Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-15-2012, 04:24 AM   #11
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: Mama's in Germany, Bawu, Hessen, Bayern, its getting warm outside...

Anyone else interested?

Or shall we go ahead and plan something with our 3 families. July would be good for me, what about you guys?

Are we all interested in Wilhelma. Seems like a really nice zoo.

Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #12
trashmuell
Registered Users

Hi...Liz is it? I saw your post on this thread where you asked for advice on what detergent to use to wash CDs in Germany. (Sorry, I know this is off the original topic of the thread.) I didn't see an answer to your question. I wish I had an answer for you, but unfortunately I'm in the same boat! I'm in Frankfurt (not military), pregnant with my first (due in November), and I plan on using CDs. My biggest concern at this point is also what detergent to use. I've read so many horror stories about various detergents leaving buildup on diapers so they don't absorb anything. If by chance you (or anyone else) has any leads on good detergents, I've love to hear about them, if you don't mind passing them along!

Hope your pregnancy is going well! - Kimberly
trashmuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
lizxvx
Registered Users

My Mood:

No leads yet! I'm toying around with the idea of making my own or trying out the various detergents at the Biomarkt. We currently use soap nuts for all of our normal laundry, but I've heard mixed reviews about using them for cloth diapers. Ecover liquid seems to be decent according to this list, which is what we were buying before switching to soap nuts. We bought it at DM, Alnatura, and almost any Biomarkt we've been in has carried it. http://pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm Since you are due in Nov and I'm due in Dec, I hope you'll let me know what works for you then I won't be in the dark when I prep all my dipes!
lizxvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:17 AM   #14
MamaVeronica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi ladies!

In regards to the detergent, I also used Ecover recently and had no problems with it. I am now using Domol and I like it as well.

I bought Domol because the Rossman that I went to was out of Ecover. haha. Both seem to work really well, because I haven't had problems with either one.

Both are available at Rossman and DM. (And the former Schlecker.) I'm sure there are other places you can get them as well.
MamaVeronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #15
lizxvx
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks, MamaVeronica! I'll have to go out and get some Ecover then! About how much detergent do you use per load? Do you also use anything in the washer for hard water when cleaning dipes? I have terrible hard water in my apartment.
lizxvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #16
MamaVeronica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I had a smaller load of diapers, I would put one cap-full inside my washer, and one cap-full in the spot for fabric softener. (Though I believe the back of the bottle says how much to use, and that the cap-full in the fabric softener spot wasn't necessary.) With bigger loads, I would use two cap-fulls inside.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #17
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I use about a half a cap to 3/4 for all diaper load and about the same of calgon mixed in the detergent drawer.

I add half a cap of ecover softener to the rinse cycle and occasionally a scoop of oxy to the prewash tray.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #18
MamaVeronica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh! Regarding hard water, I have no idea! I'm pretty sure we have hard water here as well, but I've never done anything extra because of it.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #19
trashmuell
Registered Users

Thanks for the helpful info everyone!

Liz, I will definitely pass along any tips I come up with, if I have any. Though I won't have too much time to test things before your little one comes along. I expect we'll be going through the learning process together!

We have really hard water too, and our washer is a typical European front loader, so I'm curious to see what the water level ends up like when washing diapers.

Oh, I have tried searching some German sites for information about detergent for cloth diapers. It's a big topic on those sites as well. I'm not sure how your German is (mine's so-so), but here are a couple threads in a German forum.

Thread 1 - "Waschmittel"
http://www.naturwindeln.de/forum/thr...d68a53e068951f

Thread 2 - "schon wieder waschmittel...... ;-)"
http://www.naturwindeln.de/forum/thr...d68a53e068951f

Here are some of the names I've come across in my German thread searches (in no order whatsoever):
- Ulrich natürlich Waschmittel (mit Seifenkraut)
- Rockin Green (I think they have it shipped, which is crazy expensive!)
- TotsBots Potion
- Sonett (in purple bottle?)
- Ecover
- Blauer Planet
- DM Microfaser-Waschmittel
- Freddy Leck (I haven't been able to find this online, the pages seem to redirect to Almawin Pulver, so maybe the name has changed?)
- (Waschsoda - this isn't a detergent, but people mention combining it with other detergents, and you can use it to make your own detergent, I believe. It's technically different from "baking soda". I've seen it at DM.)

Some sites that sell some of the harder to find detergents:
http://www.violey.com
http://www.blitzis-storchennest.de
http://www.windeln.de/
trashmuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #20
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

You want to avoid waschsoda with hard water. For hard water you want calgon.

The problem with doing nothing is the limescale builds up and eventually will ruin your washer. If it has an effect on diapers, I honestly dont know. But it did kill my coffee machine, so now we use entkalker.

I have used dm or rossmann oko sensitiv for almost 2 years.

After some ammonia issues in nighttime fitteds I am following my german cd store friend owners advice to use ullrich naturlich natural entkalker which is supposed to combat ammonia. I got a small bottle to try before ordering 5 liters I also got the laundry soap to try and see if its any better for ds skin.

I use a bit of calgon added to the detergent again you can get store brands at rossmann or dm

a bit of ecover in the final rinse here you up gonna pay up no store brand :P

and on occasion a scoop oxy used to do it every time now I just do sometimes.
I use the color safe store brand from rossmann or dm.