Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
momgoddess
Registered Users
seller

Unhappy What is wrong with me? So discouraged. :(

I was using MFP for months and not losing weight. I have always been health conscious regarding eating organic whole foods, staying away from chemicals and processed crap, etc. I watched the documentary Hungry For Change and became even more motivated to eat "clean". So, I was juicing and eating almost 100% organic, hardly any processed foods...I thought as long as I knew I was putting wholesome foods in my body there was no reason to count calories and over 3 months I GAINED 20 LBS. I couldn't believe it.

So, now I'm eating the same wholesome foods but less of them. I decided last week to join WW and try their point system instead of counting calories and using MFP because I felt like I was obsessing way too much over counting the calories etc...and maybe a point system with zero point fruits and veggies (yay!) would be better for me. So I followed it perfectly last week. I did not go over my points, but I did use all my "extra weekly points". I did not go crazy with fruit, at all. I ate only 1-2 pieces of fresh fruit or berries each day. I also moved quite a bit last week, logged about 6 miles of fast-pace walking (heart rate up) and did a lot of stair climbing with heavy loads and housework-type moving. In other words, I really didn't sit on my butt all week. I weighed in a week later and I lost ABSOLUTELY ZERO. (But at least I didn't gain!) I don't get it! I really don't. Why am I gaining weight, eating healthier than I ever have in my life...then when I restrict, I lose nothing! I'm feeling really discouraged.

I'm not giving up on WW, this week I'm eating right at my 26 points or UNDER, not going to eat any extra weekly points and I am doing 30 Day Shred in addition to my regular walking of 2 miles per day, 3 days a week or so and I'm not going to eat back any of my activity points...just to see what kind of results I can get that way.

My baby is going to turn 1 next month and I'm heavier right now than I was at 9 months pregnant and heavier than I've ever been in my life. I don't get it, because for the last 9 months or so, I've been trying and focused and totally obsessively TRYING to lose the baby weight and I've never eaten healthier or cleaner in my life but I JUST KEEP GAINING. Am I broken?

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do you use a scale and measuring cups to accurately count portions?

If you are comfortable if you give your weight, and your calorie goals from MFP maybe one of us can help you.

If I were you I would see a doctor to check thyroid and general health. Are you nursing?
Old 03-19-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
momgoddess
Registered Users
seller

Re: What is wrong with me? So discouraged. :(

I was about 150 lbs when I started MFP and I was doing 1200 calories. I wasn't losing weight. I'd lose like a lb here, then I'd gain 2 back. Nothing was consistent. I also was buying "diet" foods to accomplish my 1200 calories and I didn't like what I was eating, knew all that "low fat" processed crap was CRAP and I didn't like how it made me feel, so I stopped tracking calories and I started juicing and only eating whole, organic foods. If I ate bread, it was only sprouted bread, occasionally... no sugar or processed foods, etc... But as I was just eating whole foods and staying away from chemicals, processing, GMOs etc....I gained 21 lbs. I'm now 171 and I was eating better than I ever have in my life. I cook only with coconut oil, use raw honey or grade B maple syrup if I need to sweeten something (but in moderation and seldom). I don't drink anything other than juiced veggies, coffee, or tea (organic green tea or similar) unsweetened. I don't drink crap, no HFCS, no chemical sweeteners. Even last week though, I felt like I was starving my first week of Weight Watchers. I woke in the night with hunger pangs and would have to eat a pear or an apple (zero points!) to get back to sleep. So obviously, I was eating far less than usual because I felt it. I followed the plan rules perfectly though and didn't lose anything. Also, yes I measure and weigh everything. I'm obsessively careful to be accurate. That's what I don't get. So bizarre!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momgoddess
I was about 150 lbs when I started MFP and I was doing 1200 calories. I wasn't losing weight. I'd lose like a lb here, then I'd gain 2 back. Nothing was consistent. I also was buying "diet" foods to accomplish my 1200 calories and I didn't like what I was eating, knew all that "low fat" processed crap was CRAP and I didn't like how it made me feel, so I stopped tracking calories and I started juicing and only eating whole, organic foods. If I ate bread, it was only sprouted bread, occasionally... no sugar or processed foods, etc... But as I was just eating whole foods and staying away from chemicals, processing, GMOs etc....I gained 21 lbs. I'm now 171 and I was eating better than I ever have in my life. I cook only with coconut oil, use raw honey or grade B maple syrup if I need to sweeten something (but in moderation and seldom). I don't drink anything other than juiced veggies, coffee, or tea (organic green tea or similar) unsweetened. I don't drink crap, no HFCS, no chemical sweeteners. Even last week though, I felt like I was starving my first week of Weight Watchers. I woke in the night with hunger pangs and would have to eat a pear or an apple (zero points!) to get back to sleep. So obviously, I was eating far less than usual because I felt it. I followed the plan rules perfectly though and didn't lose anything. Also, yes I measure and weigh everything. I'm obsessively careful to be accurate. That's what I don't get. So bizarre!
I would honestly see a doctor. Something just seems off so I would start there and make sure any underlying medical conditions are looked at. How much protein do you eat?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
That happened to me where I weighed MORE almost a year after delivery than when I had her. Turns out my thyroid crapped the bed. I would get that looked at....also, are you nursing?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
sma123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Are you nursing? I have a VERY hard time losing weight while nursing.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Fruits are zero points? Natural sugars are still sugars. I'd cut back on all that fruit for longer than just a week. #2, more cardio, way more cardio (aim for target HR for at least 20 at the very minimum, gradually up to 30, then to 45-60 minutes. This does NOT include warming up & cooling down!) 6 miles of walking in a week is not enough cardio, even with stairs, for one day! #3, add in weights -you will burn more fat! #4 see a doc & get more expert advice.

Karvonen Formula to find your HR zone-
http://www.sportfit.com/sportfitglos...bic_krvnn.html
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
dncegrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I started using mfp and i had friends using ww. With my friends, they ate their points limit for the first couple of weeks and then tried to eat less than their points after that.
With me, using mfp i only ate a piece of fruit for dessert. I mostly ate veggies. I weighed all my food so i can get a feel for what portions look like.
As for fitness, 6 miles would be done in one day. I started doing zumba and running as far as i could every day.
Can u join a gym? If so i would suggest trying out a group class, for some people it makes it more fun and they end up working harder without realizing it whereas by themselves they dont push themself.
Glad you didnt gain! Thats a good step!
dncegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can imagine you must be frustrated. It's always discouraging when you feel you're doing the right thing and not seeing any success on the scale.

I started WW late December so I'm familiar with the plan. I know everyone is different but this is what has worked for me.

The first few weeks I stuck to my daily points allowance and did not eat any of the flex points. After that I started adding in a cheat meal every week so I had something to look forward to.

Even though you might still be within your points allowance try to eat more "real food" than the diet stuff. For instance, I can eat a small bag of Baked Lays with my sandwich and still be within my points; however, I've been choosing a small salad and a piece of fruit instead.

I also work out 4x/wk. I usually run 4 miles 2x/wk and do Body Pump the other 2 days. Try to find an exercise you enjoy. It will make it easier to stick with it. Zumba, Spinning, Body Pump, Step....there are so many options out there now.
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
momgoddess
Registered Users
seller

I don't eat diet food, I only eat whole foods. I only did that for a minute and hated it. I eat whole, organic REAL food only.

I did join a gym, but I'm a single mom and I don't have anyone to watch my baby so I had to bring her with me and put her in the kids club, but she would cry when I left her and they would come get me after 5 minutes EVERY SINGLE TIME because they "don't deal with crying babies" so my dd never was able to calm down and get used to being there. I kept trying and did so about 10 times with the same result, riding the bus with her all the way to the gym and not being able to work out, wasting 2 hours of our day with no workout because they wouldn't let her stay in the Kids Club if she cried. Then I gave up and wasted the two months I paid for, never getting a single work out. I'm afraid of the same thing happening and really can't afford to even try because I don't work, I'm only a full time student so money is non-existent.

So far this week I've been eating UNDER points. Yesterday I ate less than 1000 calories. Hopefully I'll see some sort of loss when I weigh in after this week.