Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Do you sell on Etsy?

Pretty straight forward question here. Do you sell your goods on etsy? If so how do you like it? Is Etsy easy to use? Do you find you do good business? Is there a site you like better than etsy? I have so much crochet sitting around and it doesn't seem to be moving here on DS. I was considering listing on Etsy but wanted to get an idea of if it was worth my time.

Advertisement

iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
lilysmom2011
Registered Users
seller

I sell on etsy. For me, it took a while to build my clientele. For the first year or so, sales were minimal (I was also working 50 hours a week on top o etsy). Now I only work part time nights. I spend a couple of hours on the nights I don't work, working on etsy and I've noticed my sales are really starting to grow! It's great because you can make your own hours and put into it what you want. My kids go to bed around 7:30 or 8:00. Once they are in bed, I go to my sewing room and work for a few hours. I take pictures, respond to emails, put up listings at nap time. I don't do as well as I used to at my old job (accountant), but I do fairly well and I get to be home with my kids for the most part.
lilysmom2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
NatesMoms
Registered Users

Re: Do you sell on Etsy?

What timing! I was going to come on today and ask why people do NOT sell on Etsy. I'm finding it frustrating to be a buyer on both Etsy and forums (fora?), and I was talking with a friend of mine about building our own Etsy alternative for kid-related stuff. I have a good start on the buyer side of a system, but not really the seller side. If you could change Etsy to make it work for you, what would you change? What frustrates you as a seller? If you're frustrated as a buyer too, what bothers you? What would you change?
NatesMoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
pinkmomma26
Registered Users

My brother's girlfriend has an ETSY shop and she does great business. I, personally, love shopping on Etsy, but honestly, sometimes I peruse to see what I can make myself. I'm an idea stealer!! Her shop is called The Tragic Whale
pinkmomma26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
motherhen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I sell on Etsy, and they have recently made great improvements. I would recommend using them. One thing I don't like as a seller is that the listings expire after only four months and you can't list more than two variations per item. I make diapers and other baby items. I have to list every color separately. On the bright side, you don't owe more than the listing fee if it doesn't sell!
motherhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
aeskew
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been contemplating opening an etsy store also. But my problem is I work full time and don't know if I would I have the time to keep my store stocked but have been toying with opening a facebook store and then possibly moving on to an etsy shop!
aeskew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
Mom2Thr33
Registered Users
seller

I'm following this thread. I just opened shop and I haven't sold anything yet but I get that it's still new and other than FB I really haven't gotten the word out yet.

I think getting around the site is pretty easy. The hard part is setting a price for your items that are fair but not so inexpensive that you are doing it for nothing.
Mom2Thr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Funky Birdie Boutique
Registered Users
Formerly: chefwendybird
seller

My Mood:

I have been seriously considering moving toward Etsy... Loving hearing the opinions here!!!

Baltic amber teething & healing jewelry
Come join us:
20% OFF FOR DS MAMAS ONLY, LIMITED TIME SPECIAL!!!!
Funky Birdie Boutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
247mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesMoms View Post
What timing! I was going to come on today and ask why people do NOT sell on Etsy. I'm finding it frustrating to be a buyer on both Etsy and forums (fora?), and I was talking with a friend of mine about building our own Etsy alternative for kid-related stuff. I have a good start on the buyer side of a system, but not really the seller side. If you could change Etsy to make it work for you, what would you change? What frustrates you as a seller? If you're frustrated as a buyer too, what bothers you? What would you change?
I make cloth diaper/mama cloth and related items, and have been doing pretty well selling them just by WOM to friends and family, I just opened a WHAM shop here on DS (no sales yet though)...I was considering opening an Etsy store, but I felt so "unprofessional" that I changed my mind- why would people buy from me when there are other sellers who have better photos actual labels and neat logos- if I had those things, I think my items would be more sell-able!
247mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
Mheagan
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just opened an ETSY shop, but am wondering some of the same things as you ladies here. I work full time and with two kids any diapers I make are kind of for "fun". I was hoping to maybe bring in a little extra money but am not sure that is the place to pursue, or If I would do better here (for example).

247mom- That's kind of the way I feel too. I actually joined a facebook group for wahm testers and sent out aprox 10 diapers. So far, GREAT reviews! Sounds like you have lots of feedback, I bet you would do great!