Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:
Red face Considering selling our "fancy" diapers for all flats! Talk me in/out of it!

Considering selling my stash of 48 AIOs (BGEs and Grovias) for all flats and Flips. The money from selling would be nice to have right now, but I'm afraid I'll regret it. CDing right now is only *maybe* breaking even for us since our well pump is really expensive to run although we do use cloth for other reasons. Anyone else gone from fancy diapers to flats and not regretted it? I really love out stash...but I'm very tempted!

See post #14 - small update.

Advertisement

Last edited by FernHollow; 05-12-2012 at 12:33 PM.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Skybaby712
Registered Users
seller

I have been toying with the idea about going from my fitteds to mostly pfs and flats for about a month or so now. Pfs are so simple and dry faster than most of my fitteds, while you know how fast flats dry. What I'm doing is using my pfs and flats more and more, and when I stop using my fitteds maybe I'll sell most of them. I'm too chicken to do a complete destash and revamp at one time.

You nailed all the pros and cons! I forgot her username, but at least one mom on here only uses only padfolded flats and flips and loves it because of the very uncomplicated wash routine. Maybe you could do what I'm doing and start using your wanna-be-future stash for a few weeks and see how that goes before selling your AIOs? If you can do without them, then definitely go for it!!
Old 05-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Considering selling our "fancy" diapers for all flats! Talk me in/out of it!

I thought about that - but I can't afford to buy anything unless I destash some. I don't want to destash unless I know I'm destashing everything. I toyed with the idea of keeping maybe just a dozen BGEs for the diaper bag or something, but that would really complicate the advantages of washing the flats. I actually used only flats/Flips and wool soakers on my 4yo when he was in diapers, so I know I can do it. I just had grown to really like easy lol.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
mamasab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Considering selling our "fancy" diapers for all flats! Talk me in/out of it!

For 3 months I have used only flats and thirsties duo covers. I LOVE my flats. We've had rash problems and it breaks my heart to think I may need to get him something else with stay dry....just looking at the price of diapers now just kills me! I love the versatility and cost of flats, the fact that my wash routine never has to be complicated, and that if I ever get bored I can just change the way I fold! In my opinion, flats are hugely under-rated. I say go for it!
mamasab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
yaylucy
Registered Users
seller

Location: I live in Arlington, Texas, but travel for work. Currently located in Morgantown WV
My Mood:

You might get more money if you destash in small amounts - try getting rid of 5 each of your AIO's and fund some flats & prefolds. I'm sure you could buy a good amount.
I've noticed it's easier to make money if you sell in smaller amounts - when you sell in bulk you have to highly discount...

Once you try the flats and prefolds, if you still like them you can slowly destash as you up your pf & flats. If you don't like them then keep the rest of your AIO's (with selling 10, you'll still have almost 40!)
Old 05-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I did it! And I have never been happier with my stash.

I have all flats and Flips, plus one Capri and and three old wool soakers.

I put all of my pockets and such in a tote, and they have been there for six months. I haven't missed them at all, and I will never go back to synthetic fibers after having such an easy wash routine.

I wash once and rinse one. And, I use fabric softener. It doesn't get any better!
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
southernbelle04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Get rid of my BGE's? Never!

I understand the temptation for something simple, though.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle04 View Post
Get rid of my BGE's? Never!

I understand the temptation for something simple, though.
Honestly I find our BGEs to be "simple" for us. It is mostly a financially based decision. I could sell some of our AIOs and have a smaller stash for the boys, but then I'd have to wash more frequently and that savings would quickly be eaten up by washing costs. I am so annoyed to realize how high the costs are here to do laundry I'm literally just maybe breaking even with washing 2-3x week. If I lower my stash numbers I'd end up spending more on cloth than disposables. I love cloth for other reasons, but I'm not in a financial spot to make that choice. Hence the thought that flats and Flips would be a good compromise...
Old 05-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
yaylucy
Registered Users
seller

Location: I live in Arlington, Texas, but travel for work. Currently located in Morgantown WV
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernHollow View Post
Honestly I find our BGEs to be "simple" for us. It is mostly a financially based decision. I could sell some of our AIOs and have a smaller stash for the boys, but then I'd have to wash more frequently and that savings would quickly be eaten up by washing costs. I am so annoyed to realize how high the costs are here to do laundry I'm literally just maybe breaking even with washing 2-3x week. If I lower my stash numbers I'd end up spending more on cloth than disposables. I love cloth for other reasons, but I'm not in a financial spot to make that choice. Hence the thought that flats and Flips would be a good compromise...
Yes I could see why flats and flips would be a good compromise in your situation. Is there any way you could maybe try and do a trade?
Could you make your own flats?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
SadiesMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love flats w/ flips!!!!! So soft, natural fibers, easy to clean, easy to dry, easy to add more absorbency if you you need it. Only thing is you need to love to fold laundry... which I do!