Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
earthboundfairy
Registered Users

Wool recommendations

So after battling a bad diaper rash on my son (that we suspect started with his gpants) and seeing loads of improvement when he only ever wears just his fitteds/snappi'd prefolds with no cover on or with a wool wrap, i think we've decided to destash our PUL covers and switch to all wool.

I started looking for some wool soakers, shorties & longies though and man! They can get pretty expensive!!! I'm not sure if i can justify $60-$70 on one diaper cover!!!

Any CD-ing mamas out there using wool? Any recommendations for wool stuff that we can start out with that's not crazy expensive? Was hoping to get some from WAHMs on Etsy and would love to see suggestions!

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Advertisement

earthboundfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Loveybums has very good prices on wool covers and pullons. IMO their pull-on is not night worthy. Haven't tried their interlock wrap though. I love their jersey wraps the best. They have seconds that are sold as seconds due to serving flaws or a dye spot. So you can get them at a really great price.

Disana pull-ons are bulletproof at night, when lanolized twice and felted in the wet zone. You can find them for $23 at A Small Green Footprint. They would also work well during the day also.

Wild Coconut Wear has great interlock, but is more expensive than LB and Disanas, but is around the $30-40 range. There is a BST site on Facebook, so you can find it cheaper there.
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Also, you could get by with only having 3 day time covers and two night worthy covers. If you only used night worthy covers, I think you could survive with 3-4.
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
MamaJosie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Wool recommendations

I am new to cloth but I just picked up a newborn wool cover from Ozark Mountain Mama, I think it was $20 but I saw some that we're $16 or $17, I think. It's just a cover, not shorts or pants but I liked that it had the snap down for the cord.

I have no idea if a cover is the same as shorts or pants or if this is good quality but figured I'd mention it.
MamaJosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

3 disana wool soakers would be a great wool stash. We use wool 99.9% of the time and Disana was a great start for us, we use them almost exclusively. I second Small Green Footprint for shopping.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

3 disana wool soakers would be a great wool stash. We use wool 99.9% of the time and Disana was a great start for us, we use them almost exclusively. I second Small Green Footprint for shopping.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've got the Lovey Bums crepe covers and love them! I'll second Disana for nights.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
topazdodge
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would watch on FSOT here and on spots... you can pick up great pieces for $20 or $25 a piece if you're patient. Fleece longies and covers also work well, you just have to wash them after a day of use whereas wool lasts much longer than that. I prefer knitted and crocheted wool to interlock, but interlock works fine too. I don't think I have bought many of my pieces new, most are gently used and in great shape.

Free Crochet Longies Instructions Here
topazdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

You could check out Babysnickerdoodles on etsy. She has great-looking wool at a really affordable price. Could be a good way to bulk up your stash.
yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
mom2corag
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you can knit, you can make some for less than the out-of-this-world prices. There are more affordable yarns that are perfectly functional for diapering. They don't come in all the yummy colors, though!