Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #121
1braydon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: does anyone have a sucessful Ebay store?

I have really enjoyed this thread. I have been getting stuff from yardsales for about 6 weeks, I have sold the small items on ebay and large items like toddler beds on our communities facebook sale page. I think it is fun.

Advertisement

Earn money and giftcards by searching at SWAGBUCKS!!!!!
1braydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #122
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I want to get started selling on eBay again. I did it about 10 years ago and I did very well. I was working at a teen resell shop so I bought all of the designer labels that came in and sold them for a profit. But, I haven't sold on eBay in many years and I feel lost with the changes.

My big question is this: Should I open a Paypal account just for eBay? I know that they are holding people's money for over a month now. Can someone explain this to me? If I start selling on eBay and they are holding my funds, will they also hold my funds from sales I make on here? I don't want to sell diapers on eBay, so I am thinking I should open a second PayPal account and keep it all separate? What do you have to have attached to your PayPal account to sell on eBay? Just a credit card, or do you have to have a checking account also?

Last edited by L J; 06-01-2012 at 04:58 PM.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #123
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

Also - where do you recommend buying the stick on shipping labels and packing tape? Any places to get those for a great price?
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #124
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

I wouldn't open a new PP account because they will most likely hold those funds.. If you have an established account, you shouldnt have any problems. I've never had money held.

I dont use stick on labels, because its too expensive. I just use paper and tape it on.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #125
nichey
Registered Users
seller
seller

I haven't posted in this thread yet because my eBay store is pretty small and only really makes maybe a couple hundred in profit a month (more in actual sales, but I'm still trying to build inventory so most $$ get sunk back into the store).
HOWEVER, I cannot for the LIFE of me figure out how the buyer's mind works. For example: I have had this Pottery Barn doll furniture listed for MONTHS. Maybe a few people watching, one or two have made offers. I know I have it listed high, and I also have a detailed listing of all the little dings etc. that are on it. I've put it "on sale" a few times etc. Other people have the EXACT same thing listed NIP for like $1 less (including shipping) than I have this pretty much used set listed. Today, it SELLS! It wasn't even on sale! Very crazy to me.
nichey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #126
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichey View Post
I haven't posted in this thread yet because my eBay store is pretty small and only really makes maybe a couple hundred in profit a month (more in actual sales, but I'm still trying to build inventory so most $$ get sunk back into the store).
HOWEVER, I cannot for the LIFE of me figure out how the buyer's mind works. For example: I have had this Pottery Barn doll furniture listed for MONTHS. Maybe a few people watching, one or two have made offers. I know I have it listed high, and I also have a detailed listing of all the little dings etc. that are on it. I've put it "on sale" a few times etc. Other people have the EXACT same thing listed NIP for like $1 less (including shipping) than I have this pretty much used set listed. Today, it SELLS! It wasn't even on sale! Very crazy to me.
I feel ya. Sometimes I'm like "what the heck?" I had a buyer give me a best offer on a Dooney and Bourke purse, that's in perfect condition for $50. I denied it. I have 14 watchers on it. So she sends me an email saying "$70 with free shipping and I can return it if I want". So, I said, I'm sorry, I can't go that low, but I do have a return policy, blah blah. IDK, the email was just weird. lol

But yeah, 14 watchers on the dang thing and it hasn't sold. It will eventually, but come on people, lol
Old 06-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #127
TrammellyFamily
Registered Users
Foremerly: MeadowAndColtsMama
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J
I want to get started selling on eBay again. I did it about 10 years ago and I did very well. I was working at a teen resell shop so I bought all of the designer labels that came in and sold them for a profit. But, I haven't sold on eBay in many years and I feel lost with the changes.

My big question is this: Should I open a Paypal account just for eBay? I know that they are holding people's money for over a month now. Can someone explain this to me? If I start selling on eBay and they are holding my funds, will they also hold my funds from sales I make on here? I don't want to sell diapers on eBay, so I am thinking I should open a second PayPal account and keep it all separate? What do you have to have attached to your PayPal account to sell on eBay? Just a credit card, or do you have to have a checking account also?
If you link the pp account to your normal checking I think you will.be fine. I've never had any funds held.
To the pp who asked about forums for ebay, I don't know of any but I agree about starting with odds and ends you have already. And really, the listing is not complicated, it really walks you through everything. If you leave something undone in the listings it will redirect you (you forgot to put in size or shipping). My mom is wanting to start selling now too and I told her the same, practice makes perfect with ebay, lol.
Today I found two pyrex vintage delphite bowls, listed them, and an art deco light fixture from a local estate. Oh, also I know 5princessmommy mentioned vs bras, but I've been selling some vs swimwear too, and it is making good profit. Even just tops alone seem to sell. I picked up a few more at gw tonight. I will list in the morning.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990 using DS Forum
Old 06-02-2012, 03:19 AM   #128
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrammellyFamily View Post
If you link the pp account to your normal checking I think you will.be fine. I've never had any funds held.
To the pp who asked about forums for ebay, I don't know of any but I agree about starting with odds and ends you have already. And really, the listing is not complicated, it really walks you through everything. If you leave something undone in the listings it will redirect you (you forgot to put in size or shipping). My mom is wanting to start selling now too and I told her the same, practice makes perfect with ebay, lol.
Today I found two pyrex vintage delphite bowls, listed them, and an art deco light fixture from a local estate. Oh, also I know 5princessmommy mentioned vs bras, but I've been selling some vs swimwear too, and it is making good profit. Even just tops alone seem to sell. I picked up a few more at gw tonight. I will list in the morning.

YES! That's true about the VS swimwear! Now is a GREAT time for that. I've been selling those too. Cracks me up that people buy half a suit, hehe
Old 06-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #129
sasra_nu
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post

I think it would be SO FUN to work at a resale clothing shop! I love kids' clothes. I'd open a kids' consignment store if I thought I could make any $ at it, but I don't think I could. I could seriously look through kids' clothes all day long.

Anyway, I've never had $ held on ebay. They may do that with your first few auctions or something, but if so, it doesn't last forever. a

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
Also - where do you recommend buying the stick on shipping labels and packing tape? Any places to get those for a great price?
Up to now, I've been just taping on paper labels. I found 200 peel and stick labels on Amazon for $8, though, so I'm going to give those a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrammellyFamily View Post

Good to know about the VS swimwear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichey View Post
It is weird! Maybe you were missing a keyword or something in your title that people were searching for? I've sold some things I never thought I'd sell, and others that I thought were a sure thing just sit and sit. A lot of times it's just the right person seeing your listing at the exact right time.

Anyway, I need to get to listing but it won't be today. We're headed out of town for the day. I am still hemming and hawing about opening a shop. The cheaper 30-day listings make it worth it (I think) - and it's so irritating to have to renew listings every 7 days.

Here's a fee calculator if anyone else is thinking of opening a store that tells you which store, or no store at all, is the better deal for you.
sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #130
1braydon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What did everyone find this morning yardsaling! details please. I only had 2 hours to spare and hit 8 sales. I bought two pair of timberland boots to hold til fall. a pair of like new nike shox and a pair of other nikes. a Vera bradley purse. A nip sassy newborn sleep system. Vintage pack of 4 childrens books in box. a 1926 Hymn. I think thats it...

Earn money and giftcards by searching at SWAGBUCKS!!!!!
1braydon is offline   Reply With Quote