Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
daddy4manlycds
Registered Users

My Mood:
SAHD

So I've just resigned my position as a manager of a tire store to become a stay at home dad. Not gonna lie I made tons of money but I was working 12-14 hours a day 5-6 days a week. My wife makes decent money but we decided that by me staying at home that would allow her to finish her last 3 semesters to get her bachelor's degree. If I would have stayed working she would not have time since she would have the kids. We were getting tired of paying someone else to raise the kids and felt this was the best solution. Any other dads on here trade in a career to stay at home with the kiddos? I know it's going to be a tough transition since I've been in the workforce for 30 years, but I think the rewards will greatly compensate.

Advertisement

daddy4manlycds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #2
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

Re: SAHD

I think this a great thing! There was a SAHD that lived up the road from me a while ago. He was on the ball and at every occasion and school function. He ran circles around some of us SAHMs.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:45 AM   #3
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
I know that there are some here.

I know at least one or two in real life.

My spouse couldn't do it. He spends too much time on fb and other stuff than paying attention to the kids and house.

So cudos to you for even trying.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using DS Forum
Old 02-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
Emmers22185
Registered Users
seller
seller

My husband is a SAHD currently. He is quickly learning the ropes and adjusting to being the primary caretaker of our 4, 2 and 3 month old plus a 5 year old who attends Kindergarten. I think all is going well so far.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #5
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchoflemons View Post

My spouse couldn't do it. He spends too much time on fb and other stuff than paying attention to the kids and house.

So cudos to you for even trying.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using DS Forum
IKR I am an in the same boat. Mine is video games which I keep in the bedroom. He wont even take his time on the weekends to take care of them while I am there. They wouldnt survive if it was all the time.

I throw my hat off to any guys that are up for the challenge.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #6
mommy2sammy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Dh was a sahd for a few months, and while I was nervous about how it would go, he totally rocked it. Kept the house much cleaner than me! However, he said he didn't mind it, but it wasn't for him. He'd rather be working and couldn't do it full time because he was burnt out & getting a little snippy/depressed. I think it would have gone better in the summer when he could take the kids outside and be active.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #7
gardensparrow
Registered Users

Hey there~

Well, I hope you're able to find some other SAHDs here. I know they're around. But I'm glad that you and your wife have figured out what works best for your family and want to make sure one of you is around while your kids are young. I know that's it's hard to give up a double income, but I'm sure your children appreciate it. So, I hope you're able to find lots of support. My prayers will be with you!

gardensparrow
#girlluvs2garden#
gardensparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:10 AM   #8
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

Glad you joined the site! I love being a SAHM, so I hope you enjoy being the at-home parent as much as I do. My DH would be a great SAHD, but I could never command the salary he does, so it's not an option for him.

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:45 AM   #9
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

My husband is a stay at home dad. He rocks it. I'm a little jealous.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #10
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My husband is a stay at home dad but he's not much of a housekeeper. I usually pay my oldest to clean the house which he's happy about because he likes having spending money. my husband has a hard time getting tasks done, I think he has adhd.

He has a lot of anxiety so I dont think he'd be happy working out of the house either because he'd be constantly worried about getting fired. plus I like my job and have an incredible schedule, if DH worked that would mean less free time for us to do things as a family
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend

Last edited by KaleidoscopeEyes; 05-04-2015 at 12:01 PM.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote