View Poll Results: would you buy this?
yes, but I wouldn't spend much money on it. 0 0%
yes, and I would pay as much as i would for any other diaper. I 2 40.00%
maybe, depending on price and options 3 60.00%
no. sorry. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
makinhomesweet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
wahm question

What do you all love about your wahm wear?, What don't you like? What do you expect from wahm wears? Do you expect their stuff to be cheaper? Cuter? Better quality? More unique? And do you expect them to be as perfect as name brand? I am asking because I have been making my own diapers, nursing covers and lots more lately and people keep telling me I should sell my stuff, but i look at them and see little imperfections and think that they won't sell or that they would sell so cheap that it wouldn't be worth my time. What do you think?

Advertisement

makinhomesweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
giraffasaurus0903
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I definitely prefer wahm made items.

I expect quality, but not perfection. The little 'mistakes' make the item special.

I, personally, am glad to pay a bit extra for something handmade.

You are putting time and love into the item. That care has value, at least IMO

Last edited by giraffasaurus0903; 09-17-2013 at 09:25 PM.
giraffasaurus0903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
SewGreenBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: Naturally Pampered
seller
seller

My Mood:
I notice every slightly crooked stitch that I make. It's glaringly obvious to me and I never feel like it's as good as store bought or even other wahm stuff. But if I look really closely, I'm bound to find imperfections in store bought stuff too.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
SewGreenBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
giraffasaurus0903
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
You don't see the errors in others because you don't study it as hard as your own.

You want your work to be perfect.

I bet no one else notices the crocked stitches until you point them out.
giraffasaurus0903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
Reuben Christopher
Registered Users
Formerly: unbreakableangel
seller

My Mood:
Re: wahm question

I love buying from (and trading wares with) wahms. I feel like I am supporting a family and a small business not just sending more money into big companies pockets. When people purchase from me I am able to get my kids shoes and birthday presents. It's not paying for my third house or my yacht, ya know? Quality is usually pretty great. I do take into account that these are people making things in their homes and I have had a couple of awful experiences and I still don't understand how some wahm's are in business but I really do try to remember that it's a person with a family on the other end of the transaction. I expect to pay more for something that 1 person takes the time to create for me vs. picking up something that was made with probably millions of others just like it in a factory somewhere where they pay the workers less than min wage (and in a lot of cases not even enough to eat off of).
ISO/IHA!
Reuben Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben Christopher View Post
I love buying from (and trading wares with) wahms. I feel like I am supporting a family and a small business not just sending more money into big companies pockets. When people purchase from me I am able to get my kids shoes and birthday presents. It's not paying for my third house or my yacht, ya know? Quality is usually pretty great. I do take into account that these are people making things in their homes and I have had a couple of awful experiences and I still don't understand how some wahm's are in business but I really do try to remember that it's a person with a family on the other end of the transaction. I expect to pay more for something that 1 person takes the time to create for me vs. picking up something that was made with probably millions of others just like it in a factory somewhere where they pay the workers less than min wage (and in a lot of cases not even enough to eat off of).
This sums up my feelings accurately. I don't expect perfection, but I still think the items should be well-made and perform as expected. I like that WAHM items can be customized, are more unique, and often offer a better fit (I'm specifically thinking of pants that go over cloth diapers). I like supporting a mom who home with her kids.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:55 AM   #7
Bump2b
Registered Users
seller

Usually the stuff I buy from WAHMs is customized or it is something of higher quality. Generally something that I can't/won't make myself or that I don't have the time to make. I don't think it is of a lesser quality than store bought items, otherwise I wouldn't buy it! I would be disappointed if there were lots of imperfections, etc. however I think if you made something to sell you would perfect it-take the extra time to make sure seams are well made, etc. practice makes perfect! If it is well made then you can charge more.....

I don't expect super fantastic service but if it is there then you can be sure I'll be more likely to come back. In the end the WAHMs I buy off again and again are the ones who produce a quality product in a reasonable time frame (I don't mind if you have a 3 week or a 3 month wait list as long as I know this BEFORE I order).
Bump2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:23 AM   #8
makinhomesweet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for your input and your honest opinions. I might post pictures later (if I can figure out how from my phone) but either way I appreciate your responses. I might consider selling My stuff at some point. It is all functional and cute but i have some issues with my sewing machineand wouldn't want to sell anything but my best.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
makinhomesweet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is a picture of my latest creation. I'm going to try it on my newborn tonight to see if it is truly one size. What do you all think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00565.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	153592   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00563.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	153593   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00564.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	153594  
Old 09-19-2013, 04:42 AM   #10
makinhomesweet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

These are pictures of the diaper on my newborn. it fits my 9lb baby as well as it fits my 38lb toddler, so I'm happy with it. But I don't care for the tabs. I think they away from the cuteness of the . A What do you think of it?