Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Caroline162
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help - No milk for tomorrow

I am kind of freaking out...

Baby #4 just turned 7 months old (yesterday). I have never dealt with supply issues (other than oversupply early on). In fact, I've been bad because of it - things got very intense at work a few weeks ago, and I let myself pump less here and there, to the point that my freezer stash was pretty much gone. Supply was still fine though, and things slowed down at work the last couple of weeks. But I was just pumping what he was eating during the day and ahead a few bottles. So all fine. Well, I have been really sick this past week. Honestly, I was enjoying the loss of appetite because I am still about 20lbs heavier than I want to be, I didn't really think that much about my supply I mean, I ate when I was hungry, but I did notice that I wasn't hungry very often and looking back was probably only eating about 1200 calories a day. I just felt so crummy, was still working and taking care of all the kids, had a funeral in the middle of the week...basically just didn't really pay attention or give it much thought except "hey it's nice I'm not really wanting those cupcakes!" Well, baby was FUSSY by the end of the week. I found out at his pediatrician appointment (6 month check up) that he's only the 4th percentile for weight (15th for height). I kind of freaked out, because I've NEVER had a small baby before and he dropped from the 30th, but my pediatrician didn't seem really concerned. Well, yesterday and today it became clear to me that he's HUNGRY and my milk supple has tanked My boobs are at least a cup size smaller, never feel full, I can barely feel let down, suddenly don't need breastpads, etc. Yesterday he was really fussy and before bed he just kept grabbing my nipple between his gums and puuuuulling and then crying and signing "milk" He wouldn't sleep. So I finally gave him 2.5 ounces from the freezer - he sucked it down in like a minute and fell asleep. Today I upped his solids (he had some egg yolk for breakfast, butternut squash for lunch, avocado for dinner - before he was only eating solids 1-2 times a day). He started solids a month ago and was VERY eager - he's great at eating solids. But again before bed he was hungry and frustrated and fussy. He did not pee from when I put a diaper on his at 2pm until I put him in his nighttime diaper at 7pm (that has NEVER happened). I gave him another 2.5 ounces from the freezer and he was happy.

ALL that to say - I'm in trouble now. I only have 2.5 ounces left in the freezer!!! I ran all over town to try to find some Baby's Only formula, which is the formula I supplemented with with my 2 year old when I got pregnant and couldn't keep up my supply (so I guess I HAVE had supply issues before, but only when I was pregnant). Well they were out at Whole Foods and no one else carries it. The nice thing about that brand was it didn't change his poop or smell disgusting like other formula. I don't know what to do now... my options are

1. Go buy some regular formula
2. Have DH bring DS up to my office to nurse during the day (but then I can't pump for the following day... bringing him up every day isn't an option, and it's actually not a great option for tomorrow either because of our other kids, my work schedule, etc.)
3. Call a friend and bum some breastmilk from her freezer (hate to call this late though)
4. Make DS make do with just 2.5 ounces and solids tomorrow
5. Something else I'm not thinking of????

I have been nursing him pretty much nonstop all day. There is nothing there right now, I can tell, so trying to pump tonight isn't an option. He will wake up a few times at night to nurse too.

Advertisement

Caroline162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
isaacsmum
Registered Users

Re: Help - No milk for tomorrow

Go buy some regular formula and don't worry about it so much. Seriously, it isn't bad for him, it isn't the end of your nursing relationship with him. My freezer stash ran out for DD when I was traveling for work once. DH just picked up some Similac and mixed it with the remaining breastmilk. DD didn't seem to mind. When I got back in town, I just added an extra pumping session to build up the supply again. If your DH can bring the baby by for you to nurse during the day tomorrow, that's great - but like you said, it might not actually solve the problem. I'd say pick up some formula, find some extra pumping time this week, and remember that supplementing a couple bottles tomorrow (or longer) really is not something to be stressed about. Happy baby and happy family are the important things.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Caroline162
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the perspective.

Yeah, I stood at the "regular" formula aisle for a long time... if you could buy a teeny package I probably would have- I just couldn't bring myself to shell out $30 for something I was pretty opposed to. I might just have DH bring DS up to my office tomorrow, and then tomorrow deal with it. Ordered some Baby's Only from Amazon that will be here Tuesday evening, so I'll have it on hand if this happens again. I just need to get through the next two days.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Caroline162
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline162 View Post
Thanks for the perspective.

Yeah, I stood at the "regular" formula aisle for a long time... if you could buy a teeny package I probably would have- I just couldn't bring myself to shell out $30 for something I was pretty opposed to. I might just have DH bring DS up to my office tomorrow, and then tomorrow deal with it. Ordered some Baby's Only from Amazon that will be here Tuesday evening, so I'll have it on hand if this happens again. I just need to get through the next two days.
This coming from someone who has NO trouble buying a $30 diaper
Old 05-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I would trying calling or texting my friend (if we were very close) to see if I could have some milk for tomorrow.

Then, hopefully tomorrow you can track down some of the formula you are familiar with to have on hand. Or, buy it on Amazon and upgrade your shipping.

Fwiw, I worked a job where I couldn't pump when ds was 7m old. He just reversed cycled, and that was great with me. He would stay latched on all night while we slept and just do some solids at the sitters during the day. He is totally healthy, never seemed hungry.

Since pumping is such a pita (I never could respond to the pump, even a hospital grade one) would you be okay with encouraging reverse cycling? Do you guys co sleep already? Can you sleep with him nursing?
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

We were posting at the same time. Isn't Amazon great?
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
isaacsmum
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline162 View Post
This coming from someone who has NO trouble buying a $30 diaper
Funny, isn't it? I remember when my freezer stash ran out, DH calling me from the grocery store to complain about how absurdly expensive the formula was. Asked me if I was sure I couldn't catch an earlier flight home. I told him that would probably cost more than the formula.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
Caroline162
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
We were posting at the same time. Isn't Amazon great?
YES I already have Amazon Prime so it only cost $3.99 to do overnight shipping. But because it's Sunday, I still won't get it until Tuesday.

And yes, we do co-sleep and he nurses more at night than he would if we were together all day, I think. He nurses 2-3 times at night and only drinks about 6 ounces most days while I am away (for about 8 hours). I am tempted to go into work a little late and just try nursing him as much as I can before work, let him have 2.5 ounces and some solids (something filling like egg yolk) when he wakes up, and then see whether DH needs to bring him by when he picks DD up from school at 3. I am HOPING that my upping my calories and water a LOT (I have tonight!) and the fact that the poor baby has been latched on all day today, I will have a nice supply tomorrow and can pump to get ahead AND feed him tons tomorrow evening. But with him being so little, I feel uneasy about possibly making him go hungry.

It's almost 10pm now, and my friend lives across town, so I don't feel like I can call her now (she will probably be reading this tomorrow - hi T. )
Old 05-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

3. Call a friend and bum some breastmilk from her freezer (hate to call this late though) this is what i would do
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #10
lilmomma83
Registered Users

I know it isn't always easy to track down donor milk, but, I would if I could :-) That said all 3 of my babies have ended up needing formula and I never used organic...it's better than nothing!
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote