Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
There is a good chance we may go to South Korea over the summer... For up to 3 weeks to visit DH's family. I'm super excited as its only every few years we go & it'll be the first time for ds2 to meet almost all of them except his grandparents.
Ds2 has multiple allergies... Peanuts, eggs, dairy, nuts shellfish & SOY. EVERYTHING in Korea is cooked with soy. I just have no idea what to do.
When we are out we will have to eat because traffic is horrendous. We will stay at my in laws so I can cook for him- but that's another issue.. Cross contamination. They do not have dishwashers to use... Here the dishwashers are hot enough Ro kill the protien.
I'm thinking I could buy my own pan, sponge & soap.
I don't know what to do for snacks & when we are out.
Any ideas? I'll get some freeze dried fruit, crackers, fruit & veggie pouches, some treats & thinking about baking some muffins & cookies for
Him. I don't want to pack an arm & a leg.
Luckily the kid can love off of roasted seaweed wrapped rice- so I'll bring some tuna to mix in it for protein.
We will go to Costco for water, but I'm not sure they'll have safe snacks. There is like 1 safe store bough snack & Popsicle I've come across on our trips to the K mart.
I'm stressed.... I want to enjoy this & want him to too without worrying ill have to use the Epi & the ambulance won't get to us because traffic really is THAT bad.
ETA: if we do go I will also break down & buy some Great Lakes gelatin to mix in his drinks for added protein.

Advertisement

E-2.1.14

Last edited by mrseum; 02-26-2013 at 11:43 AM.
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Re: Traveling food allergy kiddos?

Oh my goodness mama ... what a task! Our little man is "off the charts" allergic to soy, according to his test results, and we're avoiding about 20 other foods for him too. I can't imagine traveling internationally.

If the heat of a dishwasher decontaminates the soy, wouldn't pre-heating a pan do it even better? Just a thought. And maybe you can use disposable serving dishes for him, there.

Trying to think of calorie-dense items ... so they will pack well ...

Have you tried goat's milk yet? It comes powdered. My son likes it with Soda Stream diet root beer syrup in it (which doesn't have aspartame, it's Splenda). The root beer syrup has been our silver bullet for getting many things in him, from his fish oil to his probiotics. Adding a tiny bit in a smoothie doesn't have a goat taste either, but he adores goat cheese so we're lucky there.

We also make everything into nuggets. Any flour or baking mix that is safe for you would do. We chunk up the meat, shake it in a baggie with the flour and a little seasoning, and then fry in a safe oil.

If you have a good Asian store nearby, with a knowledgable staff, you could "preview" some of the foods that are the big brands in South Korea. Here we have a large one where all the foods are labeled in English. Or maybe you can research that online? There must be some equivalent of Campbell's or Con Agra over there, that has a website, that lists food ingredients. And maybe one has somebody you can email to confirm if their packaged foods have traces of your problem ingredients.

Have you ever made coconut rice? There are lots of recipes online. It's very calorie dense and not all carbs, my son loves it. That's another that you could make there, and carry along during the day while you're out.

Pork rinds are another we rely on in a pinch. Protein and fat.

Potato chips too - they have a touch of protein, some fiber, and a good amount of fat.

If there are NDs (naturopathic physicians) in your state, that's the best suggestion I can make. Working with a naturopath, over the course of just a few months we reduced the severity of my son's allergies to the point that we don't have a scary incident when we have an accident. I really believe this is why we've never had an anaphylactic reaction, and why each accident has produced a less severe reaction than the one before. She diagnosed leaky gut (which is a controversial diagnoses, I know) and he takes probiotics and this stuff called Intestinal Repair Complex, with vitamins and fish oil. He also avoids foods to which he has slight sensitivities, not just the ones that cause a severe reaction, which lets his whole system calm down. Within 3 months he ate a Ritz cracker with just a little blotchiness, and I could have soy and wheat in small amounts and nurse him with no problem at all. After 6, he can steal a handful of goldfish crackers at a party with no reaction except having a restless night and being cranky the next morning.

It sounds like you need not just to find safe foods, but to find a feeling of safety - that's a tough combo!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Traveling food allergy kiddos?

Make sure you check with customs and the airlines about foods that are allowed/not allowed. A lot of foods are not allowed through customs. Which allergen are you worried about with not having a dishwasher? As far as I know hot water and soap is sufficient in removing proteins, except for gluten. Of course the only real research on it was done on peanuts. But everything I have read give a general - thorough cleaning with a grease fighting soap like dawn and hot water is sufficient.

Can you have someone check the local stores to see what is available? Its a bit trickier since they don't require the same labeling as the US. I think your best bet is to pack the dried fruits and such if they are allowed through customs- fruits are usually an issues though, not sure if it applies to freeze dried though. The pouches will probably be allowed. The stick to fresh stuff once your there, I'd probably wash those wish dawn too. I don't know that I would trust labeling. Go to an Asian food store like pp suggested.

Try to get someone to check places you might go out and about to see if they are able to accommodate you. That might be a but trickier.

Good luck!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

I don't know much about customs, but could you ship food over before? I don't know what milk he drinks, but I know rice milk comes not refrigerated you could buy that and ship it to them and have them set it aside. Same for snacks he can eat. That way you'll have it and you don't had to take it with you.
LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have thought about sending stuff- but generally my MIL packs all sorts of foods in her checked luggage & it's ok. I plan to have the doctor write a note for the food I will carry on (we'll be traveling 15 hours or so IF everything goes smoothly.) & I figured I could add a copy if the letter & one translated to Korean in my checked bag for extra measure. Really prefer to go with my husband to the stores & check things out myself since others may not take it as seriously & overlook things. We did just return from a korean market & I found about4-5 seemingly safe snacks, some tempura type breaking & a few other things. I need to get some grapefruit seed extract to clean fruits & veggies with. Unless water is boiled I won't use it. 1st trip I got giardia- lost 10 lbs & almost couldn't fly home. Lesson learned!
E-2.1.14

Last edited by mrseum; 02-26-2013 at 02:36 PM.
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote