Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #11
EmilyA874's Avatar
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NW Maine
Posts: 1,710
My Mood:
Re: Use of blue cohosh to help labor get started?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmommy View Post
I was taught to use blue and black cohosh together...they work synergistic. I believe there is a good blend called Bring on the Birth. Also Mountain Meadow herbs has a good blend to help your labor.


Quote:
Originally Posted by girlichick View Post
When my labor stalled with number 3, the midwives gave me black and blue cohosh to take to get the contractions to pick back up. It worked! She was born about 4 hours later.
Same thing happened with me (more or less). My midwives use the homeopathic tabs, had me take them every 4 hours after my labor fizzled out over night, she was born very quickly that next night

Advertisement

__________________
A, wife to S Mama to DD W born at home in the water on 3/23/11!
And my heart warrior DS N born 1/11/13!
<3 Did you know 1 in 100 babies are born with a heart defect? 1 of them is mine <3
EmilyA874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
JennTheMomma's Avatar
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,820
My Mood:
Re: Use of blue cohosh to help labor get started?

My MW had me take some while in labor because I kept stalling. It did nothing. Since ds2's birth MWs have stopped using it in my area.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #13
songbird516's Avatar
songbird516
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,164
My Mood:
Re: Use of blue cohosh to help labor get started?

I took caulophyllum at 40+ weeks, for several days. I think it's the homeopathic for blue cohash? Anyway, I've heard that it can be helpful, but it did nothing for me.
How big were your babies at those gestations? I'm even more hesitant to even naturally induce after my latest attempt. I just ended up giving myself unproductive contractions for a few nights, then when he was born at 41 weeks he was sill little and looked like a 38 weeker. He most definitely was in there 41 weeks; he just needed more time than others. I learned my lesson. That's not true for everyone, but I seem to grow them slowly.
__________________
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk! www.beyondbirthsupport.com
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
Re: Use of blue cohosh to help labor get started?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamommy View Post
May 13, but my last 3 babies were all born at 42, 42, and 43 weeks. cesareans, hoping for a vbac this time and doc doesn't feel comfortable going past 42 weeks.
For me, nipple stimulation with my electric pump got my labor started, on my due date with DS1.

With DS2, the day before my due date I ate Jump Start Your Labor cookies all day, and then used my pump to do nipple stimulation right before bed. My water broke and labor started at 4:45am on my due date.

Jump Start Your Labor cookies. They are pretty good. They taste like a spicy gingersnap cookie.

http://www.babycenter.com/209_jump-s...5330063_671.bc

Wishing you the best of luck!

God bless!
__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #15
mariamommy's Avatar
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M

For me, nipple stimulation with my electric pump got my labor started, on my due date with DS1.

With DS2, the day before my due date I ate Jump Start Your Labor cookies all day, and then used my pump to do nipple stimulation right before bed. My water broke and labor started at 4:45am on my due date.

Jump Start Your Labor cookies. They are pretty good. They taste like a spicy gingersnap cookie.

http://www.babycenter.com/209_jump-start-your-labor-cookies_75330063_671.bc

Wishing you the best of luck!

God bless!
I did pump at 38 weeks with my last pregnancy for 2 weeks and I actually developed a great supply of colostrum, but no contractions from the nipple stimulation.

I have never heard of the jumpstart your labor cookies, what is in them that is supposed to make them work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
I took caulophyllum at 40+ weeks, for several days. I think it's the homeopathic for blue cohash? Anyway, I've heard that it can be helpful, but it did nothing for me.
How big were your babies at those gestations? I'm even more hesitant to even naturally induce after my latest attempt. I just ended up giving myself unproductive contractions for a few nights, then when he was born at 41 weeks he was sill little and looked like a 38 weeker. He most definitely was in there 41 weeks; he just needed more time than others. I learned my lesson. That's not true for everyone, but I seem to grow them slowly.
My babies were 10.4, 9.13, and 10.3 at those gestations I mentioned before. Plenty cooked!
__________________
Maria, wife to David and stay-at-home-mama to four children.
mariamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #16
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
Re: Use of blue cohosh to help labor get started?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamommy View Post
I did pump at 38 weeks with my last pregnancy for 2 weeks and I actually developed a great supply of colostrum, but no contractions from the nipple stimulation.

I have never heard of the jumpstart your labor cookies, what is in them that is supposed to make them work?
It's the combination of ginger, cloves, cinnamon and cayenne pepper. That together, can get things "moving" if your body is ready.

God bless!
__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #17
JustSomeChickVee
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,662
Re: Use of blue cohosh to help labor get started?

after my water broke, we tried blue and black cohosh (along with every other method known to man,) and nothing short of pitocin worked for me.
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #18
joyous's Avatar
joyous
Registered Users
Formerly: erika375
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,901
I took a mix of blue and black cohosh starting on my due date. It didn't work for me, as I was induced with Cervadil 9 days later. That said, my cervix was still closed and high, whereas if I had been even a little dilated or effaced, it might have worked. The herbs work with your body, and mine just wasn't ready.
__________________
Single mama to my sweet D. Taking life one day at a time.
joyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #19
mariamommy's Avatar
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by erika375
I took a mix of blue and black cohosh starting on my due date. It didn't work for me, as I was induced with Cervadil 9 days later. That said, my cervix was still closed and high, whereas if I had been even a little dilated or effaced, it might have worked. The herbs work with your body, and mine just wasn't ready.
How did your delivery go after a cervadil induction?
__________________
Maria, wife to David and stay-at-home-mama to four children.
mariamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #20
North Dakota Mommy's Avatar
North Dakota Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Jennieh***
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 841
My Mood:
Re: Use of blue cohosh to help labor get started?

I used black & blue cohosh with my last labor. I was 8 days overdue. With an almost 10lb'er... in august... whew... and YES it did work, though I was ready and had been having on/off contractions for days. I took drops in the morning and around noon I think... "real" labor started at about 7 pm and baby was born by 9pm!

Good luck mama!
__________________
J e n n i e
Wife/BFF to Leif - Mommy to Thor born 09.26.07 , Maycee born 10.25.08, and Dax born 08.01.2010... a sweet-as-pie homebirth! Baby #4 due 08.09.12!
I blog about my life with three wee ones!
North Dakota Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.