Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
Abbigator5
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about audiology and speech therapy evaluations...

I have a different situation. My son failed the hearing screen in the hospital. We have gone through MANY speech evals, hearing tests, sedated hearing tests, using hearing aids, and getting a cochlear implant. He is three now, and is manking many more sounds, and some letter sounds, but no words yet. This is fine for him because he also has cerebral palsy, so just getting his mouth to work right adds to the difficulty.

One thing I have to say though, is that through all of those things there wasn't one person that ever said I was a bad mom, or I wasn't doing something right because he wasn't making enough sounds or talking etc. All of the therapists that do these evaluations know and understand that there can be may different types of problems, or no problems at all, and some kiddos just develop at different rates.

The most important thing is to remember that you are in charge. Any therapist or doctor can tell you what their opinion is, or what they think should happen, but the decision is yours. If you think he should be getting therapy and isn't, then fight for it, if you think he doesn't need a certain test then don;t get it. He's your son mama, and no one can tell you what to do, and doctors will respect you for being an advocate for your child. You know him better then anyone else.

Advertisement

Abbigator5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

Well the appointments have been made. We are going in for his audiology evaluation today and his speech evaluation next week. I hope I finally get some answers!
Old 05-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #13
mommieleah74
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I really would love to know what you find out because I am going through almost the same thing. My 20 month old is doing the same things you described. We have the lady coming out tomorrow to evaluate him to see if he needs assistance with therapy or not. We have had the hearing test done and he passed without a problem. I just don't understand what is going on with him. He doesn't even say mama. It about makes me cry. I want so badly to hear that from him. He doesn't do certain actions that other babies do either so I am not sure how the eval tomorrow will go. I guess we will find out.
mommieleah74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #14
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm glad things went well!!! I work for an audiologist and I was concerned about my sons speech and hearing at about the age of your lo. He barely said 10 words...most of them only I could understand.

Fast forward to now...ds is 26 mos and talking in full sentences. His speech really did explode overnight.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #15
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Glad audiology went well. How about speech?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #16
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

Re: *Update* Talk to me about audiology and speech therapy evaluations...

Updated the 1st post
Old 05-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #17
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Glad you are getting help. Speech has helped us a ton. My dd was 20 months at a 5 month level. It was rough. But now she is 2.6 and speaks in sentences and is understandable in a home setting.

We love our slp. I am sure your ds will have a lot of fun.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:41 PM   #18
JKCCart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am hearing, but I have been a pretty big part of the Deaf-World since 1998, when I first started learning ASL.

Now I have a child who is 7 months old. She was born grey and with an apgar of 0 and then NO SCORE because the doctor was too busy working on her to record. She was resuscitated and then on a vent for 2.5 days, and in the NICU a total of 14 days. She has now gained diagnosis of epilepsy, cortical visually impaired, hypertonia (future CP diagnosis?), and her CT scan obviously revealed brain damage. We are in the middle of getting her hearing really tested. She may have some loss, but she is not profoundly deaf.

What I don't understand is why no one in the therapy world has ever said anything to me about my offering her sign language/Deaf culture as an option. Now I completely understand why moms let their kids get funneled into the whole system of testing for hearing, and thrusted into speech therapy. It saddens me to know that there are babies/children out there who are born to use a visual language (ASL) and can excel in life, but are made to feel like they should only use spoken English in order to amount to anything.

I am so happy to know what I know about the Deaf-World so that I can offer my daughter the gift of ASL, Deaf culture, and visual song.

This isn't a direct hit to anyone at all. I just was wanting to share my feelings about the things I've been through the last couple of weeks. I honestly think most mothers would bend over backwards to do what they could to help their child in need. I just feel sad that some people have never heard of the Deaf-World as being a wonderful option for life.

Jessica
Jessica wife to Kevin 12/05 mama to Christopher 12/06 our sweet baby LEVI in heaven July 17th, 2008 Hope July 17th, 2009 and Sahara Grace CHRIST FOLLOWER, BREASTFEEDING, BABY WEARING, CLOTH EVERYTHING MAMA
JKCCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #19
lalaura
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Glad to hear you are getting help. I did the speech and audiology thing with my DD at 24 months. I have gotten her speech therapy because she is so far behind with speech. (She was only saying mama and dada at 2) She has been going to speech therapy for a couple months as well as a feeding group (she has sensory issues and low weight for her age) and her speech has greatly improved in that little time.

It will also help if the speech therapist talks with you after sessions so you know what to do at home too

Proud SAHM to 2 beautiful girls J (03/11/07) and Z (01/18/10)
lalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #20
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCCart View Post
I am hearing, but I have been a pretty big part of the Deaf-World since 1998, when I first started learning ASL.

Now I have a child who is 7 months old. She was born grey and with an apgar of 0 and then NO SCORE because the doctor was too busy working on her to record. She was resuscitated and then on a vent for 2.5 days, and in the NICU a total of 14 days. She has now gained diagnosis of epilepsy, cortical visually impaired, hypertonia (future CP diagnosis?), and her CT scan obviously revealed brain damage. We are in the middle of getting her hearing really tested. She may have some loss, but she is not profoundly deaf.

What I don't understand is why no one in the therapy world has ever said anything to me about my offering her sign language/Deaf culture as an option. Now I completely understand why moms let their kids get funneled into the whole system of testing for hearing, and thrusted into speech therapy. It saddens me to know that there are babies/children out there who are born to use a visual language (ASL) and can excel in life, but are made to feel like they should only use spoken English in order to amount to anything.

I am so happy to know what I know about the Deaf-World so that I can offer my daughter the gift of ASL, Deaf culture, and visual song.

This isn't a direct hit to anyone at all. I just was wanting to share my feelings about the things I've been through the last couple of weeks. I honestly think most mothers would bend over backwards to do what they could to help their child in need. I just feel sad that some people have never heard of the Deaf-World as being a wonderful option for life.

Jessica
You make a really good point. A lot of parents I know do start with the signing but its just a few basic words. I think it is really hit or miss with the speech pathologist you use. Our private one (but we are switching as I got insurance to cover it finally) I noticed has some (or maybe more) signing as she was using some signing techniques out of habit (she is completely hearing) with my son today to get him to stop pointing to his eyes when she was trying to get him to say "I" as in a sentence. If he were younger, I could absolutely see her teaching us it but she is also younger/20's and I've noticed a huge difference with the younger generation of speech pathologists who are far more open to ASL and other communication things like, IPADS vs. the older ones (40's,50's) and they are far more old school. It also probably depends on where you live as we have a huge amount of services and several hearing impaired schools.