Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Q about boosters vs ff carseats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post

I would give it 90% odds on being a Cosco Highback Booster.
I was thinking the same thing when I read it the first time. Top slots are pretty low, so the harness will be outgrown early. It is a pretty cheap (relatively speaking) seat at Walmart.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: In a turn of the century farmhouse with my 2 favorite people!

Okay ladies, I saw it today. It's the Evenflo Chase: http://www.evenflo.com/product.aspx?id=12&pfid=4288

It's got a 5 pt harness for 22-40 lbs and I had dd sit in it (not installed in car yet) and she's at the middle shoulder slot so there's only one more slot after this. DD hovers around the 29-30 lb mark right now so size/weight, I think it will be a good fit.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Before the Maestro came out, the Chase was often recommended for light-weight kids for a budget seat. I think it will be fine.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh great, thank you. I feel much better now. I looked read up on it when I got home from her house this afternoon and I do feel confident that it isn't "just" a booster, which is what I had been envisioning. Thanks everyone for all your help!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
Madeline's Mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by divabeadz View Post
Oh great, thank you. I feel much better now. I looked read up on it when I got home from her house this afternoon and I do feel confident that it isn't "just" a booster, which is what I had been envisioning. Thanks everyone for all your help!
It is a good seat, you just don't hear about it as much because the harness only goes to 40 pounds, I am acually toying with the idea of buying one as a backup/travel seat for my 27lb 4yo, since it comes in dino print.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #16
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline's Mommy View Post
It is a good seat, you just don't hear about it as much because the harness only goes to 40 pounds, I am acually toying with the idea of buying one as a backup/travel seat for my 27lb 4yo, since it comes in dino print.
Oh good, may I ask what weight would be preferable to be harnessed until?

27 lb 4 yo....I bet you have trouble clothes shopping! I have trouble finding stuff to fit my 30 lb almost 3 yo...if it fits in the waist, it's too short, if it fits in length it's giant at the waist...lol.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #17
Madeline's Mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by divabeadz View Post
Oh good, may I ask what weight would be preferable to be harnessed until?

27 lb 4 yo....I bet you have trouble clothes shopping! I have trouble finding stuff to fit my 30 lb almost 3 yo...if it fits in the waist, it's too short, if it fits in length it's giant at the waist...lol.
We have the same problem, I can only buy adjustable waist pants for him, but he is short too, so it's not too bad.
We usually say harness to at least 40 pounds, but you also don't want to use a booster until they are responsible enough to stay in position 100% of every ride. Most kids are not able to be responsible for their own safety until they are at least 5-6, for my son maturity will come long before appropriate weight I am sure so he will never need seats with higher weight limits, most kids on the other hand will reach 40 pounds long before they are ready for a booster, hence the need for higher weight harness seats.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #18
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline's Mommy View Post
We have the same problem, I can only buy adjustable waist pants for him, but he is short too, so it's not too bad.
We usually say harness to at least 40 pounds, but you also don't want to use a booster until they are responsible enough to stay in position 100% of every ride. Most kids are not able to be responsible for their own safety until they are at least 5-6, for my son maturity will come long before appropriate weight I am sure so he will never need seats with higher weight limits, most kids on the other hand will reach 40 pounds long before they are ready for a booster, hence the need for higher weight harness seats.
I'm rejuvenating this old post because my dd has chunked up a bit and I fear she will reach the 40 lb limit sooner than later. She's 38 lbs now and will turn 4 in June. I would absolutely say she is not ready for a 3 pt harness. I imagine with that sort of "freedom" she will constantly be trying to escape the car seat. Does this mean she will need another carseat with a higher weight limit for the 5 pt harness? Thank you all for your help. I just want to know she is safe and don't trust that I'm knowledgable enough on this topic!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #19
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She's fine in that seat as long as she is under the top slots, and under 40lbs, fully clothed and with a full belly. At 38lbs, I'd be shopping for another harness. Wal-mart now has the Harmony Defender, which has tall top slots and a 65lb harness weight limit, then turns into a highback, then backless booster. I LOVE Harmony seats and was really impressed with this one when I played with it this week.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #20
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oooh, thank you. I will check that one out!