Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Kid swimsuit questions

So my daughter is 7 and I am seeing all these new swim shorts things. But, none that I have seen actually have a bathing suit bottom inside them? Are they only to go over swim suits? For some reason I thought they were like part of a 2 piece top/bottom suit - with the tshirt/rashguard top? Are those shirt tops supposed to go over a swimsuit, too? How do these new styles work? I am just so confused.

Advertisement

sunnymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Kid swimsuit questions

I don't know if I can really help here cause I have boys. My guys wear swim trunks which have mesh lining and then they wear rash guards. I think if there is no kind of lining or anything in the shorts you need some sort of other bottoms under them, maybe you could buy the separates or buy a two piece. Rash guards do not need a top underneath unless your dd needs some sort of support up top (so not until the pre-teen or teen years). I personally wear mens swim trunks and a rash guard top with a sports bra underneath when I swim.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My daughter wears the shorts as the bathing suit bottom.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Depends. There are some shorts that are meant to be worn as a cover-up, but are fast drying, so yu could get them wet and it would be okay, and then there are shorts that are the bottoms of the swim suit, but the ones I have seen in that style are more like the boy shorts style (yk, really short).
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for the input. I am trying to figure out modest suits for dd and myself with longer shorts but getting frustrated trying to piece everything together! I have seen some Lands End ones on ebay in her size that look really nice with rashguard tops and longer shorts (not boy shorts) bottoms but I've put in ask a question and the sellers have said that the shorts don't have a lining in them. So I just wasn't sure how they were supposed to work...
Old 05-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about so I might be off base here...

When I've gotten rash guard and shorts for my girls there is no lining in the shorts. They are skin tight so you can't get a peak at anything. So I'm not sure girl swim shorts come with a lining. I've never seen them with a lining in all the years I've bought swim shorts for my girls. But I have only bought them at either target or old navy so not a vast knowledge on my part.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #7
jacksmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i have the girls boy shorts from target for dd...i don't think the girls ones come with lining but she has always worn them as a swimsuit
Old 05-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wouldn't let her wear only the board shorts unless they had a full (not mesh although the mesh type are usually longer) liner. If they have no liner, then I would buy a two piece and just put her in the bottoms, board shorts on top of those, and then the rash guard (no top under unless you plan on removing the rash guard sometime later on).

I have a few pairs of boy's board shorts that I wear over a bikini, but I cut out the mesh liner and wear my full bikini since the "mesh" is still see though if you catch a glimpse up the leg (since they're short on me)! I also wear my bikini top under rash guards for support & removing the rash guard later on.
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
mom2cse
Registered Users
seller

We've been very happy with Lands End. The modesty issue with most suits was getting to me when my girls were no longer toddlers, especially when the suits kept riding up on the bottom. I stalk their clearance sections on the website and got some nice swim skirts and rash guards for my 4 and 6 year olds. They provided great coverage and lasted great throughout the year. The bottoms actually still fit this year and my 4 year old fits in the rash guard from her sister so all I had to get this year for them was one rash guard, which I got on clearance for 7 bucks last week. Fortunately we have a store near us that I can use to try on clothes to get their sizes as well as make free returns, so it may be more difficult if you don't have that option.
mom2cse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

What I've seen the boy short style is skin tight, but the board short longer style seems too lose to me to wear without a lining or something under it. But, maybe you just wear them without. Or maybe they are tighter than they look like they will be. That's what I wondered what others were having their girls do. The set I got at Costco did have a lining in the shorts but they only had up to size 6x and she needs a 7 so it was too small for her and I have to return it. None of the other places I have seen linings in the shorts, but the Lands End web site says theirs do. I just can't afford a lot, but I will go check their clearance section!