Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
Double A
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: I will need a planned CS but need advice.

I had a c-section with my twins. They went to the NICU for a short time. I was not consistantly pumping, so I never got a milk supply. I also agree with the others. Take the pain meds as scheduled. I did not want to take them, and the lactation consultant said the added pain may have also lessened my supply. Definately ask for the lactation consultant upon check in and as soon as you are allowed pump or nurse..if can't nurse right away, pump often! After 36hrs they let me go to the NICU to try and nurse, for you will have to be flat on your back almost that long after the spinal.

Advertisement

Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

I had a non emergency unplanned c section. I was able to nurse as soon as I was stitched up and in the recovery room. I didn't have any trouble as far as pain goes. I took whatever IV meds they gave me for the first 24 hours post op and then only took ibuprofen. I did not have staples, I heard that it is more painful. Maybe request no staples? I was pumping very couple hours because of some misunderstanding of doctor's orders and being allowed to remove my son from the lights for jaundice. It took my milk 3 days to come in.

Good luck on a safe delivery
Old 07-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #13
ivymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Number 3 is due in three weeks, planned CS due to complete previa and breech. First two were vaginal, second was super easy recovery. I've been freaking about recovery and how soon after delivery ill be able to bf with this one. I understand your worry and wish you the best!
ivymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #14
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Be very firm about the pump or maybe bring your own. I was denied a pump for days after dd was born so i never got a decent supply, never more than a few oz a day. I was hurt and alone and was complacent when i should have made a huge stink about it. It ruined any chance of supply though dd couldnt nurse, having no supply to tube/bottle feed was like kicking me while i was down.

Good luck to you and your baby!
Old 07-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #15
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you won't be able to nurse in the first dayish, I would manually express the colostrum rather than pump. I tried both ways when my DD2 was in the nicu for 20 hours and got MUCH better results with manual expression. When you are able to be with your baby, do as much skin to skin as possible unless you are nursing. It really gets the mothering hormones flowing (this was advice to me from the hospital LC who was wonderful).

I've never had luck with pumps and never liked them, but if you are not able to nurse your LO at all in the early days then some nipple stimulation could be beneficial.

As for the C, it didn't really affect nursing/milk production at all except that I could not lie down on my side. Any other position was fine. You might like a nursing pillow.

That's what I would suggest based on my C and nicu experience.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #16
TaraB
Registered Users
seller
seller

my first c section was an emergency after laboring 12 hours through the night. ds was rushed to the nicu for 2-3 hours I wasnt able to hold him until he was released from the nicu....I was a mess I thought I was delivering and then immediately going to nurse. I never thought to ask for a pump.

my second was a planned c section after baby #2 was overdue and refusing to be in a position to make vbac possible. I nursed immediately after birth maybe a 15 minute/20 minute delay (i needed to be stitched and baby was cleaned up. (not allowed to hold until I was stitched. He nursed for 1hr in the recovery it was bliss so quiet and peaceful nothing like my first. I asked for a pump in my room immediately because I have PCOS and my 1st milk supply was terrible. I really believe it helped me be more successful.

I think your ability to nurse right away will depend on the baby's condition. Start pumping immediately and frequently if you cant nurse. Store it freeze ask for it to be fed to the baby (ng tube or bottle) if baby cant nurse. Use fenugreek if your supply doesnt come in well. above all try to get tons of fluids and try to get rest. stress can impact supply. Take it easy. ask for help....sleep hold....nurse....heal let others do the house stuff.

my planned c sect was sooo much better than the emergency one.. I produced more milk I slept better healed better etc.

don't let anyone make you think that your birth experience wasnt as amazing as a person who vaginally delivered. embrace that baby....be proud of your story
Tara~Married to my wonderful DH and mama to my DS#1 4 years old and DS#2 2 years old
TaraB is offline   Reply With Quote