Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
diana_of_the_dunes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help! Raw milk left in car!

DH picked up my milk from the farmer's market this morning at about noon. At about 6 pm, he realized it was still in the car! I thought he had left it with my mom... We checked it, and because the car was in the garage, it was still cool but definitely not cold. Maybe 60F. I rushed it in the house and started heating it to make yogurt. If I pasteurize the rest, do you think it would be okay to drink? Or should I just call it a loss and feed it to the chickens?

Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Help! Raw milk left in car!

I would still drink it raw. I drink milk that has been out for a few hours all the time.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
TPLmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

No need to heat it, you'll just lose the amazing nutrients that make raw milk so good for you. It's still totally fine to drink. Raw milk never goes "bad", it just gets sour & some people don't like the taste. But actually the more sour it gets the better it is for you.
TPLmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
diana_of_the_dunes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm normally not so paranoid, except that I'm pregnant with a history of loss and don't want to take any chances. And just on principle, I wont give DS anything I won't eat or drink myself, even though I tend to agree that it's likely to be safe. So I've already heated 2 quarts to 180 and refrigerated. I have a gallon of yogurt incubating, and I left 3 quarts alone and stuck them in the fridge. Not sure yet what I'll do with those. I hate destroying all the good bacteria, but at least it's still grass-fed, organic milk... *sigh*
Old 05-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

If it makes you more comfortable pasteurize it! Its just one trips worth of milk that isnt raw..it wont harm you to drink organic grass fed milk, and with a history of loss its better to be safe than sorry, IMO.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
diana_of_the_dunes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's exactly what we did. The cream turned funny, though. It's really sticky and clumpy even after shaking. I had to strain it out...
Old 05-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

Bacteria multiplies rapidly in milk, and in order for raw milk to be safe, it needs to be kept cold. I personally wouldn't risk it (especially since it chunked up- a sign on spoilage). I know that there is good bacteria in raw milk (lactobaccillus, etc) however, traces of nasty stuff like E. coli can get in and multiply rapidly at increased temps. Sorry mama, that sucks.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
BabyAvocado
Registered Users
seller

i would have tossed it
BabyAvocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
diana_of_the_dunes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The cream didn't turn weird til after I had pasteurized it... If it had been clumpy before, I'd have fed it to the chickens no questions asked!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana_of_the_dunes View Post
The cream didn't turn weird til after I had pasteurized it... If it had been clumpy before, I'd have fed it to the chickens no questions asked!
interesting. we dont' have access to raw milk right now so we've been drinking pasteurized, non-homogenized milk and all the cream in there is like that! blech! the milk is fine, but i hate the hard clumps of cream, i can't stir them out to save my life! and ds is refusing to drink the milk! our raw milk never did that. it was soooo good with all that lovely smooth cream! i wonder if that's just a side effect from pasteurizing the cream? interesting....

as for your original problem, it's hard to say. the milk wasn't soooo warm, so i might be ok drinking it. if it were hotter in your car, i'd say definitely pasteurize. but i understand your concern with pregnancy and everything. i'd probably make a LOT of yogurt, yogurt will keep for awhile in the fridge. i would probably do a small taste test and then give it a day to see how things went before giving any of the milk i didn't make into yogurt to ds. but not while pregnant. maybe your dh is willing....? i dont' think pasteurizing it yourself is a terrible idea though. it's still good, healthy milk. and it's not like you'll never get the raw milk again. it's just for now. nothing wrong with that.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote