Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
elysian
Registered Users
seller

My child was left in bathroom during firedrill....

My daughter (age 5/preschool) was in the bathroom when the fire alarm went off. She came out to an empty classroom & empty building. She knew enough to go upstairs (her room is in the basement) & ask someone for help. The teacher apologized & knows she messed up. My daughter told me later that she thought she was going to die. I'm very upset about this, but don't want to overreact. Should I just let this go?

Advertisement

elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My child was left in bathroom during firedrill....

Did the teacher contact you? If not, I'd give her a call or drop an email expressing concern.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
momof2littles
Registered Users
seller

Shame on that teacher! She should've let an administrator know one of her students was out of the class room.

Shame on the admins! They should be checking the restrooms!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
It is required for the teachers to take roll during a fire drill or any other drill and inform the admin of missing children. So they can go back and get the missing child.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Did the teacher contact you? If not, I'd give her a call or drop an email expressing concern.
yes this...it would depend on who i found out from. Did your child tell you this? Or was a note/phone call made? If a sincere apology from the teacher AND preferably an administrator was not made, I'd be hot...like they thought they could let it slip unnoticed. If however, they sent a note and sounded sorry and promised it would never happen again and also that they will be more diligent in checking all bathrooms in a drill or potential real emergency, then i'd thank them for their honesty and let it go.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
AwesomeJen
Registered Users
seller

I had this happen to my son in preschool. He was in the bathroom and the teachers forgot and took the rest of the kids to recess. Not only was he left in the bathroom, but somebody turned the lights off on him. Poor kid was terrified. The teachers apologized and I understand that those things happen occasionally. I just had a talk with him and we went over what to do if he was ever left by himself and we practiced walking to the office to get help. We both felt much better after that.
AwesomeJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wow. I would make sure this gets attention. The whole purpose of these drills is to practice for an emergency! Checking the bathrooms should be in her list. Most teachers are given notice of drills ahead of time so it's not like she was in panic mode....
Old 05-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
elysian
Registered Users
seller

Yes, she let me know what happened & I know that she feels really bad about it. I feel badly for her.....I just keep wondering how she could forget to check the bathroom....it's just a small room inside the classroom. Guess this is why they have drills. Very grateful it wasn't a real fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

Yikes. I would address it, especially since your daughter was so upset. I would also go over fire safety with her, and hopefully she'll feel better for it. This was just a drill, so I wouldn't do overboard either, but at the same time you would like it addressed so that your teacher realizes how easily something could happen in a real event, kwim?

Slight hijack, but related-when I was in sixth grade we had numerous crank bomb threats made to our school. During one such event we were told it was a fire drill and my teacher actually sent me back in to shut her door! I don't know if she was aware we were going outside for a bomb threat and not a drill, and I'm sure everyone was a little "numb" to the threats at that point (it was a past student and he called probably every day for a week, etc), but yay, that made me feel very safe after the fact.
happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm really impressed that your daughter had the common sense to go out and find help! My daughter would have first cried and hid in the bathroom. Then, never gone back in the bathroom again.

I'm proud of her, and I don't even know her.

Since he teacher already let you know... I'd drop the subject. She learned a lesson, you know that your child is a problem solver, and does well under pressure... and I'd probably let it go.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 05-10-2012 at 09:15 PM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote