Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2012, 12:45 AM   #21
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: My child was left in bathroom during firedrill....

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
What exactly would you do and what would you hope to accomplish by throwing a fit? Could haves happen in our lives every day.

Other than the apology that OP already got and the lesson that the teacher will likely never forget, what is there to accomplish?
I would go to the superintendent . This teacher needs to be reprimanded. There are precautions in place to insure that no child is left behind. This teacher failed to do those things and risked a child's life by not doing so. Thank goodness that the OP's child was composed enough to know that she needed to find help.

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #22
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieJack

I would go to the superintendent . This teacher needs to be reprimanded. There are precautions in place to insure that no child is left behind. This teacher failed to do those things and risked a child's life by not doing so. Thank goodness that the OP's child was composed enough to know that she needed to find help.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #23
dncegrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I feel bad for both your daughter and the teacher. So glad your daughter went to get help as not every kid would have done that. I am sure the teacher is very sorry and is embarrassed ( I know I would be). Glad it was a fire drill and not a real fire. This incident was a valuable lesson for all involved.
dncegrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #24
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm a teacher. I'm going to be really honest...within the realm of the superintendent's day, a kid getting left from a fire drill when the teacher apologized, and the parent was notified, probably isn't going to get any action. At least in our district, the super does not take parent phone calls. His secretary will forward you to the building principal, and the principal may or may not even say anything to the teacher, esp if the principal knows the teacher has already handled it.

In my classroom, a kid played a video on YouTube of Weird Al parodying Lady Gaga on my overhead projector. Totally inappropriate. The kid was running the computer for me while I was dealing with something else so the lesson could continue, and clicked on the wrong video. Guys in bras and panties showed up on my screen. The superintendent laughed when a parent complained because it was an honest mistake. Nothing happened to me because I was honest about it from day one, apologized, and it was not done on purpose.

The kid wasn't injured. This is the POINT of drills--to practice so if the real thing happens, they have the bugs worked out. The teacher was honest, and apologized. Do you really think firing her or suspending her without pay is going to make her feel any more guilty than she already is or that she will learn any more from the situation except that this particular child's parents are out for blood? Do you think she is going to be more careful just because someone put her professional career on the line? Don't think that the teacher who has your child next year won't know that you called the ed center and made a big stink. This will follow your child for the rest of their time at this school, and you will become the "crazy" family who causes problems for teachers.

We are all human and make mistakes.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #25
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieJack View Post
Wow. The superintendent? Heirarchical organizations like a school system generally don't take well to people skipping steps in the chain of command. As Kristen said, it is unlikely that the superintendent is going to address this directly and her secretary will most likely send you back to the school level and suggest that you start there - with the teacher's immediate supervisor. Making a big stink at that level will do nothing more than get you branded as a troublemaking parent which, right or wrong, will follow your children throughout their school careers. A mistake in a drill that was owned up to and dealt with isn't superintendent material. Save your ire and pitchforks for something that might actually require the superintendent's attention. If you really feel it's necessary to make a stink, I would go to the preschool teacher's director and calmly ask what steps are being taken to ensure that sometihng like this doesn't happen again. Approaching from a solution standpoint rather than a punitive standpoint will get a lot more results - and really, hopefully what you want is to prevent future problems and not just to punish the teacher for a mistake.

When my kids were in preschool, I had a good rapport with the Director. I personally probably would have casually asked the Director the next time I saw her what steps they were taking to correct the situation. But, I wouldn't request a meeting or otherwise turn it into an inquisition. I would be curious why it wasn't noticed as soon as they got outside - our teachers do a headcount once outside. I don't know what their procedure is if the count is off - is a teacher expected to go back into a burning building to find a student or are they supposed to tell the fire department, etc.?

This child was never in any actual danger. (I do feel very sad for the child because I imagine that it was scary - but not actually dangerous). The entire reason that fire drills are held is to perfect the evacuation process and to make sure that students and teachers are all able to get out safely in a real fire. Better to have any mistakes or problems brought out in a drill where no one is in danger rather than during an actual emergency.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #26
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read through all of this, but wanted to share that this very thing happened to me when I was in Kindergarten. For whatever reason I have vivid memories of coming out of the bathroom to find that everyone was gone. it was weird. I was not scared at all or damaged emotionally in any way- i was seriously just wondering where everyone went. I think they came to get me pretty soon after...(don't they have to do a head count?)

I personally wouldn't worry about it too much, unless my child was really upset by it or was in danger, or left for a very long time.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #27
Lovely Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
If the teacher told you, and apologized, I'd let it drop. What else can she do? She said she was sorry, and I'll bet that she will be super careful from now on, as I'm sure she learned her lesson.
I'm sure she's beating herself up enough too... teachers go into that field because they love kids. I would b upset but I'd let it go too...
Old 05-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #28
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would drop it... sort of.

The teacher probably feels super bad about it already. Drills are for learning. Yes, if it had been real then it would have been awful (duh). But it wasn't. And now they can learn from what happened.

I'd feel better knowing I heard it from the teacher and it wasn't being hidden from me. I would still address it, and just let the teacher know that you do plan on talking to the principal about it (at least that is who I would go to)... not to get her in trouble, but because you think it's a very important lesson that EVERYONE in the school can learn from. They can make sure a reminder is sent out to all school personnel to remember to check bathrooms (as well as coatrooms, any other small areas, etc.) before exiting the school. This might be a good thing in disguise.

I don't think the teacher needs to get into trouble for it, especially if she already feels bad. A lot is going on during a drill... and I bet because of this mishap, she will NEVER forget to check a bathroom ever again.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #29
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
If the teacher told you, and apologized, I'd let it drop. What else can she do? She said she was sorry, and I'll bet that she will be super careful from now on, as I'm sure she learned her lesson.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #30
elysian
Registered Users
seller

Thanks so much for everyone's input & advice. I know that the teacher feels bad. My daughter is not making a big deal out of it, and I don't think that making a fuss will help anything. I've talked to her about the fact that she did the right think by finding help. I would think that her teacher will definitely be aware of what she needs to do during the next drill! I also thought about what it would be like to be in her shoes, & I'm sure she feels bad enough already. I'll talk to her in private & make sure she understands that I'm not mad, just concerned.
elysian is offline   Reply With Quote