Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
elysian
Registered Users
seller

Re: My child was left in bathroom during firedrill....

Thank you, I'm very proud of her too! She told me she was "almost" crying but knew she needed to find someone to help her. I think I'm more upset than her at this point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
I'm really impressed that your daughter had the common sense to go out and find help! My daughter would have first cried and hid in the bathroom. Then, never gone back in the bathroom again.

I'm proud of her, and I don't even know her.

Since he teacher already let you know... I'd drop the subject. She learned a lesson, you know that your child is a problem solver, and does well under pressure... and I'd probably let it go.

Advertisement

elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #12
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

That depends, do you feel the school adequately addressed the issue so that it will not happen again? That is why they do drills, as training. I would be upset too, BUT if you feel they learned from it and it won't happen again any child then that's the best they can do.
mibarra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #13
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think you need to throw a huge fit and I mean HUGE . That is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE! What if it was not just a drill ? What if it was a real fire ? Your child could have died because this teacher failed to do her job.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #14
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If the teacher told you, and apologized, I'd let it drop. What else can she do? She said she was sorry, and I'll bet that she will be super careful from now on, as I'm sure she learned her lesson.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #15
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysian
Yes, she let me know what happened & I know that she feels really bad about it. I feel badly for her.....I just keep wondering how she could forget to check the bathroom....it's just a small room inside the classroom. Guess this is why they have drills. Very grateful it wasn't a real fire.
I'd be greatful it wasn't a real fire and hope that she remembers to check the bathrooms from now on. I'd also explain to DD the difference between a fire drill and the real thing. Explain she did exactly what she should do in either situation.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #16
dolphingirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
If the teacher told you, and apologized, I'd let it drop. What else can she do? She said she was sorry, and I'll bet that she will be super careful from now on, as I'm sure she learned her lesson.
I completely agree! I think it's a mistake that she will probably never forget, and if there were a real emergency in the future, this incident would serve as an excellent reminder for her to always check the bathroom.
I used to be a classroom teacher and am trying to put myself in the teacher's shoes. I would feel terrible and would have learned a lesson, but really, what is putting up a fit going to do? We all make mistakes and I'm sure this is one she learned from.
Kristin
dolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #17
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieJack View Post
I think you need to throw a huge fit and I mean HUGE . That is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE! What if it was not just a drill ? What if it was a real fire ? Your child could have died because this teacher failed to do her job.
What exactly would you do and what would you hope to accomplish by throwing a fit? Could haves happen in our lives every day.

Other than the apology that OP already got and the lesson that the teacher will likely never forget, what is there to accomplish?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #18
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids

What exactly would you do and what would you hope to accomplish by throwing a fit? Could haves happen in our lives every day.

Other than the apology that OP already got and the lesson that the teacher will likely never forget, what is there to accomplish?

I totally think the teacher feels horrible already. What would pitching a HUGE fit accomplish?

As a teacher I have never left a kid inside during a fire drill but I could see how it may happen. And we are told get everyone you can out first then get the rest. I'm not going to hold my class up in a burning room for one person to finish their business in the potty.

I think you'd have an upset parent no matter what you do. Leave the kid in the potty or grab a half naked kid mid pee. Imagine the crap she would have gotten if she grabbed her during potty time! "my dd was yanked out of the bathroom during a fire drill half naked!"

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #19
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post

I think you'd have an upset parent no matter what you do. Leave the kid in the potty or grab a half naked kid mid pee. Imagine the crap she would have gotten if she grabbed her during potty time! "my dd was yanked out of the bathroom during a fire drill half naked!"
Agreed. I can see people saying..."It was just a drill!" You have no idea how crazy things get in a school til you've spent a day subbing or working there. Multiply your kid's craziness by 25! Kids are constantly on the move, and you are making a million split second decisions. No one pats you on the back for the 1001 right decisions you made today. They just freak out over the 1 unfortunate one. And sometimes you are damned no matter what you do.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #20
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am sure that since she volunteered the information and offered an apology she must realize how serious it is and has learned a lesson. I look at my son's kindergarten teacher and am amazed at how well she stays on top of 20+ 5 & 6 yr olds.

If she didn't think it was a big enough deal to mention it or apologize then I would have been very upset. I feel bad for her, I would be horrified at the realization that I left a child behind in a fire drill.