Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Anyone EBF for 9 to 12 months?

I'm thinking of EBF until 9 months. I'm not going to tell my doctor this as she want's me to give her solids at 5 1/2 months (which is now). We delayed cutting the cord so I've read that already gives her higher Iron levels.
Did anyone do this or attempt to? How did it go? How did it effect your baby? What did you tell your doctor?

Advertisement

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Re: Anyone EBF for 9 to 12 months?

Why do you want to do it on purpose?

My son pretty much EBF until 9 months. He had no interest in food...he still doesn't.
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

we started solids right before 9 months (like a week before). My ped was fuuly aware (srry NAKing) and just wanted us to start at/by 9 months. She does not take an iron supplement or anything and her iron is 13 something so it obviously hasn't been a problem. My ped knows me very well and respects my parenting choices

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Connor
Registered Users
seller

I started solids with DS at 12 months. It went great! No problems at all, he's a great eater. He's now 2.5.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

We do baby-led weaning, and DS didn't actually swallow anything much until at least 9 months. He's only just recently gotten more interested in food and he's 13 months old.

His iron was tested at 10 months and it was great. My PA is my friend and she knows we do BLW. She doesn't do it with her own kids or really recommend it, but she also doesn't challenge me on it, either.

We did BLW with my DD, too, and I don't think it really affected her at all either positively or negatively--though she is still nursing at 3.5, so maybe it helped maintain our nursing relationship? I think that pushing too much solid food too early can hinder a nursing relationship.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my daughter wasn't too interested in solids until 12 months or so, but she did have some additional foods starting around 8 months . I wouldn't deliberately delay that long; it's not something that wascommon in traditional cultures. Eggs yolk, liver, and fish eggs are great first foods that I will be starting around 7 or 8 months.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

I'm ebfing my nine month old. She doesn't care for solids at all, I'm not sure I am ready either. My oldest was exceptionally healthy exclusively breastfed for three+ years, so I'm not too worried.

Welcome baby Edeltraud! 27-7-2011 Von meinem iPhone gesendet.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #8
TPLmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor
I started solids with DS at 12 months. It went great! No problems at all, he's a great eater. He's now 2.5.

But with my DD1 (2). She will eat anything & lots of it! DS (4) eats less & is very picky. He started solids around 6 months.

ETA: I typically just smile & nod whenever the pediatrician tells me to do stuff I *know* we have no intention of doing.

Last edited by TPLmommy; 05-04-2012 at 11:59 PM.
TPLmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
faithfulmama77
Registered Users

I typically do not introduce solids until my kids have started erupting teeth and can finger feed. None of my kids have had teeth before 7-8 months, so pretty close to what you're thinking. We are on WIC so they always get an iron test at 6 mo and never has that been a problem. One of my kids had overactive tongue thrust and would gag and projectile vomit if he tried to swallow anything but BM until 11 mo. He did fine.

Instead of imposing a firm age, I would watch the child and her appetite. Some kids really need more than bm after 6-7 mo. That was my experience with our twins, so we actually did spoon feed them a little earlier than I normally introduce solids.
faithfulmama77 is offline   Reply With Quote