Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

How common

..is the name Lily? I have the perfect middle name that isn't common but I don't want her to be in class with a handful of other girls named "Lily." My Mom LOVES this name and it grew on me and is similar to my Mom and Grandmother's names. But, I worry it may be popular. Sigh.

Advertisement

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Lovinmama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How common

It is rather popular and being more so each and every year (#15 on the SSA website). It is a beautiful name though!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
bezbabe
Registered Users
seller

i only know one little girl named lily (my sister's niece on her dh's side) and they live like 2000 miles away from us...lol...so maybe it's geographical?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
mercyscreation
Registered Users

My Mood:

My daughter's name is Lily Katherine. She's almost 6. When we picked it it was not very popular now we meet TONS of little girls named Lily. But if you love it then go with it!
~Alicia wife to bestie for 6 years ! Mommy to 2 beauties Gracie (1/30/10) & Lily (6/20/06), and my strong man Declan (5/4/12). I'm a CD'ing, sometimes wearing, exclusive BF, extended rear facing & harnessing, super frugal SAHM!
mercyscreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Could you add something to it to make it a little more unique? Lily-Anne?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know a 16 year old Lily and a 1 year old with the middle name of Lihly.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, it has gotten pretty popular. It was my number one girl name for a long time until I realized just how high up it is on the SSA popularity list each year! It is a beautiful name though!
EmilyA874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

I figured it was! Ugh, it goes perfectly with the middle name I chose but we may have to re-think the first name. I don't feel she has to have a super unique name or anything but I don't want a trendy name either, you know?

I did wonder if it's geographical though because I haven't heard it used around here.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Its very popular. Just about every group of kids we run into has a Lilly in it. Dd1 is Lillian-we call her Lilly. I had the name picked out as a child(after my great grandmother). It wasnt nearly as popular then when we used it(7yrs ago-or even when i decided as a child to use it) but even if it had been I still would have used it. My ggma was a very special person in my life and thats all that mattered to us. But, if it was just a name I liked with no real meaning behind it I probably woudnt use it now.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, it's popular. However, with my DD, I had a name that I LOVED and I've actually loved it since I was a kid. I didn't think my husband liked it, but it turns out he did too. It was in the top 10 or 12. (not when I was a kid) Plus, my BFF's dd has the name. She is 6 months older. (But, my BFF definitely knew I loved the name when she picked it. She even apologized for using it. To which I replied, "meh, Mike doesn't like it anyway." ) Anyway, we tried and tried to come up with another name and came close. But, I just kept thinking of that one. My BFF told me to just use it. I didn't want a name that was so popular, but I also got over that. We used it. I don't regret it one bit. In fact, I'm very glad we did. I really do love the name and I'm almost positive I would have regretted anything else. As it turns out, she calls dd a nick name and we call ours the full version anyway. And, I haven't cared that it's popular. We have rarely run into any with her name.

So, I say, if you love it, use it anyway! It's popular because it's a good name.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 05-14-2012 at 12:45 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote