Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
mandmsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My BG 4.0 vs BG Freetime Comparison with Pics

Ok everyone, here is why I decided to do this comparison. I needed a diaper with aplix closure for my hubby to use because he insists that snaps are "too complicated" so I set out to choose one. I went back and forth between the BG 4.0s and the BG Freetimes for a while and I ultimately ended up going with the 4.0s because, at the time, the reviews on the Freetimes seemed a bit iffy. Well fast forward a month after I bought my 24 BG 4.0s and the Freetimes are getting much better reviews so I started to second guess my decision. I figured that I would get 1 Freetime to try out before I made up my mind for sure one way or the other.

Let me start by saying that I really like my 4.0s and the main reason that I was regretting not getting the Freetimes was because everyone keeps saying how absorbent they are. Absorbency is the biggest issue for us because my 29 month old is a heavy wetter. We only use the 4.0s during the day at home because, even stuffed with both inserts, he can only go 2-3 hr before they are completely soaked so they don't work for naps/nights/outings. Luckily, I was able to find a nice mama on here that sold me a FT at a great price for me to try.

When I got the FT in the mail I was immediately a bit concerned about the size. It looked significantly smaller to me than my 4.0s and it also looked pretty thin to me. I know a lot of people complain that the FTs are bulky, but when compared to a double stuffed 4.0 they are much trimmer. Here is a picture of the 4.0 and FT side by side. The 4.0 is on the left and looks much larger then the FT on the right...

I decided to put it to the ultimate test...overnight. Dun, dun, dun! So I put it on my son who is 29 months old, 30lbs and 36in. I was immediately surprised by the fit. Though it looks smaller then the 4.0, the fit was actually very similar and it was definitely trimmer. It was maybe a little shorter in the rise, but not by a significant amount. Here are some pics to compare.

This is the FT...

And this is the 4.0...

And how did the FT survive the overnight test? It passed with flying colors! I put it on him with no doubler at all and my son sleeps from 9pm to 9am so he was in it for 12 hrs straight. I expected to go in and find him with wet sheets and wet pants, but his clothes and bed were totally dry. The diaper was soaked for sure, but it held in all the wetness. I'm actually baffled at how the FT can be so absorbent with so little absorbent material. If the FT is able to absorb that much then I would think that the 4.0 inserts should be able to absorb more because they seem much thicker and like there is much more material, but that isn't the case at all. The 4.0s can't even make it through a 4 hr nap without leaking.

One other big factor for me when I chose a diaper was size. My son is already 29 months old and he has global developmental delays so he will probably be in diapers for quite some time still so I needed what I chose to still have enough room to grow with him. The 4.0s definitely do, but I wasn't so sure about the FT. So I decided to test the fit of both diapers out on my 4 yr old. She has been potty trained for quite some time now, but I decided to try them on her just to see if they would fit her. She is 37lbs and 39 1/4in and is on the chunky side so I wasn't sure if they would fit her at all, but surprisingly both the 4.0 and the FT did. Here are some pics to compare.

This is the FT...

And this is the 4.0...

So what are my conclusions? I like them both. I have decided to keep half of the 4.0s that I purchased to use with my Flip organic inserts for nights and outings and I am selling the other half to fund some Freetimes which I will use for at home and for naps. I think I will probably stop using the 4.0 inserts because for us they just aren't absorbent enough, but I do like the 4.0 pockets because you can stuff them with pretty much whatever you want. All in all, they are both great quality diapers...

Advertisement

I'm Andrea- Special Needs CDing, Extended Harnessing, Homeschooling, NON-circumcising, SAHM to my beautiful little red headed princess Mylee Memphis (02/19/08) and my extra special Autistic little man Maverick Machai (11/30/09) and wife to Dustin since 05/12/07. We love our M&M babies!!!
mandmsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
mom2corag
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: My BG 4.0 vs BG Freetime Comparison with Pics

Great review, mama, thanks!!! I was thinking the same thing about the Freetimes - that they can't possibly be absorbent enough.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I like both my 4.0 and my FT! Both for different reasons, a.d I have the snaps. I like that is needed you can add a layer under the flaps of the FT and it works just as well for those extra milk days.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

Great review! The reason the FTs look shorter in pics is because of the way the flaps are sewn in. They "drag" the diaper down a bit when no baby is in it, but once you put it on & tug the top up, it straightens to nearly the same rise as a 4.0.
I was shocked at how much the FT holds, too. I like that I can tuck a super thin Hemp Babies doubler in for more absorbency, but I honestly haven't needed it.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
Zepp
DS Addict
Formerly: K*B*T*M*
seller
seller

My Mood:
Awesome!! Great, thorough review and very informative!

Sent from my iPhone- forgive the craziness
Old 05-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
princessgirl409
Registered Users
seller

I am curious...I tried the BGE for my 16 mo. old dd who is 25-26 lbs. and the rise was a strange fit. When the diaper was on her the top seam that should lay flat against her belly ALWAYS rolls in like something on the inside of the diaper is pulling it. No matter how many times I fix it, it goes right back.
Do the FT do this? It may be hard to answer that if you've never had that problem with the bge, but I would love to know...
dd 4/09 dd 1/11
dd 12/13 (24 wks) expecting twins 1/15
princessgirl409 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great review. I'm surprised by how much trimmer the FT appears to be. I've heard that they were pretty bulky.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessgirl409
I am curious...I tried the BGE for my 16 mo. old dd who is 25-26 lbs. and the rise was a strange fit. When the diaper was on her the top seam that should lay flat against her belly ALWAYS rolls in like something on the inside of the diaper is pulling it. No matter how many times I fix it, it goes right back.
Do the FT do this? It may be hard to answer that if you've never had that problem with the bge, but I would love to know...
I have found that if I have her FT on one snap to tight it rolls out, and looks all funky, my bg 4.0s do the same. Its not like it is over tight, but just one snap to tight.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Really awesome. Thank you.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Great review! I am so glad you are happy with the FT!