washington st. flew out to come to the wedding, we don't see her often. After the wedding we went out to breakfast with her the next morning and my oldest was complaining (only half heartedly really) about how DH and I are not paying for her college education. As I was reminding her about the scholarship she already HAS, my aunt came down to our end and leaned over and said "really, that's the way to do it. When your parents pay for it, there are strings attached."