Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #31
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM

I don't think ebay or paypal send a 1099 at $600. I want to say it's 200 transactions or $20,000.
Yes that's correct

Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #32
evaliesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: does anyone have a sucessful Ebay store?

how much time do you spend listing, shipping, etc. each day/week?
Old 05-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #33
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My SIL lives 5 minutes from the Dillard's outlet and she used to buy and resell a TON of name brand kids clothing.

It got too hard for her when she had her 4th kid, but she made a killing while she did it! So if you have a special outlet (Dillard's, Macy's, Hanna Andersson) and you have a head for wht will sell, you could do great.

Also, I buy books and resell them in a couple different places. But I know a lot about books, especially vintage ones. I have made maybe $500 in the last 5 or 6 months, just listing some whenever I feel like it. I could make a lot if I didn't have 3 kids, one on the way, homeschool, and cook 3 meals and 3 snacks a day!!!

I scour free books at garage sales, used book sales, the library, and I always take advantage of the fill-a-bag for $5 at the used book store.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #34
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

FWIW, I used to live where the thrift stores had ridiculous quantities of vintage/ antique dishes I knew would sell on ebay, but the thought of the packaging care necessary kept me from ever 'going there.'

BTW, if you are just selling your own used stuff or stuff you got for free, do you need to claim that on income tax? I didn't buy any of the books I resold in order to resell them. This year I have sold off my own book collection, though, plus a bunch of books I got for free.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #35
justjacqueline
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomom View Post
My SIL lives 5 minutes from the Dillard's outlet and she used to buy and resell a TON of name brand kids clothing.

It got too hard for her when she had her 4th kid, but she made a killing while she did it! So if you have a special outlet (Dillard's, Macy's, Hanna Andersson) and you have a head for wht will sell, you could do great.

Also, I buy books and resell them in a couple different places. But I know a lot about books, especially vintage ones. I have made maybe $500 in the last 5 or 6 months, just listing some whenever I feel like it. I could make a lot if I didn't have 3 kids, one on the way, homeschool, and cook 3 meals and 3 snacks a day!!!

I scour free books at garage sales, used book sales, the library, and I always take advantage of the fill-a-bag for $5 at the used book store.
I have a set of vintage books...they are not selling...what should I do? FWIW I got them for $2 at a yardsale so anything I sell them for is a profit. Shipping will be higher because they are heavy.
justjacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #36
justjacqueline
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Last edited by justjacqueline; 04-04-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #37
justjacqueline
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomom View Post

It got too hard for her when she had her 4th kid, but she made a killing while she did it! So if you have a special outlet (Dillard's, Macy's, Hanna Andersson) and you have a head for wht will sell, you could do great..
I will have to keep an eye out when we visit outlets on vacation! I have always seen a ton of wonderful deals at the coach outlet. I could get at least $50 profit on some of those bags if not more. The problem is having cash to buy a few up front lol. I just bought an authentic Coach for $75 off of our yardsale group and resold it for $125 - not on eBay but through a posting on my personal FB page - so no fees
Old 05-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #38
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjacqueline View Post
I hate to say it, but it might be your feedback. I typically won't buy from someone with lower than 99% positive. If you made the buyer happy after the fact, you can request they change their feedback.

BUt, my dh will buy from anyone, and has gotten screwed before and he still does it even the the sellers feedback has negatives and I'm like SEE lol
Old 05-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #39
justjacqueline
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's crazy. Some guy bought a phone from me. It arrived after the estimated date but he didn't upgrade the shipping to Priority to receive it in his wanted time so I shipped Parcel Post so he left negative, opened a PP case, and was basically a (Insert choice word here). I'm working on getting that up, but normally I get good reviews. OH and somehow they figure in weird stuff too that I don't really get....but that's eBay for you.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #40
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjacqueline View Post
That's crazy. Some guy bought a phone from me. It arrived after the estimated date but he didn't upgrade the shipping to Priority to receive it in his wanted time so I shipped Parcel Post so he left negative, opened a PP case, and was basically a (Insert choice word here). I'm working on getting that up, but normally I get good reviews. OH and somehow they figure in weird stuff too that I don't really get....but that's eBay for you.
Yeah, I am not saying you did anything wrong, just that that could be a factor, because your listings look good, good pics, etc. Ebayers are CRAZY. You have to jump through hoops sometimes to make them happy. To me, it's worth it to just refund someone and be done with it, then risk my feedback. Even if I KNOW I am right. For example, I sold a bra to a girl. she writes me says the bra has holes. I'm like what the heck, right? So she sent pics and there were HUGE holes in it. NOT something you could miss when packing it up, or in my pictures for that matter. I am convinced she had the same bra, wore it to death, saw mine, and bought it, then claimed my bra was her old one. But, it wasn't worth fighting over and calling her a liar. So, I refunded her. Then I sent her a cancellation request to get my fees back, and she never responded. Nice. Never left me feedback either. I'm positive I got scammed there. But a $12 bra just wasn't worth the fight.