Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

I seem extremely fertile upon weaning. Weaned ods at 4weeks (well, gave up anyway). Periods started immediately. Intentionally missed one condom while ovulating 4 mos pp= baby. Weaned yds at 18mos. 2 months later, I ovulated 5 days earlier than I ever have, and caught 3 day old sperm on the way=baby. While nursing, my fertility comes back immediately anytime I'm away from my baby (was away from my EBF 5.5 mo for 5 days and got my period two weeks later) or with YDS at 9mos PP (he started solids at 8mos).

I truly believe ecological breastfeeding works for me. Until solids or separation from my bfing babies I haven't been fertile while bfing (my kids don't sttn). This surprise FAM baby threw me for a loop though. Lol.

Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Are women REALLY more fertile their first few months postpartum?

I have read that the longer it takes AF to return PP, the more likely a woman is to return to full fertility immediately, so I'd tend to agree with the PP that it doesn't seem right, but most of us know of women with babies less than 14mths apart who were conceived "while BFing".

For me, AF has returned at 6mths PP both times, even while the "4 rules" of LAM hold true. We bed share, delay solids, EBF on demand, no pacis etc, and no sleeping more than 4 hours, yet I still get AF. However, I tend to have 2 or 3 6-8 week anovulatory cycles, then start ovulating, but have a 3-5 day LP until I stop nursing (and even then LP is about 6-8 days long with my LPD). So technically, I'm not fertile while BFing, but I still have to watch my chart or we may end up with another surprise.

This baby on the way is a FAM failure. User error, though. Dietary changes (paleo/Whole30) healed my late ovulation and LPD immediately (as in within one cycle), enabling us to conceive from an O-6 on CD9 with sticky CM. Yeah, I'm still scratching my head. I suspected my LP might lengthen, but expected it to take 2-3 cycles to see a difference. Not so .
Old 05-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
2beauties
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have gotten pregnant at four, five and six months PP. Two ended in MC. I was EBF, and no bottles, pacifiers, and no solids. I have a huge oversupply problem in the first 12 weeks. I am convinced this does not allow my body to let the baby regulate my milk or suppress my periods. They barely have to eat to gain weight and get very chunky. I wish I didn't have this problem, but I am very fertile PP. Its funny that after all the milk in beginning, my cycles regulate and then my supply plummets each month. Oh the joy~

Last edited by 2beauties; 05-08-2012 at 03:03 PM.
2beauties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
psylion
Registered Users
seller

I certainly wasn't my cycles didn't return for 20 months. And did not conceive again until DD was 4. I weaned DD at 3 years old. I did conceive the twins I'm carrying the 2nd cycle after a mc so I think there may be something to the theory that you are more fertile after a loss.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Catalina
I have read that the longer it takes AF to return PP, the more likely a woman is to return to full fertility immediately, so I'd tend to agree with the PP that it doesn't seem right, but most of us know of women with babies less than 14mths apart who were conceived "while BFing".

For me, AF has returned at 6mths PP both times, even while the "4 rules" of LAM hold true. We bed share, delay solids, EBF on demand, no pacis etc, and no sleeping more than 4 hours, yet I still get AF. However, I tend to have 2 or 3 6-8 week anovulatory cycles, then start ovulating, but have a 3-5 day LP until I stop nursing (and even then LP is about 6-8 days long with my LPD). So technically, I'm not fertile while BFing, but I still have to watch my chart or we may end up with another surprise.

This baby on the way is a FAM failure. User error, though. Dietary changes (paleo/Whole30) healed my late ovulation and LPD immediately (as in within one cycle), enabling us to conceive from an O-6 on CD9 with sticky CM. Yeah, I'm still scratching my head. I suspected my LP might lengthen, but expected it to take 2-3 cycles to see a difference. Not so .
I wonder what I could have done to change my luteal phase this cycle. For years I ovulated CD19 on a 28day cycle (or when my cycles were 25days on cd 17). I ended up ovulating on cd15, with last unprotected sex on cd12. I was floored. No big diet or lifestyle changes I can think of.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:33 AM   #16
mandmsmommy2013
Registered Users

I was EBF my daughter when I got pregnant with my now 9 month old son. My pp cycle returned when she was 10 months old, however my fertility and ovulation did NOT return until my 5th cycle and that is when our son was conceived. I've heard several women say that once your cycle returns then you can get pregnant bc you are ovulating. That was not the case with me. I am too one of those women who can tell and feel it when I ovulate so I know when I was fertile again. Every woman's body is different. I have a friend who got pregnant while she was still in the hospital from having her son! They worked fast lol. It really depends on how your body works.
mandmsmommy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:51 AM   #17
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I am not an expert at all. But, what I have heard is that it's not necessarily more "fertile" ie not releasing more eggs or releasing eggs or regularly or anything. Rather that the uterine and hormonal environment is more favorable for pregnancy should a conception occur. By that I mean that if a conception occurs, the fertilized egg is more likely to implant and develop into a full pregnancy.

That's what I have heard. I dunno.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:55 AM   #18
Jomama2005
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrey
Very interesting question, subbing for more reasoning behind this!
I got pregnant again when DD was 5 months old and I was exclusively breastfeeding.
This exact same thing happened to me, dd was 5 mo old and had never had anything other than breast milk! The same thing happened with my sister when her oldest was 5 mo.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #19
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm sure it's different from woman to woman but with both of my kids I did not get a pp cycle until they were 15 months old.

Last edited by justineybean; 01-10-2014 at 04:40 AM.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #20
miriamleigh
Registered Users

I think it's just an old wives tale. Of course some women get their cycles back right away, but if you look at a general population of exclusive breastfeeders ( no bottles or pacifiers ) most of them will not be fertile for at least 6 months.
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote