Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
ALNaturMom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Gestational Diabetes

I'm already on shots for blood thinners and low progesterone. I had better at least make more milk this time, and she had better be a good eater! I was about to order our newborn dipes, but now I'm wondering if I should make half of my stash smalls in case she's big.

Advertisement

ALNaturMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
nceveritt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gestational Diabetes

I just found out I have it. I am pissed beyond words.

Reasons being:
1. I was at a healthy starting weight.
2. I have only gained six pounds.
3. I eat maybe two servings of carbohydrates/grains/starches a day. MAYBE. Sometimes one.
4. I don't eat candy and sugary stuff often at all. There's no soda in the house. I don't use sugar in my coffee. I don't think a damn thing in my pantry has corn syrup in it. The worst thing I eat (more often than not) is ice cream.
5. I eat mostly dairy, eggs, and fresh fruits and veggies. We use healthy fats/oils to cook with. Almost all our meats are grass-fed/pasture raised.

So I'm miffed out of my mind that I apparently have GD, because most of my life/eating habits had been geared towards never getting (any type of) diabetes.

Like our store on Facebook
nceveritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
nceveritt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just found out I have it. I am pissed beyond words.

Reasons being:
1. I was at a healthy starting weight.
2. I have only gained six pounds.
3. I eat maybe two servings of carbohydrates/grains/starches a day. MAYBE. Sometimes one.
4. I don't eat candy and sugary stuff often at all. There's no soda in the house. I don't use sugar in my coffee. I don't think a damn thing in my pantry has corn syrup in it. The worst thing I eat (more often than not) is ice cream.
5. I eat mostly dairy, eggs, and fresh fruits and veggies. We use healthy fats/oils to cook with. Almost all our meats are grass-fed/pasture raised.

So I'm miffed out of my mind that I apparently have GD, because most of my life/eating habits had been geared towards never getting (any type of) diabetes.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
starsandlollipops
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had GD w/ my last baby.. same deal as you Nicole, heck I don't even drink anything but water - tea occasionally, but that's it. The doc told me he's seen ladies that are 100lbs get it, it's just genetics I guess? I'm not looking forward to taking my 1/3hr test
Old 06-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
nceveritt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsandlollipops View Post
I had GD w/ my last baby.. same deal as you Nicole, heck I don't even drink anything but water - tea occasionally, but that's it. The doc told me he's seen ladies that are 100lbs get it, it's just genetics I guess? I'm not looking forward to taking my 1/3hr test
The other thing I'm trying to remind myself is that it's the placenta's fault, since it controls how all the other hormones fire. It's just frustrating to feet a diagnosis that doesn't make any sense. Laaaaaame!

Old 06-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My doc said that they are diagnosing a lot more women with this because the requirements are a lot stricter than they used to be
Old 06-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
averysmom
Registered Users

I had it with my 1st, passed all the tests with my 2nd and 3rd. I take my test tomorrow with this baby. I'm not drinking that yucky sugary drink, I'm eating a special meal for the test.
Avery Grace 8-17-05 Autumn Rose my HBAC baby 2-9-10 EXPECTING #4 sometime in Sept. 2012 Planning my second homebirth!!
averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
starsandlollipops
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh I'd love to know more about that! How are they doing that for you? Just a load of pancakes or something?

I HATE that drink! I have mine in 2 weeks and I'm NOT excited about that drink! *grumble*
Old 06-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
averysmom
Registered Users

Here's what I had to eat:
1 cup of orange juice
1 cup of milk
1 cup of corn flakes or oatmeal (I chose corn flakes)
1 table spoon of sugar
2 slices of toast
1 table spoon of jelly

I sprinkled the sugar on the corn flakes and poured the milk on top and put the jelly on the toast.

You have to eat it with in 15min and have your blood drawn 2hrs later. I finished eating at 8:30am and my appt was at 10am and my blood work was done at 10:30am. It's so much better than that glucose drink and there's about the same amount of sugar.
Avery Grace 8-17-05 Autumn Rose my HBAC baby 2-9-10 EXPECTING #4 sometime in Sept. 2012 Planning my second homebirth!!
averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
ALNaturMom
Registered Users

My Mood:

My OB practice has patients drink a full sugar soda and eat a full size candy bar, but I got to skip the test since I was predisposed to diabetes before pregnancy and was allowed to check my blood sugars at home. Right now, they're just having me eat a low carb diet to keep my numbers out of the danger zones for Baby Girl. Still, I'm having such a difficult pregnancy having to feel hungry all the time from the drastic carb reduction is making me grumpy. Peanut butter and avocados are my friends right now!