Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Fussy Eater

My DD is a week old and we started her on Enfamil Gentlease at 3 days. She seemed good with it and her poop is normal and almost looks like EBF poop (yellow and seedy), just a little pastier. However, she gets really fussy with in the afternoon and evening. She'll drink about 4 ounces over an hour and between stopping to burp she'll just fuss. She never really spits up, but I can tell a bit of milk comes back up since I can see bit of milk in her mouth. There will be at least one feeding that will take 2 hours and will total to around 7 ounces. The only time she isn't fussy is in the morning when she only drinks a couple ounces.

I don't recall DS ever doing this, but we used Similac Sensitive with him. I'd use that with DD, but WIC doesn't provide it.

Should we switch to something else or is this normal? The 7 ounces seems a bit excessive to me...but she was a voracious nurser when we were BFing.

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
stacym918
Registered Users

Re: Fussy Eater

maybe try a different bottle. 2 hours seems a long time to feed, and 7 ounces seems like a lot also.
if that doesn't help, I'd put her on similac sensitive.
also, are you feeding her every 2-3 hours? she's only a week old, maybe she is overtired or eating too much?
stacym918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
lilmomma83
Registered Users

7oz sounds like a whole lot. Sounds like silent reflux to me...baby doesn't fully spit up..instead they spit up and swallow back down so it is actually worse on them. She might also want to drink more if he is in pain and thinks the formula will make her feel better?? Or maybe she is fussy/crying from the reflux but you just think she is hungry?
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmomma83 View Post
7oz sounds like a whole lot. Sounds like silent reflux to me...baby doesn't fully spit up..instead they spit up and swallow back down so it is actually worse on them. She might also want to drink more if he is in pain and thinks the formula will make her feel better?? Or maybe she is fussy/crying from the reflux but you just think she is hungry?
Yes!! I think that's what it is. We switched to Alimentum after trying Similac Sensitive, she was worse with similac sensitive. She hasn't been cluster feeding with Alimentum, but the silent reflux sounds are a bit more prominent. We are working on getting her to take a paci and she has calmed down to only 2 ounces a feed today (the day we switched to Alimentum). But I don't know what to do for the silent reflux bit. She was so fussy earlier, but she also tried to eat more than 2 ounces. I think all the excess eating is her trying to comfort feed.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
lilmomma83
Registered Users

You can keep upright more, especially the first 45 mins after feeding. Small frequent feeds should help. You will probably need to start her on reflux meds though...my DD takes prescription zantac which helped a lot for about a month but I think age is used to it now so i'm going to ask the pediatrician about switching to something maybe prilosec..
Old 05-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when feeding her. We've been using Alimentum for almost 24 hours and there is already a huge positive difference in her, she's so much more calm and all. The silent reflux seems to have calmed down as well. I'm still bringing her to the pediatrician on Monday.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Yay for good news! My DD is in hypoallergenic as well :-)
Old 05-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
JennyAnneC
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmomma83
You can keep upright more, especially the first 45 mins after feeding. Small frequent feeds should help. You will probably need to start her on reflux meds though...my DD takes prescription zantac which helped a lot for about a month but I think age is used to it now so i'm going to ask the pediatrician about switching to something maybe prilosec..
My ds3 is on pepcid and the dose is based on weight. When I notice the reflux bothering him again we go in to the pedi, he is weighed and the dose is upped. Also some of those meds lose their potency within a month. Zantac didn't work for my ds1 so she switched him to prevacid and it worked great.
JennyAnneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
JennyAnneC
Registered Users

Propping up one side of the mattress really helped too but only works until they start rolling around.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
JennyAnneC
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueone
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when feeding her. We've been using Alimentum for almost 24 hours and there is already a huge positive difference in her, she's so much more calm and all. The silent reflux seems to have calmed down as well. I'm still bringing her to the pediatrician on Monday.
Could possibly be milk soy protein intolerance. Something to ask your pedi about. My ds3 had it, I thought it was reflux and a bit of colic. Alimentum made him a much happier baby. He still took a mild reflux med.