Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #11
princemelissas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: It is a basic Thursday

Advertisement

princemelissas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #12
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

BTW, totally LOL at Mel's shared bathroom time last night. Jeez, we have three toilets and I *maybe* get to use one uninterrupted once a week.

So my latest conundrum with the house is the backsplash tile. Originally I was going to put it off a year, to save costs. But when they removed the old formica counter, it had a 4" backsplash on it and the wall behind that is damaged, so just paint won't do. And we are under budget on the kitchen so I want to go ahead and do it. You'd think it would be easy.

I had four solid color ceramic tiles picked out, had a fave but wanted to wait until the counter was installed to make a final choice. Turns out my #2 choice looks best, a weird pinkish beige. So I go back to Lowes and see if I can order it in a subway tile size (my sample is a standard 4 1/4" square you find in many bathrooms/kitchens). Nope. Can't get it in any other size, and it's a discontinued color so it's questionable if they can find enough of the square. Ugh. I then ask what it would cost to get another beige in subway size, and it is literally FOUR times the cost of buying the same tile in black or white that they have in stock at the store. While I wouldn't have minded paying that for the pinkish beige, I don't want to pay that for a beige I "settle" for because it's all there is.

Detroit apparently is not big enough to support tile discount warehouses like I am used to in Houston and Dallas. Just little flooring stores. And what's popular now is the multicolored mosiac stuff, all mediums (glass, stone, ceramic, etc) and that will NOT go with my granite. I'm having a really hard time finding the right color ceramic or glass tile, all the same color and size, for any price much less a reasonable one.

There is one store about 30 minutes away that is sort of similar to the large tile discount warehouses I'm used to. If I'm lucky I will go there today. But I gotta get Ian to swim lessons and go check on the big house (they are supposed to do plumbing and appliance install today), and both are in the total opposite directions of said store. Sigh.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #13
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

And I need to figure out what to fill the car up with to take to the big house. I am running out of stuff I can easily toss in there. I don't have it in me to actually *pack* anything today.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #14
jacksmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

what about skipping tile and doing something ilk this

http://www.americantinceilings.com/backsplash.html
Old 05-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #15
ruvalokiteshvara
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oooooh, love the tin, Kari - so shiny and pretty!

Freethinker - Free Ranger - Free for All
ruvalokiteshvara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #16
jacksmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we have it at our house
Old 05-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #17
jwjbbrown
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would totally do something fun like tin. It is washable, cleanable, and easily replaceable when you resell. Get it in the same finish as the hardware!
jwjbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #18
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
Formerly: whitehologram
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurmommies View Post
I've got potato soup on the boil now. It is smelling great!

Ru and E are at a Mother's Day tea hosted by the Beavers tonight. Kinda sad I am missing that.
I'll miss the Mother/father's day thing in Hort on Tuesday too. I understand. I'm sad about it too

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmommy1 View Post
Ru they *might* have them in buffalo. Is there a wegmans there in buffalo if so they would def have them. or just buy tiny potatoes and boil in salt

so mil just texted me. SHe said stella took her baby sat down lifted her shirt to feed her baby and told her nonny they were her breasts lol. Mil was probably mortified
Awww so cute!!!

Quote:
Poor MH. She got to hang out with me while I went to the bathroom because she was in the tub and my digestive system decided to wig out. Oh well. We chatted. It was rather funny. My guess is that it won't be the last time it happens while I am here!

I am trying to figure out what I had that bothered me. I can't figure it out, unless I am now SO sensitive to soda that I can't have any at all. Grrrrr. Majorly frustrating.

Oddly enough, it feels damp here tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvalokiteshvara View Post
He said that whatmade you special is that thanks to you, he exists.
Awwwww!

Quote:
Seriously?! Oh, cute! Self-centered in a kid way, but cute!

Got my PJs on, talked to MH about the weather, and now I am in bed. Let's hope my gut has calmed down and I can sleep well.

Goodnight all!
Good morning Janine!
Good morning Mel!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #19
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
Formerly: whitehologram
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjbbrown View Post
I would totally do something fun like tin. It is washable, cleanable, and easily replaceable when you resell. Get it in the same finish as the hardware!

Ohhh me too. I like that!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #20
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DH is not on board with tin backsplash, I had him look at that at the very beginning. But I will look again, maybe there is one that is more modern and cool that would appeal to him. To be honest, most of them are very traditional and that's not the look we want. I know they have peel and stick metal tiles too but I had that in our house in TX and it's a PITA to clean.