Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Kathy_D
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
how to wash a 6 year old's hair

How do you wash your older child's hair? My older DD is 6.5 and cannot yet wash and rinse her hair. In fact, her hair is so thick and tangle so easily that we have to wash and condition it. I really don't feel that her hair gets rinsed well in the bath and it's difficult and messy (water gets everywhere) trying to give her a shower. We have been doing showers where I go in with the younger one (4) and I wash and condition her hair and she washes her body. I also wash my hair and body, usually while younger DD is in the shower with me. When the younger one is done, she gets out and I stay in and my 6 year old gets in. I wash and condition her hair then I get out and let her wash and rinse her body. While this works for us, I never get to shower alone. I also feel like maybe DDs are getting to an age where we shouldn't be showering together? I don't know. I have also tried doing what my mom did - washing the kids hair in the kitchen sink and then having them take a shower or bath to wash their bodies. Older DD hated it, but the little one giggled the entire time. What do/would you do?

Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: how to wash a 6 year old's hair

DD is 4.5 but some days she showers with me other days dd and ds take a bath together. It is harder to rinse in the tub. I usually have a cup and dd has a cup and we just keep pouring until she is rinsed. Most of her cups miss her head, but it keeps her from complaining about water in her eyes while we rinse.

I really think as long as no one is uncomfortable with the joint shower then its ok to continue. One of the reasons I like that ds and dd are still fine with bathing together is that I get to shower alone.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

My daughter has THICK hair and I have to use conditioner every time or it gets really tangled. I give her baths most of the time (she's still just 3) but then run the tap and rinse her hair with that water, instead of the nastified soapy bath water.
idk about showering with a 6.5 yo, whether that's getting too old or not.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
My dd is still little but I'm sure she will have the thick curly hair my boys do. My 4 and 6 year ikds still get baths. I have a sprayer nozzle for the shower and when it's time to rinse the boys' hair I pull it down, pull the bath plug and start spraying. They tip heads back and hold folded washcloths over their eyes because they don't like the water spraying.

Eta it was only $9 at Walmart so well worth the cost.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just use a rinsecup like this-
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...w/d/B0019526UW

But maybe your girls have thicker hair than mine.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
My dd is still little but I'm sure she will have the thick curly hair my boys do. My 4 and 6 year ikds still get baths. I have a sprayer nozzle for the shower and when it's time to rinse the boys' hair I pull it down, pull the bath plug and start spraying. They tip heads back and hold folded washcloths over their eyes because they don't like the water spraying.

Eta it was only $9 at Walmart so well worth the cost.
That is an excellent idea.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our kids get showers from the time they are 2-3yo. We have the shower sprayer on the hose. I stand outside of the shower and use the sprayer to rinse them.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We have always used or added a handheld shower head for when my oldest was able to shower on her own, I would start the shower out with washing her hair, then she would finish and get out. We then would use leave in conditioner because her hair needs it. This is how we tackled the shower thing, because I too at 6 decided joint showers were a thing of the past. HTH.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I stand outside the shower also and use a hose
Old 05-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #10
smilewithme
Registered
seller
seller

When my oldest was about that age, I would let her finish her bath first, then turn the shower on when she was finished to rinse/do her hair. That was pretty easy on us. Her hair is not that thick...but tangles like crazy.