Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
Riverleaf1772
Registered Users
seller

Bottle Refusal

I am a daycare provider and I just started with a 9 mo old who has been refusing bottles since 6 months (as soon as she started solids). The parents have been spoon feeding formula to her (mixed with cereal or carrots or apples or whatever) and are barely getting the minimums in. They've tried a couple of other formulas and a variety of containers - bottles, sippys, regular cups, etc.

She seems really interested in finger foods so I suggested baking it into muffins or oatmeal. Would that harm the formula? Anyone have any other ideas?

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: Bottle Refusal

They can mix cereal with it too. I'd hold back on the food and push the formula. Also, try to water down the formula in a sippy and slowly increase it. The Nuk or any soft tip that she doesn't have to bite or chew that is bottle like are the best.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
wendow
Registered Users
seller

Re: Bottle Refusal

My understanding is that cooking/baking formula changes the nutritional value of it in a bad way.

I had a baby (my first) who refused formula once she got a taste of formula and that was back when docs recommended you begin solids at 4 mos (she is almost 12). We struggled the rest of her first year to get formula in. We did several things that might be of help in this situation. We upped the calorie content of her formula. Her formula was fortified to 24 cal/oz rather than the standard 20 cal/oz. We also stirred dry formula into every single solid she ate and then gave free water separately. She loved water so this worked well but you gotta have a baby who loves to drink water. I also got up a couple times during the night even though she STTN to give a couple of ounces of formula each time. Babies will almost always "dream feed" or take formula while asleep/half asleep better than when awake.