Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Vegan Princess
Registered Users
seller

Should I be concerned about my cervix length???

I had a leep about 13 years ago. I had no issues with my last pregnancy. I delivered at 38 weeks. I only had 1 u/s that pregnancy. It was done at 16 weeks, instead of 20, to check my cervix length early enough. It was 3.4cm. Never checked again.

I am 19 weeks pregnant now. I had my OB measure my cervix at 11 weeks and it was 3.7cm. I just had my anatomy scan yesterday and it measured 3.1cm. I know 3.1 is still considered normal - but I am a bit alarmed that it shrunk from 3.7 to 3.1 in 8 weeks!

I haven't had a chance to discuss with my OB. She just said everything looked fine - but I don't think she necessarily looked back at my chart and saw how much it had shrunk. Should I be having her regularly monitor my cervix length? Or is it normal to have shrunk that much by this point?? I am supposed to be switching my care to a homebirth midwife now and was not planning on doing more ultrasounds. But I will def still with my OB too and request them if I should be!

I'm just a bit freaked out and hoping someone can fill me in since I know my doc won't get back to me before next week.

Thanks!
Cindy

Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
nikkibreeze
Registered Users
seller

Re: Should I be concerned about my cervix length???

Sounds like you are doing fine. My cervix and babies do not get along and I would LOVE to be above 3cm. Mine gets checked every week via an oh so fun internal u/s and the length varies up to a 1/2cm in a week. If you have any warning signs of early labor obviously heed them, but it sounds like you are doing good.
nikkibreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
Vegan Princess
Registered Users
seller

At what point did they start monitoring you? My doc assures me that I am normal and that she will monitor if need be. But how will know if need be if she doesn't plan to monitor at all??? That is what freaks me out. Wouldn't it be too late if there are already warning signs? I suppose I will try to put it out of my head for now though and bring it back up at my next appt, which isn't for almost a month.

Cindy
Old 05-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would think that there is a margin of error in those measurements, and maybe that is why the doctor isn't worried?
Old 05-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
FWIW, I had a LEEP in 2004 and they only monitored my cervical length during my first pregnancy, I'm pregnant with my third right now.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Vegan Princess
Registered Users
seller

Rosefall: Yeah, most midwives I've spoken to about it when I was interviewing them said I had a proven cervix and it wasn't a concern to them anymore. But I'd rather be safe than sorry.

That said, I called my midwife and ran it by her today. She wasn't concerned either. And she said cervixes are stretchier and more elastic w/2nd babies and that it isn't uncommon for 2nd time moms to be almost completely effaced by 36 weeks and stay that way until baby comes.

Cindy