Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Need childcare for birth.. no family close. WWYD?

I have three boys, ages 7, 4 1/2 and 2. We have no family here.

So what do we do for child care for the hours we'll be at the birth center having this little girl?

I have a friend I'll call, and she would LOVE to watch my boys (she loves them, they love her, her daughter and my boys love each other), but she might not be available.. like if she has to work, or is at work rand can't leave.

So now I'm thinking about hiring a mature teenager from our home-school group to come to the birth center and watch my boys in the living/waiting room while I'm in the birth room. I'd pay a flat $40 or $50 for the her time.

I'm also thinking about asking the neighbor across the hall to watch them They have three boys too... and she'd probably say yes.. but while we're friendly and her oldest son plays with my two older boys.... I don't know them all that well, and am not sure about her watching them.

Or do you have any other suggestions?

It wasn't this hard before, cause family was around.

What to do?

God bless!

Advertisement

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
isaacsmum
Registered Users

Re: Need childcare for birth.. no family close. WWYD?

I think I'd try to have a few people waiting on calls from you. Maybe your friend first and a teenager or two if you need to make the call for childcare help while she's at work. Being an "on-call" sitter for a few hours is probably a great job for a teenager. Check to see that your birth center is okay with her being there with your kids first though.

If you have maybe 3 or 4 options in place, you should be fine no matter what happens. I would probably pay the babysitter a flat fee whether or not you end up needing her if you have her agreeing to drop everything when you're ready to head to the birth center, if that makes sense.

This is pretty much the plan we had in place when DD was due last September. In the end, we didn't need any of our sitters we'd lined up because my mom came in from about 10hrs away and took my son to spend the week with her.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
ServingHim
Registered Users
seller

We just brought the kids to the birthcenter and packed bags for each with crayons, coloring books, books, toys, movies, snacks. I ended up having the baby in the wee hours of the morning so they just slept in one of the rooms. But our plan was to have them in a different room and my husband would check on them from time to time.
I have fast labors though (generally 3 hrs) so it wasn't a lot of time to keep them occupied.
This time even my husband might not be home (we are planning a homebirth) but my oldest is 10 and really good at keeping the younger ones occupied. Plus I have hired a doula that has agreed to help with the kids when needed if my husband and mom aren't here. If all goes well both my mom and my husband will be in town though.
GL

Last edited by ServingHim; 05-13-2012 at 02:56 PM.
ServingHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't think my midwife would have a problem with my kids being at the birth center. I have a friend who will be on-call, and if she's not at work or can leave work she'll come. I spoke with a friend of two teenage daughters, and said she would talk to her girls. She said she was sure both of them would LOVE to help out, and would talk to them about it today.

So... it looks like I will have two people on call, and between the two of them we should be covered.

My mom is going to try to come down.. but she's not sure if she'll be able to be here for the birth, or if it'll be a few weeks after Bella is born.

So... that stress is off my shoulders, because now I feel like no matter what, we're covered. And if it's middle of the night, two out of three kids might go back to sleep on sofas or the bed in the other room. She (the midwife) has a play area set up, and we can pack activity bags for the kids too. And just keep them with my "go-bag."

Thanks ladies.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Old 05-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

we are taking our 2 yr old to the hospital with us. If this baby ends up being born at home, the 4 teens will probably be here as well.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
MarchMama2x
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was in the same situation when my 2 year old was born. I had a very good friend who was also a sahm who agreed to watch my son if I went into labor during the day. I asked our neighbor across the street (in her 50's, retired military, no job she needed to be at) if she would come over if it happened at night. Just so happened I started labor around 11 pm and we called her at midnight. She came over and slept in our guest room while our oldest stayed asleep. My labor was fast (baby born at 1:59 am) so my husband came home around 6 am to relieve her and my son never knew we were gone! It really worked out well for us.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
ServingHim
Registered Users
seller

Glad you have it figured out!
Old 05-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2x View Post
I was in the same situation when my 2 year old was born. I had a very good friend who was also a sahm who agreed to watch my son if I went into labor during the day. I asked our neighbor across the street (in her 50's, retired military, no job she needed to be at) if she would come over if it happened at night. Just so happened I started labor around 11 pm and we called her at midnight. She came over and slept in our guest room while our oldest stayed asleep. My labor was fast (baby born at 1:59 am) so my husband came home around 6 am to relieve her and my son never knew we were gone! It really worked out well for us.
Awesome. I wonder if I can think of anyone else to come to my house for a middle of the night thing...... Will have to rack my brain!

God bless!

Old 05-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Do you have a doula? This way if you end up going into labor in the middle of the night or very late then you can atleast have your doula for the early parts of labor while your husband goes back and forth between you and your kids. Then you can have someone come during early morning/daytime hours to relieve him and so he wont miss your baby girls birth. Ofcourse, if you have a history of really fast labor then this wont apply. A good friend of mine is my doula, so she isn't charging, but if she wasn't I would be using a student doula who usually does her first 10 or so births for free to get her experience. Just putting that out there because adding an extra expense to the whole thing is more stressful sometimes. Good luck, I'm sure it will all work out in the end. Either way, baby is coming when she's ready!
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote