Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: In a turn of the century farmhouse with my 2 favorite people!
Q about boosters vs ff carseats

A family member who has been against RF has gone and bought a carseat for their car for when dd visits. She told me that the carseat she bought only FF's. I'm concerned she may have bought a 5 pt harness booster seat, in which case, my almost 30 lbs 3 yr old cannot use it. What should I look for when I see the seat to be sure it is in fact a carseat vs booster seat? In Maine she can't be in a booster till 40 lbs but I see that there are many 5 pt harness boosters now so I just want to be sure that's not what this family member bought.

And if it is a 5 pt harness booster, how does it differ in safety from a 5 pt harness carseat?

Thank you

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Kmomto2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Q about boosters vs ff carseats

I believe by booster seat they mean a belt positioning booster, something that would use the car's 3 pt seat belt. A ff 5pt harness to booster is something that would be used with a harness and as the child grows would convert to a booster. From what I understand there is no difference between a ff convertible seat and a 5pt harness booster using the harness for the child.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
There are combination seats that have 5pt harnesses and then booster when the harness is outgrown. This may be what you mean.

I would think as long as she hasn't outgrown the harness (slots are above the shoulders and she is within the weight limit for the HARNESS- check because it may be different for the booster mode) then she can use it. Obviously, I would make sure it's installed correctly and used correctly.

Of course, this is all assuming you are okay with her ff periodically (if she is rf in your car). If your not, then say 'thank you but she is still rf' for now.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you both! I'm going to ask DH to go over and install it and look at the box as well, because she emailed me and said that the seat is the right one for dd's height and weight but I don't know how would she know dd's height and weight unless she measured/weighed her last time she was there. Since dd is almost 3 I don't mind if she is ff now and then especially since she doesn't see this relative often.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
skyericsson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can you ask her the name of the seat she purchased, Lets say for example it's a britax frontier which is a ff only harness to booster seat... then your LO would fit the seat using the harness ff because the spec is 2yrs old and 25 lbs (i think) but not using it as a 3pt seat belt booster I'm assuming you are you rfing now and don't want lo to ff yet? Also there are other ff harness to booster seats out there like the graco nautalis and recaro (prosport)

As pp said from what I understand there is no difference between a ff convertible seat and a 5pt harness booster using the harness for the child.

I think I would just come right out and ask what seat make model she purchased then we would know.
cosleeping, conservative yet extra crispycrunchy wife to my loving DH and sahm of our gorgeous princess sophia9/03 and cutie pie prince sven 8/07 and our beautiful sweet rainbow preemie born at 30 weeks Sång (pronounced "song")

Last edited by skyericsson; 05-11-2012 at 01:48 PM.
skyericsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
epiclesis
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, you just need to find out what it is first.
epiclesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'll try to find out tomorrow and will update then. Thank you for the information so far.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If she called it a booster, I'd be willing to bet it's a Cosco Highback Booster, which is, in fact, a harnessed seat. If it is, then it has pretty short top slots, so be sure they are at or above her shoulders before she rides.

Many people use the term "harnessed booster" and I think it causes confusion. A true belt-positioning booster is a seat without a harness that positions the seatbelt correctly on the child.

If it has a harness, no matter what the box says, it's a harnessed seat and a harnessed FF seat is a harnessed FF seat in terms of safety.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess71903 View Post
If she called it a booster, I'd be willing to bet it's a Cosco Highback Booster, which is, in fact, a harnessed seat. If it is, then it has pretty short top slots, so be sure they are at or above her shoulders before she rides.

Many people use the term "harnessed booster" and I think it causes confusion. A true belt-positioning booster is a seat without a harness that positions the seatbelt correctly on the child.

If it has a harness, no matter what the box says, it's a harnessed seat and a harnessed FF seat is a harnessed FF seat in terms of safety.
Oh good. I'll find out for sure over the weekend but this is exactly the type of information I was wondering about. And thanks for the info about the top slots. DD has a super long torso so this is something that is important for me to remember to look at and a reminder for me to check our own carseat to see if it needs adjusting.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess71903 View Post

I would give it 90% odds on being a Cosco Highback Booster.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote