Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
kalasin
Registered Users
seller

INSURANCE- PSA!

Hello everyone,

I have a relative who worked for Paypal for a long time (since before they were Paypal) and many of her friends still work there. I know a lot about Paypal and their policies, and the common misconception of insurance is something I felt I should post about to clear up.

Insurance is the SELLER'S responsibility. Period.

Let's say you ship a package, and it gets damaged and the item is ruined. Your buyer opens a PP dispute. Guess what- you're going to lose. You can't write to PP and say "But she didn't ask for insurance!" or "I had the Insurance option on Spot's Corner but she didn't purchase it!"

Same thing for if a package is lost. In that case, Delivery Confirmation may help you, but if it comes down to it, not delivered = you lose a PP dispute = at least you can file insurance to get the value of your lost package back.

If you cannot afford to refund out of pocket for an item, YOU need to insure it.

It's great that sites like Spots offer you the option to add an Insurance add-on to your listing. HOWEVER, that does NOT absolve you from responsibility. If you are taking payment through PP, it is THEIR policies that you need to concern yourself with for this type of thing. Keep adding it to your listings- maybe a buyer will feel it's necessary and click pay. However, if they don't, that doesn't let you off the hook!

I keep seeing people reply to transaction issues with things like "Did the buyer ask for insurance?" etc...and that misconception is what drove me to make this post. I hope everyone understand that in no way shape or form is insurance the buyer's responsibility.

I also keep seeing sellers post things like "When it's out of my hands it's not my responsibility, so buy insurance!" Yeah, no. Completely, totally, 100% NOT how PP sees it and if you are taking PP as your payment, you need to be aware of that.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Edited 5/6/2012 to add-

Quote:
Originally Posted by qberry View Post
I had a trade go awry and she felt she shouldn't have had to insure the items but a mod clarified that even in trades it's the sender not the receivers responsibility!
I thought this info was worth adding, so thank you!

Advertisement

Last edited by kalasin; 05-06-2012 at 03:07 PM.
kalasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: INSURANCE- PSA!

I'm glad you mentioned this. I was getting rather confused as this was what I had understood it to be but was hearing differently. So far I have not had problems but it is good to know for the future.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
kalasin
Registered Users
seller

No problem. Honestly, in common-sense-land, a seller isn't responsible for what the heck goes on at the post office. However, in Paypal-land, a seller is responsible for a package arriving at the buyer's destination in the exact condition as described, and if you're taking Paypal (like 99.999% of DS transactions, if not 100%), you need to follow their rules.

Honestly, I am going to start flagging sellers that post "Once it's out of my hands it's not my responsibility!" because that is completely untrue and deceptive to buyers.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalasin View Post
No problem. Honestly, in common-sense-land, a seller isn't responsible for what the heck goes on at the post office. However, in Paypal-land, a seller is responsible for a package arriving at the buyer's destination in the exact condition as described, and if you're taking Paypal (like 99.999% of DS transactions, if not 100%), you need to follow their rules.

Honestly, I am going to start flagging sellers that post "Once it's out of my hands it's not my responsibility!" because that is completely untrue and deceptive to buyers.
That irks me to no end! It is not just on here. I see it on etsy, ebay, hc, actaul business sites.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have always felt this way and it has always been frustrating to hear that most others feel differently. So glad that PP sees it this way as well!
Old 05-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
ServingHim
Registered Users
seller

This was my understanding too. That is why I always insure packages over $100 because I don't want to be out that much if the po damages or looses it.
This is something I pay for and don't ask the buyer to cover.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #7
kalasin
Registered Users
seller

Seriously, last I looked insurance started at $1.65 and it really doesn't get crazy expensive. It's well worth it considering how much responsibility Paypal places on YOU as the buyer. I would like to see DS ToS updated to disallow sellers to say things like "not my responsibility once mailed!" in their FSOT posts if possible. I get that most are not doing it to be deceptive and simply don't understand that as I said above, Paypal-land is different than common-sense-land.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Bump for important info.

Maybe a MOD could ad a sticky thingy about this?
Old 05-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
Lammy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Whether I am the buyer or the seller I ALWAYS buy insurance. I have had too many packages arrive damaged ( not from transactions on ds thankfully) and if I buy the insurance I can get my money back. That way no one ( me or the buyer/seller) in the transaction is out any money.

Last edited by Lammy; 05-06-2012 at 07:24 AM. Reason: spell check
Lammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes! And I always hate what I see something about the buyer needing to purchase insurance in a FSOT thread - um, no! Not the buyer's responsibility, since insurance protects the seller!