Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Questions for Mamas who've had c-sections

Maybe TMI....

The actual c-section went fine, I did throw up right before the surgery but they said it was because my blood pressure dropped. The gave me medication for that and the nausea quickly went away. Before the c-section I did have several bowel movements that increased in looseness to almost diarrhea right before the procedure. I thought it was probably a combination of the cervidil we had been trying to induce me and my IBS. I had been gasy since the surgery and passing some gas, which is normal I know after a surgery.
Friday evening I was talking to DH about finances (which are very bad right now.) Me being off from work does not help right now since I am the main income. I became distraught and started sobbing which led to me vomiting. I already had started having loose stools again prior to the vomiting. Stress and high emotions can jack with my IBS so I though maybe that is what is wrong. I also felt hot and cold, no fever though, and just very very weak afterwards.
The next morning I felt decent I got more sleep and was starving. I ordered some cereal and a banana. The milk did not taste good to me (rarely does) but I tried to eat something. I ate half of the banana and some crackers also. I started feeling sick again and went to the bathroom several times, thankfully no vomiting. The Baby Blues set in full force and I worried about how it would effect us going home and breastfeeding. I started feeling better after awhile and we got to go home.
Last night was rough here.. DS1 was awake for 4 hours in the middle of the night. DH broke down and started smoking again and none of us got any good quality sleep until around 6am this morning. My back aches and I'm trying to keep the blues away. DH decided to buy donuts for mothers day and I foolishly ate one. My stomach didn't outright rebel but it reeled a little. almost 3 hours after eating it and nothing else just drank water... I start again with the loose stools. Out of no where I started gagging a bit go and almost threw up. I've been taking motrin off and on for pain and last night took a vicodin. We stopped the stool softeners because that really isn't an issues. I just read the side effects for motrin and vicodin and both include nausea and diarrhea. So, I'm not sure if that is part of the problem.
My big question has anyone else had anything similar to this happen after a c-section? i don't really know what to expect and the hospital was not really helpful when I was sick there. Just wanted to give me a shot which I refused. I asked for anti-gas meds instead. Just frustrated and worried. I'm trying to stay hydrated and have put myself on a bland/liquid diet for now.

Wife to DH (4-14-07) Mommy to DS T (10-22-09) and DS G (5-9-12) :ISO: (Everything boy or GN colors), AIO OS aplix diapers, wetbags. I love prints!!!
Spikettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Questions for Mamas who've had c-sections

I've had 3 c/s and have actually be constipated for about a week or so after each surgery...Hope you feel better soon!
Amy, wife to Harold, SAHM to Wilson (8/3/04), McKinley (10/13/07), Pierce (5/29/09), and Hayes (8/4/12)
aphlbrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Questions for Mamas who've had c-sections

I don't know But I do hope you start feeling better. It is no fun to not be able to enjoy your newbie.

I have never had a c-section, but I have had a few times since I had my baby where I have felt a little sick to my stomach, and had the hot and cold thing too. I was actually shaking last night from it. I have found that I really have to make sure and eat something every 2 hours and it really helps. Also, being engorged makes me feel sick while everything regulates.

Hope you start feeling better soon
SAHM to DD ('07) DS ('09) and DD2 ('12)
me_just_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
Registered Users
It could be a reaction to the anesthesia, I am sorry you are recovering with so much turmoil!! Keep hydrated and eat healthy, hoping for you things go better. I have had 3 cesareans and didn't experience those feelings like you are (no vomiting or loose stools) but I did have major baby blues. My depression was related to the disappointment from having to have the surgical birth and my vbac attempt going poorly.
Maria, wife to David and stay-at-home-mama to four children.
mariamommy is offline   Reply With Quote