Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
Farmer's Wife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Toddler Formula?

Does anyone have experience with toddler formula? Is it necessary or another ploy to make money for formula companies? We are quite happy with the current formula we use (Kirkland Brand form Costco).

Our son is 16 months old and doesn't eat enough solids to grow and get nutrients from. So we give him 4 bottles of up to 8oz per day, making them all half homo and half formula. Should we just switch to toddler formula or keep using the formula meant for 0-12months? I don't want to go to purely homo because of all the good minerals and vitamins found in formula that I know he isn't getting from solids.

Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Toddler Formula?

What is homo?
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbee View Post
What is homo?
ROFL! I'm not sure and for some reason it made me laugh. I'm guessing homogenized milk. We did toddler formula starting at 13 months because I had been Bfing, but dried up when I got pregnant with DS2. DS1 is a picky eater and I didn't want him getting that much milk. We went with Baby's Only and he loved the stuff (a little too much). Seriously like crack. We kept him on it until about 2 and then cut it off cold turkey. He became a much better eater after we took him off of it. I'm thinking it would have been good from about 12 - 18 months. I did always feel better that he was on it because of the extra nutrients and him being a picky eater.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We started using it at 9m because our DD was being way picky. Now she is on reg milk and vitamins with floride. If your ream worried talk to your pedi about vitamins.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I always thought toddler formula was a scam. But, DD is almost 20mo and on toddler formula because milk makes her vomit and she doesn't eat very well yet. For a kid who eats good meals and can drink milk I think toddler formula is unnecessary, but since you're using formula anyway I'd recommend toddler formula. It has better vitamin & mineral levels for older kids. A lot more calcium and iron if I remember right.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 05-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

On topic, sort of. I intend to switch DD to straight whole milk when she is one... I will probably transition her over a month or so, but I'm hoping she's getting appropriate nutrition. If necessary, I will use a formula geared towards toddlers after that.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used toddler formula as well. My son was having a lot of ear problems from 10-14 months that caused him to pretty much quit eating. I mean he ate a little but not enough that I trusted he would be alright. We did toddler formula at that point because it was cheaper than the regular baby kind. I mean if you're going to use formula anyway, why not. I just went with if WHO advises breast feeding until 2 than wouldn't it make sense to keep on formula longer. Around 18 months my son started eating like crazy and anything and everything so at that point we started cutting out formula and went to milk.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
pcjs
Registered Users

We use it. I can't get my son off the stuff. I've been trying so hard to get him on 1% but he loves his toddler formula. I buy the Walmart brand. He taste tested them all and the only other one that was ok but not great is Kmart. When I looked at the ingredients they said they were the same but the Kmart did not have the same nutritional value even though they are supposed to be made at the same plant. Walmart is cheap and easy as you can sometimes if they are in stock order it online and have it shipped to you. I am glad we did it as it really helped with the weight/growth and he more than caught up to where he needs to be as we are in the picky toddler stage (well, I am not sure if I can fully blame him as I am picky). My goal was to do it to 18 months but he couldn't do whole milk so then we tried 2% at a little over two and then someone on here told me to try 1% which he can drink but usually refuses. Now, I'm hoping by three he will be off. I actually don't care as I like the extra nutritional benefits. We go through about a can a week.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
wendow
Registered Users
seller

My kids who stayed on formula the longest, had the best growth. Growth slowed down once we transitioned them to either cow's milk or in ds1's case, almond milk (he's allergic to cow's milk). Ds2 is 13 mos and I plan on him being on formula until at least 18 mos, if not 2 yo. He is still drinking infant formula so I'm planning to transition him soon over to a toddler formula.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoclaire View Post
I always thought toddler formula was a scam. But, DD is almost 20mo and on toddler formula because milk makes her vomit and she doesn't eat very well yet. For a kid who eats good meals and can drink milk I think toddler formula is unnecessary, but since you're using formula anyway I'd recommend toddler formula. It has better vitamin & mineral levels for older kids. A lot more calcium and iron if I remember right.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
This was our ped's position exactly. Because formula contains higher levels of many vitamins and other nutrients. Since DS was eating a wide variety of fruits and veggies, already eating 3 meals a day, and very healthy overall, and was tolerating small amounts of organic whole milk, she said she didn't really recommend we spend the extra money unless he had trouble with upping the milk to 2 c. or so per day. If there were eating/growth/other health issues, she felt the additional nutrients would be worthwhile.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote